Airgun Ballistics performance

This is a discussion on Airgun Ballistics performance within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, didn't know where to post this, so Moderators please help here if I am in the wrong place. Anyway, I have been having ...

Thread: Airgun Ballistics performance

Hello all, didn't know where to post this, so Moderators please help here if I am in the wrong place. Anyway, I have been having an ongoing battle with the squirrel population since we are trying to sell our current home and don't need the critters getting into our attic. I had to retire my venerable RWS model 45 after the third seal kit wore out (I can't tell you how many thousands of rounds that went through that one) I decided to break down and get a replacement. I went with RWS (after all, the first one lasted almost 30 years) and bought the model 350 combo kit complete w/ a 4 power scope. Sighting it in was interesting, as the scope mount itself is used in the sighting process, and the scope knobs are only used for fine tuning. After completing this step, the gun was superbly accurate, although the recoil was pretty stiff. I chose the .22 caliber model, and chronographed the pellets. They advertise 900+fps, which is possible with flyweight pellets, but I could get only marginal accuracy with those. I did chrono the pointed field pellets offered by RWS (810fps) and the Beeman silver jet (800fps) and the Beeman Crow magnum (750fps). Ironically the Crow Mags were the most accurate, and boy do they hit hard!

Anyway, today was the day I finally had some time to begin systematic genocide of the squirrel population. I managed to get 3 of the rodents today, and one was quite memorable. A neighbor of mine had a measuring tape, and we measured the shots at an even 25 yards from the base of the tree to where I was standing. The rodent in question was at least 35 feet up in the hickory tree, so mathematical experts can figure out exactly how far he was away. I popped him with the first round, and he just hung there. The first round went literally through his eyeball and was stuck in his opposing eye socket. The second round went into his guts and eviscerated him. The round penetrated all the way through and was just under his skin on his back. The next round hit pretty much the same area and was lodged in his opposite shoulder. He fell then, and I dug the slugs out of him before I turned him over to my cats for consumption. here are the photos:

In the first photo on the left, that was the round that I dug out of the eye socket. The second photo was the first gutshot. The third photo was the next chest shot that ended up in the rodents' shoulder. the last picture is of an unfired crow magnum pellet.

I was quite impressed with the performance of these rounds. They hit very hard and expand well, something you don't see very often in an airgun. Just thought I would share with everybody.....
    Attached Images
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Cool. I've been battling starlings, lately. My neighbors decided to let a pair nest under their eave and they have been crapping all over my driveway and house. I managed to get one with the .22 Beeman Crow Magnum IV + Leupold 3-9x33the other day. I also use the Crow Magnum pellets. They do hit hard! Ya gotta love the thwack sound they make, when you hit one of the litlle buggers. When I shoot into my target trap, lined with plumbers clay, they completely expand.

I like pellet guns. They are relatively quiet, especially the PCPs, and don't alarm the neighbors when you are doing a little pest control, unless they see you. Some of them look like full blown hunting rigs.

I wish i had a lens that would allow me to get as close as your pics were, the pellets do expand quite nicely. I guess mine did not due to distance, etc. I was most impressed with the fact that I was able to get sufficient penetration, with great expansion of the pellet. With my .177 caliber model 45, I could never get that no matter what pellet I used.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Nice! I just used some regular flat tipped target type pellets when I was shooting pests last year at my old house. I got the Crosman Quest 1000 but never chrono'd anything. I got two confirmed kills. One squirrel (probably 20 yards or so - he took one in the neck and was bleeding and flopping around for a minute) and one rabbit (dead right there at about 10 yards, got him in the spine and he had a leg twitch for a minute but didn't move). I probably hit about a hundred other times on who knows how many of the little buggers, but those were the only ones that hung around to die. I may have to try out some of those fancy pellets....look like they work!

Austin

I've got an Diana Model 52 in .177 and used it when I was stationed in the Air Force. Many a pigeon and squirrel fell to it with it's Diana 3X Scope on it. The air rifles that the Air Force supplied were not worth using so I always had my own for use. I even killed European Hairs with it in Germany where they store nukes and the varmints were digging too many holes. I also dropped many a feral cat to it. After the squirrels caused too many electrical outages at Pope AFB NC back in the 1980s I got a depredation permit and my worker and I killed 70 squirrels in 1 day with it. We had a squirrel feed for the squadron that Friday. Turned out great, almost all of them were taken with head shots while driving on a electric golf cart. They had 80 pecan trees next to the golf course and commanders housing where they big problem was. Pecan fed squirrel is great.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Those Diana guns are awesome; My RWS 350 actually has the diana logo on it so I imagine RWS, being the conglomerate that it is probably owns dianawerk. As I said previously, my first RWS was a model 45 that I bought back in 1979, and I wore out 3 seal kits in that gun before I finally retired it; I cannot begin to tell you how many rabits, squirrels, cats, possums and other varmints met their maker with help from that gun, but I definitely got my money's worth. I used to have a model 48 in .177 that was pretty good, but that gun died a horrible death when a "friend" (or so I thought) I had lent the gun to used rem oil to lubricate it. He disappeared, and shipped the gun back to me from a UPS location in another state. He enclosed a small note stating that he was sorry, and someday he would repay me. I had to trash the gun as the mainspring was in about a hundred pieces with the piston jammed in the tube, unmovable.

What a waste........

But then I discovered the 350...

What did he do? Put oil down the piston chamber and blow it up when it dieseled? I accidently allowed some oil down in that chamber when a problem neighbors dog barked at me on my front porch. I grabbed the at the time a model 48 RWS and the gun cracked like a .22 High Velocity. I shot that bad dog in the butt and he never came back and barked at me on my front porch or crapped under the door of my pickup so I'd have to smell it all 13 miles to work. From that time on when I'd go out side that dog would see me and I would catch him peeking at me around the front of his Caddy and would hide as soon as he saw me make eye contact with him.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Links