Pistol Training for Minors in NY State

This is a discussion on Pistol Training for Minors in NY State within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This isn't a concealed carry issue, but my family was having a discussion about doing things with sons and daughters and it came up that ...

Thread: Pistol Training for Minors in NY State

Pistol Training for Minors in NY State

This isn't a concealed carry issue, but my family was having a discussion about doing things with sons and daughters and it came up that since my sister only has a son, and I only have daughters, my sister enjoyed shopping with my daughter. I mentioned that I liked having the opportunity to do "guy things" with my nephew like going to the range shooting. My 16 year old daughter said: "I'd do with you".

Great!!! So I looked online for appropriate laws regarding minors and handguns on a registered ranges in NY and found a reference to a bill signed by Gov. Pataki allowing minors over 14 and under 21 to shoot on an incorporated range without a pistol permit.

I know that any legal advice is worth what I paid for it, but does anyone know if this law is in effect, what the parameters are, and if you've taken advantage of it with your youngsters.

If I can train my daughter in the proper use of a handgun, it might be something that she's good at (and might save her life).
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Wow, every time I read one of these it scares me how restricted some people are.

I don't know the answer to your question, until you asked it, it had never occured to me that people can't just go to the range whenever they want.

Honestly, I would just call the range that you were going to attend and ask them how they like to handle minors at their range.

Congrats on getting your daughter interested!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Hi-

Here's a direct quote from NY State law:

Persons between age 18 and 20 may possess and use a handgun at an indoor or outdoor pistol range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in small arms or at a target pistol shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by the NRA and while under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of a certified instruction and while possessing or using the instructor's licensed handgun.

A minor at least 14 years of age may hunt with any rifle or shotgun, provided he has a valid hunting license and is accompanied by his parent, guardian or other parentally-designated adult who also holds a valid hunting license.

The way I read this, a minor would not be allowed to "possess" a handgun in NY State. I would also take that to mean use as well. You migght want to double-check at your local range, but I don't know if there are any exceptions. This is not a legal opinion, but just my interpretation of the law.

The full code can be found here:

Firearm Laws for New York

Hope this helps,
    Jonathan
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Wouldn't it be simpler to move to a free state like PA or VA?

Good luck on your search and happy shooting!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links