Any way to transfer gun to someone living in DC?

This is a discussion on Any way to transfer gun to someone living in DC? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I ask this because I already know of DC residents who own guns---they owned them before moving to DC and keep them stored at a ...

Thread: Any way to transfer gun to someone living in DC?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Any way to transfer gun to someone living in DC?

I ask this because I already know of DC residents who own guns---they owned them before moving to DC and keep them stored at a friend's house in Virginia. Makes for a long drive every time they need to pick up the guns before an IDPA match, but hey, it's what works.

So this means it is possible for a DC resident to be the owner of a handgun, so long as it is not kept within the District as an unregistered (illegal) handgun.

I am trying to figure out if there is anyway to transfer a gun to a current DC resident, so long as the gun will not be brought into DC in violation of current law.

Yes, I know (and hope!) all of this will change eventually after Heller comes out, but I am wondering if there is any way to do this now. The problem I keep coming up with is that even a person-to-person transfer out of state requires an FFL in the receiving location (please, correct me if I am wrong), and I am thinking it'd be kind of hard to find a transfer dealer in DC.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

Unless you have to "register" the firearm, you don't have to transfer anything, if you're holding it for a temporary DC res. As-is, there is no legal DC possession I am aware of. "Possession" means owning, not simply having on one's person, though I doubt they'll prosecute for a weapon in Uncle's house in Kansas...but it doesn't do much good there.

Easiest and best thing is for them to move out of DC.

VIP Member
    Technically no. Since they would not be able to show residence in the same state as you or id showing residence in the same state as you, you could not transfer a handgun to them without going through an FFL where they legally reside. Since they cannot purchase a firearm where they legally reside, that is problem as I see it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Links