Would you leave your guns in the car?

This is a discussion on Would you leave your guns in the car? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to the range today. I had with me two Glocks and a shotgun along with all my other gear. I had some errands to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you leave your guns in the car?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Went to the range today. I had with me two Glocks and a shotgun along with all my other gear. I had some errands to run and was debating whether to leave all that hardware in the trunk (actually covered in the back as it is a CRV) while I ran into the stores. I opted not to, instead going home, bring in all my gear and heading back out.

Just wondering, if you had some errand to run on the way home from the range, if you would leave all your stuff in your car while you run into various stores.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

If I can hide them I will as long as it's
    1. not dark
    2. quick in/out..no browsing
    3.. known area

I stopped and picked up steaks today on my way back from the range. Hid a brand new Springfield Armory TRP and a new single action 45LC I picked up today.
    in and out...5 min. Parked in front of a camera :-)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

As long as my stop is not going to be too long (more than 30 min.), I see no problem with it. I would rather make the stop on the way home than have to get back out.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

B52
    I went shooting yesterday and of course my wife wanted me to run a few errands afterwards. Like you I went home dropped off my gear and headed out with just my CCW and a backup magazine.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I prefer not to. I did it at Wal-Mart on the way to the range with my wife after buying her new MK9. Without it on my CFP, and it not being on hers either, we could not carry it in with us. It stayed in the trunk but it was daylight and the stop was quick. I was worried the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    I prefer not to. I did it at Wal-Mart on the way to the range with my wife after buying her new MK9. Without it on my CFP, and it not being on hers either, we could not carry it in with us. It stayed in the trunk but it was daylight and the stop was quick. I was worried the whole time.
    You mean you have to have the weapons you carry registered,In Texas we can carry any firearm we choose to as long as we qualified with a semi auto if you qualified with a revolver you can only carry a revolver but any revolver you choose.And I have left weapons in my car when I went in a store before but It was just to pick up grocerys and my windows are tinted and i covered it up with a jacket
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Leave them long term? NO
    Short term? Yes.......I have Gunvaults bolted in all our vehicles.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

A 'collection'? (more than one)...NO!
    My EDC for a short term stop...Yes...and it will be my COM safe...well hidden...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Yea I have done it. Well hidden, everything unloaded, and for short in and out trips.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

i do it all the time, usually on my way to or from hunt camp in the cab of my pickup. but my windows are very darkly tinted, and the guns sit below the door, so someone would have to have their face pressed against the window to see the guns. i've gone to work and left my truck in the parking lot full of most of my collection on several occasions, but it's a busy parking lot, i park near the front, and i can see my truck through the glass store front. i'm still paranoid and check it several times a day though when i do that.

All the time. As a matter of fact, there is a rifle in my trunk right now...it's been there for months.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Leave them long term? NO
    Short term? Yes.......I have Gunvaults bolted in all our vehicles.
    With the gunvaults, are they hidden enough so passengers don't ask questions?

Just curious..

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveLFF View Post
    With the gunvaults, are they hidden enough so passengers don't ask questions?

Just curious..
    That would depend on if you hide it well enough or not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    The ultimate anti-theft tactic is to take them home and not stop to get out anywhere. Even locking them in a car safe, you could lose them if they stole your car. Practically speaking though a quick stop in a "safe" place with the guns covered up is probably low risk. That being said, I typically make brief stops somewhere and leave guns in the car. They are never in plain sight.....no need in using my guns as bait.

We went to the Tulsa gun show a couple of months ago. At the end of the first day we were not going to leave our gun purchases in the car at the hotel parking lot overnight. The hotel even had fresh warnings posted around about recent car break-ins. We walked right through the lobby carrying our newly bought rifles. They were all in gun cases. As we were coming in, we met an older lady leaving out, as she saw us coming in obviously carrying guns, she stopped momentarily and watched us. I made eye contact with her smiled, nodded, and said, "Good evening" and kept walking.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I have left a couple in the car, a small number of times. Felt that a quickie, in-and-out type of stop would be fine. But then, cars get stolen all the time, in that period of time.

Why do we carry? Because anything can happen. Same with cars being stolen. Not likely, though.

Still, all things considered, if I still have errands to do that are going to take me away from the car for extended periods, I head home and remove the guns from the car.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links