Wal-Mart to video record your gun and ammo purchases?

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart to video record your gun and ammo purchases? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just thought y'all may want to know what may be coming to a Wal-Mart near you... In response to a question I posed to Wal-Mart ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart to video record your gun and ammo purchases?

Wal-Mart to video record your gun and ammo purchases?

Just thought y'all may want to know what may be coming to a Wal-Mart near you...

In response to a question I posed to Wal-Mart corporate about their practice to video record all gun and ammo purchases, here's the e-mail I received back:

"Wal-Mart understands its role as a leading, responsible retailer in the U.S. and is making strides to strengthen its already existing security processes to help combat illegal gun activity in the communities we serve. Wal-Mart has a long and proud history of offering the products hunters and outdoorsmen want and need and that will not change.

It is important to note that these procedures should not impede law-abiding citizens from purchasing firearms at our stores that sell them. These processes merely provide us, as a retailer, an additional mechanism to assist law enforcement when illegal activity occurs.

We are hopeful these enhanced processes with help from law enforcement and other retailers committing to do the same can make a positive difference in our communities.

Thank you,
    Wal-Mart Customer Relations"

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    When you fill out the 4473 at time of purchase, you call W. Virginia to get the information on the form to them, they then in turn tell you yeh or neh on the sale of that weapon to the customer.

What more security do they need in protecting their security process, with the exception of getting their employees to make sure the 4473 is filled out properly [ which most of them fail miserably at at WalMarts ].

These processes merely provide us, as a retailer, an additional mechanism to assist law enforcement when illegal activity occurs.

I think that policy protects them from their employees mistakes, not the buying public. If they are doing their job, the license information will match the 4473 form, and LE could track them down quite easily from there with DOB, address, SS# [ optional on form ], even if the information was out of date for some reason.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

They won't be video recording me buying any guns or ammo at their stores.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    They won't be video recording me buying any guns or ammo at their stores.
    I have not stepped foot inside a Walmart since they announced they would be doing this. I did go about once a week...no more.

Sponsor
    I'll bet their video tape is reused after a bit of time. I don't see them saving the tapes for any real length of time [ years, decades etc ]

If you walk into the shop I work at a few days a week, you ARE being recorded, I'd think many gun shops also use videotape as a security measure, but for reasons of theft, robbery, etc.

Being videotaped won't stop me from buying ammo at WalMart in the least.

Brownie

I guess I just don't see the correlation between illegal gun activity and folks who legally buy guns and ammo at Walmart. How does recording these transactions do anything useful, except keep an eye on those buying a legal product. Maybe we can get a discount card, and they can record all my transactions (like a Kroger card)... I just don't see criminals buying their "illegal arms" at Wal-Mart.

Senior Moderator
    There is more to this story. They are also keeping a written log of gun owners.

Your milage may vary, but in Florida, creating or maintaining this proposed roster is a felony.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    There is more to this story. They are also keeping a written log of gun owners.

Your milage may vary, but in Florida, creating or maintaining this proposed roster is a felony.

Matt
    Wal-Mart and Mayors Against Illegal Guns Announce "Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership"

"The new crime gun trace log will flag purchases by customers who have previously bought guns later recovered in crimes. "

Also, if you walk in the door of a Wal-Mart (as in any other store), you are on tape. Don't like it? Don't shop there. They aren't doing anything different than your local shop. Also, the videos are kept for six months, not forever. Part of the logic is to catch straw purchases. I doubt it will work, but that's their problem.

I know they don't do any of this crap at the local Wally World. The wife manages the sporting goods dept. there. As far as she knows, it's not even on the radar.

Sponsor
    The 4473's are permanent records of gun buyers with the ffl holder by law, they are saved forever and if the store goes out of business, their records [ the 4473's ] are taken into custody by B A T F automatically.

Don't like being on file for a gun purchase? Don't buy a gun or have a gun shipped to a gun shop where the paper work is mandatory.

Being videotaped is the least of the problems with the .gov types and purchasing/records of sales to others.

Brownie

Haven't we already done this...like dozens of times?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rg-merged.html

Jeez, the Walmart bashing is getting pretty silly. If you don't like their policies, don't buy guns there.

Heck, go to Target or K-Mart or Sears or some other department store and buy guns there...oh, that's right, they don't sell guns or ammo.

4473's are maintained regardless of who you purchase it from. Unless you are doing a private sale, it is going to become a part of some record somewhere.

Next time you go to your local gun store, ask if they will disconnect their cameras while you are in the store. Good luck with that.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

welp, my local gun store won't see any changes in my buying habits, as I already buy from them 100% of all my firearms.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Never bought a firearm from WM. Been buying ammo there though. Video? You're already under surveillance in alot of places you DON'T know about. Me? I could care less, too much other stuff to worry about. Real stuff, not if's, and's, or might's. Hate to tell ya, but when you're in public, you give up certain privacy rights. Photographed, video taped, or otherwise.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Since I'm not a hunter, and all Wally World sells is hunting guns, I don't see myself buying any from them.

If I did, on the other hand, I might be tempted to ask them for a copy of my video......to commemorate my purchase....

.....maybe have the manager come out and shake my hand as we smile for the camera.....

LoL

I thought I heard down the grapevine that wally world was going to stop selling firearms. I'm sure the added cameras will help law enforcement a ton since the bad guys all legally obtain their guns from Wal-Mart (sarcasm added).

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Since I'm not a hunter, and all Wally World sells is hunting guns, I don't see myself buying any from them.

If I did, on the other hand, I might be tempted to ask them for a copy of my video......to commemorate my purchase....

.....maybe have the manager come out and shake my hand as we smile for the camera.....

LoL
    Well here we go folks, another laugh out loud moment for me!

Funny, Mac...

Thanks!

Stay armed...get it in pics...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links