ccw smells like an aquarium

This is a discussion on ccw smells like an aquarium within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So there I was helping my 7yr old daughter cross an easy set of rocks going across a stream and the next thing I know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ccw smells like an aquarium

ccw smells like an aquarium

So there I was helping my 7yr old daughter cross an easy set of rocks going across a stream and the next thing I know we're both sitting in 1.5' of rushing water (fresh water). We landed without issue and once she stopped freaking out, we got out OK.

My S&W 340 w/crimson trace was in my front pocket holstered in a leather pocket holster.

When we got home I took the crimson trace handgrip off and removed the batteries, blew compressed air through the revolver and grips, oiled everything, put new batteries in the crimson trace and put everything back together (laser works fine).

Do I need to do anything else to the revolver?

How about the leather holster? Just let it air-dry and deal with the fish smell?

Oh, and the ammo in the revolver... toss it or should it still be good? (factory rounds).

Thank you!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The ammo will be good.
    Wrap the gun in a layer of plastic wrap put it in the holster and let dry.
    One of the gunsmiths here will probably chime in on the gun if you need to do more, though I would spray it good with breakfree, drain well, and dry it with warm air hair dryer.

Sounds kinda fishy to me.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Why not put those 5 rounds aside for plinking? They'll probably work just fine at the shooting range but... dunking ammo in water can only increase the chance of failure. Don't risk defending yourself with ammo that you know has a small chance of being spoiled.

VIP Member
    The ammo will probably be OK, but you never know. Use it for the range and put new carry rounds in the gun.

The gun should be OK if you dried it out well and oiled it up. Just be sure to check it for the next couple days for any signs of rust and don't put it back into the not yet dry holster bare.

As for the leather, maybe one of our holstermakers will chime in.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I washed a magazine of ammo in the washer one day and it shot fine,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

DC Founder
    There are internals to a revolver that may contain non-stainless parts including springs that may still rust. I would recommend taking it to a gunsmith to check out or at least just ask what he thought needed to be done.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    In this case, a bath in WD-40 seems to be in order (WD=water displacement). If you don't know how to disassemble and reassemble the innards of your gun, I'd at the very least use the little red straw and flush out the lockwork - go in from in front and behind the hammer, through the trigger, and where the hand comes through the breech face. Don't forget that the springs inside the cylinder are most likely carbon steel as well! If you're not comfortable with this, or are afraid of dinging up the side plate or bending a rod, I'd definitely take it to a gunsmith. It wouldn't take but 15 minutes of his time to ensure the gun is fine.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I would think the smell of the holster will go away.........after all none of my holsters actually smell like a cow........
    Last edited by Reborn; May 19th, 2008 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    In this case, a bath in WD-40 seems to be in order (WD=water displacement).
    Nevernevernverever. Especially in a revo. I'm not too keen on having to do the paperwork everytime a weapon goes to the smith, so I've learned DIY.

You can get the Kuhnhausen S&W Revolver shop manual from Brownells quite reasonably.

If you want quick& dirty and highly effective, dunk the whole thing (minus CT grips) into a container of Marvel Mystery Oil (about $3/qt at Wallyworld.) Hang up muzzle up & drip-dry. Heating with a hair dryer will help you get the excess out. The excess,BTW, will come out along the hammer spring.

No buildup or gumming, will clean every nook and cranny, and offers modest lubricity as a CLP.

I'm not a fan of WD-40 for anything other than blasting a squeaky door hinge. Back in the day when I used to work on copiers I'd occassionally bump into a machine that some well-meaning individual had tried to "repair" using WD-40. The stuff gums up like mad.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I didn't mean to imply using the WD-40 as a final treatment, only initial after the dunking. I'd degrease the crap out of it and properly lube it before storage or carry, but heck - EVERYONE has WD-40 lying around, and it's a good stopgap measure until you can get home and get it stripped and properly cleaned.

Get some damp rid, stick the 340 and open damp rid in the micro ( or a small cooler, somtheing fairly airtight) for a day. Also take the grips off. If you want to make sure every bit of water is out of the smith then use the small cooler (with the damp rid) and lock it in your car and let the sun heat the whole thing up. Nothing like the inside of car on a hot sunny day..that and the damp rid will get it dry.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I'd dump a ton of CLP over the innards of the pistol since you probably don't want to take it apart. Do it a couple of time and than let it drip dry overnight prior to hitting it with the hair dryer. Works for me at least once a year when I'm fly fishing and go for a dunk. Some of my pistols are a pain to tear down.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I would think that what you have done would suffice. However, to be safe and to be sure that a Bang will happen when you pull the trigger a good smith cleaning would never hurt. Reborn mentioned his hosters don't smell like cows ... please don't ask him what they do smell like.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links