Browning A-Bolt

This is a discussion on Browning A-Bolt within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am checking out the Browning A-Bolt rifles and found a couple things. a) there are about 20 different "A-Bolt" rifles- anyone know what the ...

Thread: Browning A-Bolt

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Browning A-Bolt

I am checking out the Browning A-Bolt rifles and found a couple things.

a) there are about 20 different "A-Bolt" rifles- anyone know what the main differences are? I am looking for one to use for hunting, so no shiny barrels necessary! I am leaning toward a .308 caliber, wood stock and, of course, bolt action.

b) why are some "A-Bolt" models available in only one or two calibers? I was just wondering, thought this was strange.

2. Remove Ads

I like my A Bolt. The bolt only turns 60 degrees to unlock, and I like the detachable mags that go on the floorplate. Mine is way accurate, and it is a pre- BOSS model. The BOSS system is interesting, but I won't send mine in to add it, it just shoots too good to goof with the barrel.

I think you see a lot of different models based on finish options, stock material, action size, and left or right hand. Action size limits caliber options. Do yourself a favor, and spend as much on the scope as the rifle.

VIP Member
    Go with the hunter or micro hunter depending on feel. Both models have a matte finish.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Lead Moderator
    I love my A bolt. It is a accurate , light deer rifle. Mine is the pre BOSS as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The Micro Hunter is the only A-Bolt chambered for .308 (of those two- Hunter & Micro) so I would go w/the Micro in .308. How does the A-Bolt Micro compare to the Savage 110?

They are only about $150 apart in price, so that wouldn't stop me from going one way or the other.

VIP Member
    The fit and finish (over all look), steel quality (less likely to rust while hunting in the rain), and rifle stock fit (mine came factory glass bedded)are much better on the browning. Some of the smaller features are nicer on the Browning too (detachable magazine, much shorter and smoother bolt lift , smoother bolt travel).
    The browning is a premium quality gun, while the Savage would be considered entry level. Think of a Cadillac compared to a Chevy Cavalier. All that said however, Savage does make an accurate rifle. IMO the best in their price range, they're just not as nice or as smooth as the Browning. If you have the extra cash the Browning is well worth it, and with care will last you a lifetime!

As to your other question about why only one or two rifles in each caliber on some models, the answer is economics. Browning probably sells less of that model so they only make them in the high demand chamberings.
    Last edited by atctimmy; May 18th, 2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: global warming
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

Excellent- just what I needed to know. Thanks ATCTIMMY!

VIP Member
    I think you will be very happy with your purchase. Get a good scope though. I really like Nikon's monarch line. Leopuld makes great stuff too it's just a little more money than Nikon.
    Mark Twain:

Links