I shoulda had safety glasses on - Page 2

I shoulda had safety glasses on

This is a discussion on I shoulda had safety glasses on within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yeah you should have. I had a lady catch a piece of brass on her shooting glasses today after she had a kaboom. It's still ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah you should have. I had a lady catch a piece of brass on her shooting glasses today after she had a kaboom. It's still stuck to the glasses since we couldn't get it off. Just goes to show you that you should always have you personal protective equipment on. However, I'm glad your OK.

Thanks for sharing. I normally wear my regular glasses; after hearing this I'll find some protective ones that I can wear over.

Say there matey...do ya' like those black eye patches? Arrrrggghhh...
    Get yourself to an eye doctor ASAP...you CAN get by with one, but two eyes make things work better!

Stay armed...wear your gear...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I normally wear my regular glasses; after hearing this I'll find some protective ones that I can wear over.
    This last time around, I just got prescription safety glasses. I just snap on the side shields when I go to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    Yes, go see an opthamologist eye surgeon.
    Now!!!!!!!!!! From a man with some odd things inside his eyeballs!

sorry to hear about what happened, hope you haven't lost any permanent vision in your eye. I remember shooting a bucket of water with my bb gun to see what it would do kinda one of those duh situations but the bb came back at me and hit me right underneath my eye. I was lucky that the bb didn't enter my eye, it just came back at me right underneath my eye. Since that day I have made sure to where eye protection.

I just found out another doctor I shoot with is an opthalmologist and I got an appointment to get x-rays tomorrow,my other doctor buddy told me there are no nerves inside you're eyeball so you wouldn't feel anything in it only the outer damage,and they said about 1/4 of the circumference of the brass case was missing,probably what you would see happen in a 40 glock that had an unsupported chamber.How come nobody asked if the gun was okay,what kinda gun nuts are you anyway,LOL.My .45 had a really strong odor like 1/2 burnt powder and the stainless finish was grey and black in spots,I stripped the gun and checked it out,the magazine was destroyed,the left wood grip was split in half between the screw holesother than that the gun had no other damage,I'm wondering if firing almost 400 rounds of 45 lead bullets caused enough leading in the rifling that on the last round it created a dangerous over pressure,very few of my cases get loaded more than a couple times as I pick up new once fired brass at the gun range when i need it and usually leave the brass i shot on the ground about once or twice a month I sweep up a big bag of cases and sort them.There are only about 3 people that reload at the gun range i shoot at.The injury to my eye was a gash about 1/8" long about 1/4 inch from the dark part in the white,and some cuts in my lower eye lid,I can see just fine and have no pain but i'm getting a shiner
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    ER tip - breathe rapid and shallow when you approach the check-in desk. If they ask if you have trouble breathing, say 'Yes'.
    DO (Doctor of Opthamology) tip - Assuming it's regular business hours, they'll jump at a chance to see anything unusual, especially trauma.
    Range tip - EYES & EARS! EYES & EARS! EYES & EARS! Repeat as necessary.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

I hope your eye is OK. It's a very scary thing to have happen.

This brought back a memory from decades ago when I was on a week-long Boy Scout trip. Out at a lake in the middle of nowhere. Archery class. One of the scouts didn't listen to instructions and placed an arrow on the bow, into the bowstring. Instructor didn't notice what the kid was doing. Kid put very slight tension on the bow, arrow slipped from his grip and launched from the bow. It hit the instructor in the eye, on the edge, but fortunately without enough force to kill him or permanently damage the eye (as far as we knew.) Had there been any real pull on the bowstring, I doubt that the instructor would have been doing any more camping, ever.

Side note: I remember from my Dad who was an orthopedic surgeon that there was a huge difference in how the medical personnel responded to charts marked "Urgent" vs. "Stat." Urgent meant "within the next four hours" and Stat meant immediate attention.

+1000 on wearing eye protection.

A couple of years ago I had piece of brass break off and hit me in the face--it would have hit me in the eye, except I was wearing eye protection. Never thought of NOT ever wearing it, but re-affirmed my believe eye protection is absolutely needed.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Went to the doctor today and he dug about 12 shards of brass the size of dust outta my eye,plus he saw powder stippling on my lower eye lid ,my eye is so sore right now I can't hardly see to type ,got a checkup tomorrow and in a minute i'm laying back down with a fresh ice pack,I will always where glasses from now on in fact I'm buying a set tomorrow that not only fit good but aren't tinted for the indoor range.With what I had to pay after insurance I could of bought some really nice glasses.Later, shoot safe
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Went to the doctor today and he dug about 12 shards of brass the size of dust outta my eye,plus he saw powder stippling on my lower eye lid ,my eye is so sore right now I can't hardly see to type ,got a checkup tomorrow and in a minute i'm laying back down with a fresh ice pack,I will always where glasses from now on in fact I'm buying a set tomorrow that not only fit good but aren't tinted for the indoor range.With what I had to pay after insurance I could of bought some really nice glasses.Later, shoot safe
    If gas wasn't so expensive I would take a road trip just to slap you upside the head. You know better than that.

I'm glad you went to the Dr. and got the brass out of your eye. I wish you would have stayed at the ER in the first place, but knowing me, I would have left, too.

Here's to hoping everything returns to normal. And I'm sure this is one lesson on PPE you'll never forget. Thanks for updating us.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Emergency rooms are a big fat joke. I hope everything works out for you. I think I would go see my doctor whether it starts getting infected or not. It would better to know that nothing is wrong than to assume. Best of luck to you. Keep us informed.
    I beg to disagree with that comment, we just don't get to chose the kind and volume of patients we get. A corneal foriegn body takes a back seat to someone who may be losing their life....hmmm...maybe that's why its called an EMERGENCY room, and not a family doctors office.

But you should have waited. Your sight is worth a few hours of your time.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Went to the doctor today and he dug about 12 shards of brass the size of dust outta my eye,
    That is why you should always, always get eye injuries checked ASAP. It's fairly easy to damage your cornea by abrasion to the point where you lose vision.

For those advocating "faking in the ED," I'd advise against it. We may treat you like the stuff you're full of... Folks coming in have no idea what other events are going on, and lack the capacity to judge or evaluate.

Having said that, not all EDs are worth your time, but remember, it is a reciprocating cycle: we hear people explaining how they "accidentally" came to have 3"x15" foreign objects in body cavities; "accidentally" got drunk and broke both legs trying to pole-vault onto the second story of their apartment; "attempted suicide" by taking two 200 mg Tylenol... it breeds cynicism and disgust. Contributing drama is neither necessary nor appreciated.

I'm sure I've posted this before, but NOW is a good time to do it again. Safety glasses should be worn for every activity you do - not just shooting. I lost my right eye from the inpact of a railroad spike... (splitting firewood)... it went thru my safety glasses, severed the eyelid, and went completely thru the eyeball, ending up in the sinus cavity. If it had not been for the safety glasses, the spike would have entered the (very small) brain. As a result, I have a box full of very expensive artificial eyes - it has to be replaced every two years at $2500+ each time, not covered by insurance. Perscription lenses should always be safety. There is no excuse for not wearing them - none at all. Shooting 1911 style guns are very bad about ejecting back to the face. One more thing - if an eye is damaged, and you don't do anything about it, an infection can set in..the body may try to reject the infected eye, but might reject both as a result. It has happened many time, that is why I elected to have the ruined eye removed rather than take that chance. Nuff said.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links