Ex-wife freaked out about my gun

This is a discussion on Ex-wife freaked out about my gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been divorced for some time now and have two boys from the marriage. One is three years old and the other is five. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ex-wife freaked out about my gun

I have been divorced for some time now and have two boys from the marriage. One is three years old and the other is five. I pick them up from school every single Friday and keep them for the weekend. When they are with me I either have my Glock19 on me IWB or secured in the safe in my closet. My five year old saw my gun a few months ago and questioned me about it. This gave me a chance to get both boys together and gave them a lesson in safety about guns and what to do if they see one at a friends house or at school. I told them never to touch one and if they see one to leave the area right away and tell an adult. I told the five year old that I will teach him to use one when he gets older.

I fully expected my sons to tell their mom when I dropped them off the next day and also expected to get the phone call from their mom. But this never happened. Months went by and the boys were no longer curious about my gun when I had it on me. To me this is good because they will be less likely to be tempted by curiosity if they come across one anywhere.

Then today I got the phone call. All I heard was screaming and carrying on about what was I teaching my son and why do I have a gun and how unsafe that was and so on and so on. When I finally got a chance to speak I found out that my oldest finally mentioned it to her in the car on the way to school. When I finally got a chance to speak the first thing I said to her was I hope she did not make a big deal out of it in front of the kids. Secondly I told her that I loved my sons just as much as her and that I am extremely safe with them around. I also told her that whenever they are old enough I will teach them how to shoot. I think thats what really set her off.

She says she is gonna take me to court because I'm endangering my kids. At a certain point I stopped listening to her because I was at work. Anyway I know she will eventually calm down and if she does not, I'm not worried because I have not done anything illegal.

This just showed me how anti-gun people can be. It's something that I can't understand. What do you all think about this?
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Don't be fooled this can explode in your face in a hurry. Call your attorney immediately and give him/her your side of the story. This way they will be able to jump on it with both feet before it gets out of hand. There have been others in a similar boat that were made to look like Charles Manson want-to-bes. Even though you did nothing wrong remember that there are a few Judges that don't care what you say. In their mind the fact that you are a divorced man and a gun owner makes you the very incarnate of the most vile evil imaginable. Good luck with it but be ready to spend alot of bucks

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    At a certain point I stopped listening to her
    Problem solved
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have been divorced for some time now and have two boys from the marriage. One is three years old and the other is five. I pick them up from school every single Friday and keep them for the weekend. When they are with me I either have my Glock19 on me IWB or secured in the safe in my closet. My five year old saw my gun a few months ago and questioned me about it. This gave me a chance to get both boys together and gave them a lesson in safety about guns and what to do if they see one at a friends house or at school. I told them never to touch one and if they see one to leave the area right away and tell an adult. I told the five year old that I will teach him to use one when he gets older.

I fully expected my sons to tell their mom when I dropped them off the next day and also expected to get the phone call from their mom. But this never happened. Months went by and the boys were no longer curious about my gun when I had it on me. To me this is good because they will be less likely to be tempted by curiosity if they come across one anywhere.

Then today I got the phone call. All I heard was screaming and carrying on about what was I teaching my son and why do I have a gun and how unsafe that was and so on and so on. When I finally got a chance to speak I found out that my oldest finally mentioned it to her in the car on the way to school. When I finally got a chance to speak the first thing I said to her was I hope she did not make a big deal out of it in front of the kids. Secondly I told her that I loved my sons just as much as her and that I am extremely safe with them around. I also told her that whenever they are old enough I will teach them how to shoot. I think thats what really set her off.

She says she is gonna take me to court because I'm endangering my kids. At a certain point I stopped listening to her because I was at work. Anyway I know she will eventually calm down and if she does not, I'm not worried because I have not done anything illegal.

This just showed me how anti-gun people can be. It's something that I can't understand. What do you all think about this?
    I'm not a lawyer but I don't think that her case would hold up in court. You were just teaching them about gun safety. I think you did well. I'm in the process of teaching mine as well. As a reminder, make sure you have a safe and it's not in their reach.

In a gun friendly state like Florida I don't think it should be too much of an issue. However, I'm not sure what Florida's laws on CCW and restraining orders are, but hopefully she wouldn't take that kind of action against you, something you might want to consider. If you have a lawyer on retainer or that you use, I don't really see any harm in telling them, although I am not one.

If the weapon is always on your person and locked up, and you are teaching them about gun safety, I don't see how it can be endangering.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

You were only teaching them about gun safety. The boys would verify it. The mom would not be a witness as she saw nothing of the FACTS OF THE MATTER just what was told to her and even then she did not allege any illegal activity. Listen again to her words, what you are "teaching" your son. She backs you up, ironically, in that it was in fact just teaching. She uses the word herself. Anything illegal about teaching? You are all set.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    There is one thing to add here, though. I have some friends in Florida and have heard some horror stories about how, um, zealous Child Protective Services there can be. I would say there is at least an outside chance that she could try to go through CPS with this, which might result in some sort of legal order keeping you away from your kids, which would also, of course, affect your CCW status.

No, I don't think this approach is likely to succeed, but depending on how irrational your ex is, you may not be wrong to have some concerns here. LIke others have suggested, you might want to talk to a lawyer just to have your bases covered.

Good luck!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Two GREAT letters jumped out at me when reading your thread..."E" & "X"...

They say...you know why divorces are so expensive, because they are worth it...

On a more serious note...you'll probably never convince her about the purpose of being armed...
    Congrats...on talking with your kids about firearm safety...

...and I agree with SIXTO...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I already posted. But ours is the age of worry. What will what I do and say right now look like ten years from now? Am I legal in the way I get out of bed in the morning? Can anyone really accuse me of a crime? Does the neighbor think I stole his newspaper?
    Walking on eggshells all of our lives just because we might get sued or someone might accuse us. This is our society, where the first person we talk to about anything is a lawyer. We have come a long way. A long sad way.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

There is a reason she is referred to as an EX.

You obviously learned something about your relationship with her that made the two of you incompatable. Now, on to your sons and Gun Safety.

In the event that she does try to use your gun ownership against you, become an NRA Certified Safety Instructor. Yes, this will take a little time, money and effort on your part, but it will give you a knowledge base for teaching and you will have certifiable documentation that you know gun safety if she ever drags you in to court over this.

BTW: I'm not a lawyer, and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I'm just a guy that has seen some of life and I'm just giving you the same advice I'd want someone to give me if I was in your shoes, given what I've seen in life.

Biker

Great idea BikerRN. NKMG19, I would do just that. I like it because it is preemptive action taken. IF a particular judge is anti-gun, he or she cannot argue with well, he is an NRA certified instructor, of COURSE he says things about guns to his own sons.....

Get an Eddie Eagle training packet from NRA, use it with your Children. If your ex persues leagal action, present the program as evidence. I would cover all baces just in case, you all will benefit regardless what happens.

See, that preemptive strike stuff is very very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Get an Eddie Eagle training packet from NRA, use it with your Children. If your ex persues leagal action, present the program as evidence. I would cover all baces just in case, you all will benefit regardless what happens.
    Thanks, I'm on it right now.
    NRA Member

I think it's unfortunate that she doesn't trust that you're responsible enough to not endanger your children. I think you should take this opprotunity to educate her on just how safe your guns are and the precautions you take when they're around to ensure their safety. Might wanna keep the "i'm gonna teach them how to use guns" stuff to yourself though and rest assured, the judge will laugh her out of the courtroom if she brings this case to court. The act of owning a gun in and of itself does not justify her claim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links