Ear protection

This is a discussion on Ear protection within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering what kind of ear protection people use, I shoot with a guy who doesn't use any, I usually use the foam but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear protection

Ear protection

I was wondering what kind of ear protection people use, I shoot with a guy who doesn't use any, I usually use the foam but I'm wondering if I should find a pair of the electronic ear muff...

2. Remove Ads

Anything is better than nothing. I use the foam earplugs with earmuffs on top of that. I definitely do not want to lose my hearing when it can be prevented. The electronic earmuffs are good, just a little pricey.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

The little plastic ones that have a case that I push in my ear, and the Ear Muffs that were sitting next to them on the shelf at Wally World.

I wouldn't go shooting without both of them on. After working on an Aircraft Carrier for over 4 years, I want to conserve what hearing I have left.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I use some foam ear plugs as well as over ear muffs.

Huh? sorry, I couldn't hear you.

I used to use some old ones that you would button on some BDUs since they had that nifty plastic carrying case I could clip on to my range bag. Then it hit me, I have a range bag and can afford the space to get a decent pair of ear muffs. So I now use ear muffs (Winchester I think) that I bought when Sportsman's Paradise went out of business in Lewisville, TX.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Definately use ear protection. I usually use the ear muffs when shooting my pistols but put both the plugs and muffs on when I shoot rifles. It doesnt take too many times of having a gun fired near you without ear protection to have permanent hearing loss.
    I have a pair of the electronic ones that I use when I go hunting. The ones I have are good enough but they deffinately don't block as much sound as the normal ones I wear. But, I want to be able to hear what is going on around me when I hunt so they are a happy medium.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    So I now use ear muffs (Winchester I think) that I bought when Sportsman's Paradise went out of business in Lewisville, TX.
    That was a sad day, indeed.

Although I thought it was Sportsman's Wearhouse...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Outdoors I use either electronic muffs (Radians or Peltor; I have both) or Sonic Defender EP-3 earplugs. Indoors I use both. WOuld probably use both outdoors for high-powered rifle, too, if I had one.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

I think you are right, if it was Sportsman's Paradise it might still be open
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I use ear plugs and they work fine one problem with some muffs is if you are shooting a rifle the stock may push up the muff and result in no hearing protection,the guy that shoots without any protection will be wearing a hearing aid in a few years,over time before you realise it you will have significant hearing loss
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I use ear plugs and they work fine one problem with some muffs is if you are shooting a rifle the stock may push up the muff and result in no hearing protection
    I feel the same way, but I use both. Foam plugs when shooting the rifle that pushes up ear muffs with a good cheek weld. I wear the Peltor muffs over my foams any other time at the range. Heck--I'm used to it-I'm required to wear both at work and for good reason. Forge shop.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Personally, I think the electronic muffs are better than peanut butter and jelly in the same jar. I do a lot of running the range on post and the electronics let me talk to the people signing in while the others are shooting. With 2 people using them, you can hold a conversation even with the loudest guns going off right next to ya. My only dislike, is when the wind gets going pretty good, sometimes it shuts them down.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Indoors I use foam inserts and passive over the ear muffs. Outdoors foam inserts and electronic ear muffs. I find electronic muffs don't always cancel all of the noise on an indoor range. In really high noise environments, damage to hearing can come in through the neck and jaw area. Consequently consider wearing a high padded collar and good head cover.

I use these. NRR 29dB. The Superfit Classic 33s are the same, but have an orange ring in them as a guide to how far they go in (basicly, if someone can see orange, they arent in far enough), and they have a NRR of 33dB. I've got a bunch of Superfit 33s, that's what I wear at work and they're provided by the company. These are uncomfortable, but they work well if they'll fit in your ear.

If you see me wearing earmuffs, I've also got plugs in. I dont like muffs because my safety glasses interfere with the seal. As mentioned above, riflestocks can as well.

I normally dont double up unless I, or someone nearby, is shooting a loud caliber indoors (shotgun, centerfire rifle, just about any centerfire handgun with a ported bbl).

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

Huh, I would have assumed it was Sportsman's Warehouse, but I was wrong once.

I use foam cheapos outdoors, but if moving inside, I'll use the electronic muffs. I don't see much added benefit for the E.M's for a casual shooter though, standard muff would be fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links