I shoulda had safety glasses on - Page 3

I shoulda had safety glasses on

This is a discussion on I shoulda had safety glasses on within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm actually glad I posted this,I think we get complacent and cut corners sometimes,but there has been a lot of great feedback on why you ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I shoulda had safety glasses on

I'm actually glad I posted this,I think we get complacent and cut corners sometimes,but there has been a lot of great feedback on why you should wear safety glasses and not just for shooting but during any activity a foreign object could get propelled into you're eyes,and if it happens get you're eyes checked ,just cause I didn't feel anything didn't mean there wasn't something imbedded
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Oh no he didnt..

Crazy stuff! Glad to hear youre oK.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLFF View Post
    Emergency rooms are a joke, but one trick to them is to call an ambulance. Ambulance driven patients are seen before walk-ins, as far as I know(unless its obvious reasons to see the walk-in first). Sat with a shattered wrist for 8 hours one night waiting... with a pack of ice that melted 7 hours ago.

I dont even know where to start with this... ^
    This is the mentality that most of society has, and it causes me the most grief at work.

Example: Guy with severe toothache walks into hospital at 3am, but sees that the ER is packed so he goes back home. An hour later he decides to phone 911 so he "doesnt have to wait." We show up, transport the guy to the hospital where we tell the charge nurse what his complaint is and then she/he decides based on SEVERITY where he should be placed. "Take him to triage" (the waiting room) and "have him sign in." At which point guy decides to leave and go back home only to call again and requests to be taken to another hospital where it also placed in triage. He couldve taken some OTC meds to get him by and seen a doctor in the morning, but decided to try and be slick. THE ER IS NOT A DOCTOR VISIT! Its there to weed out true emergencies from ******** and keep the rotation of beds available for these emergencies. A toothache, or leg pain might be seen as a true emergency to the person experiencing it, but it would be safe to say is not life threatening. Eye injury? ...

An unknown eye injury like the one in this thread, although very scary, on a stable/ambulatory patient in which there seems to only be a minor laceration is usually seen as lowest priority and need specialized care. If he had caled 911 he would most likely be placed in triage and have to wait. That is life. Now if the ER was slow, nurses werent overwhelmed, and beds were all empty back there, then he would have been resting in a bed until the doctor showed up. Or reffered to an eye doctor later that day.

"Tricking" the ambulance and hospital isnt as easy as you think and we can figure out the story pretty quickly. We see this crap ALL the time. It might work great here and there, but the other times you might just end up with well documented bloody nose

(my partner has anger issues at after 2am)

"Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

I can't believe you say that...

Emergency rooms are a big fat joke.
    They are not a joke at all - I work in one and we get bogged down with patients that don't need to be there. Your eye was appropriate to go to ED, but as others have stated, triage is a planning process to get more serious injuries/illnesses seen first - Like it or leave it!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    If gas wasn't so expensive I would take a road trip just to slap you upside the head. You know better than that.
    Anybody willing to chip in a little gas money to see this......... Both guys have guns.......
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Anybody willing to chip in a little gas money to see this......... Both guys have guns.......
    Yea I will chip in $10. By the time I get around to sending it, that should barely be enough to buy a gallon of fuel.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Oh, come on...I was going to wait until his eye heals up...

Seriously, dukalmighty, hope you make a complete recovery.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Man, I sure hope everything is okay. Thanks for the reminder too.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

My eye is fine,I have a little redness that is going away,no pain or discomfort at all but on tuesday it looked like I was getting a pretty good black eye going on,I actually went to the gun range Friday and plan on going saturday and sunday,If I don't shoot at least 4 to 5 hours a week I feel like i'm slipping,gonna take some pennies to the range sunday where we tape them to a cardboard target and take turns shooting 3 rounds each at 10 yards to see who can hit the most,It's a lot of fun and makes you concentrate on sights
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Just saw this. There's been enough reinforcement of the glasses bit, so:

Glad to hear all is well. Get well soon.
    God, country, family.

VIP Member
    There is much good out of this thread. I usually rely on my polycarbonate prescription glasses. Yesterday I got my safety glasses out and put them in the same baggie as my hearing protection.

A personal story like the OP's beats 200 words of wisdom from folks who have not ever had an accident.

I have an update at the range today they saved my brass and after inspecting the case closer It was a Winchester case we came to the conclusion that the case was double charged with powder that's why the smoke cloud and the case blowing out,the primer was bulged and had a hole in it where the firing pin hit,my gun had a really nasty half burnt powder smell to it til i cleaned it,At least I know that a SA 1911-A1 will stand up to 9.8 grains of unique pushing a 200 grn bullet more or less ,the case and magazine and grip didn't,data says don't exceed 5.1 grains,even with a double charge in the case there was lots of room left,I'm seriously thinking about a powder check sensor for my dillon to help eliminate a light or heavy charge in the future

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links