I shoulda had safety glasses on

This is a discussion on I shoulda had safety glasses on within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was shooting my SA 1911-A1 I was shooting 200 grn LRN behind 4.8 grns of unique,I had shot around 200 rounds and was on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I shoulda had safety glasses on

I was shooting my SA 1911-A1 I was shooting 200 grn LRN behind 4.8 grns of unique,I had shot around 200 rounds and was on my last round when I pulled the trtigger there was a loud boom and I felt a rush of heat in my face,my eyes reflexively closed and when I opened them my left hand was black from powder It wasn't burnt,I called out to my shooting buddy,he's a doctor and told him my gun just blew up,my face looked like I just came out of a coal mine and after counting fingers I had them all and there was some blood on my face from some superficial scratches,but now the bad part,my right eye had about 1/8 inch cut in the white eyeball i'm assuming from the brass.I found the casing and the rear of the case right in front of where the extractor would sit had a chunk missing and the primer was bulged out,I'm almost positive I didn't double charge the case or I think the results would of been worse,the left grip was cracked in two and the magazine had the follower blown inside the magazine.I haven't disassembled the pistol yet but the slide functions and there is no obvious barrel or frame damage.I should of had my safety glasses on but i was shooting the last 6 rounds I had before we left,I went to the emergency room and at 8pm was told I wouldn't be seen by a doctor for 6 to 8 hours,I said is this the emergency room,they said yes,I said if I was having a heart attack would I be seen Immediately and they said yes so I grabbed my chest and let out a gasp,then said never mind and went home.If my eye sweels up or looks like I might get infected i'll go to my doctor tuesday
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You shoulda had safety glasses on. Repeat 500 times before bed.

Emergency rooms are a big fat joke. I hope everything works out for you. I think I would go see my doctor whether it starts getting infected or not. It would better to know that nothing is wrong than to assume. Best of luck to you. Keep us informed.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I wonder If i'm gonna have a "flinch" now
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

duk, sorry to hear about that. +1 on going to the doctor anyway...Eye injuries can be strange things. Wear your PPE...I know you've heard that before!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    Hey...don't take any chances with your eyes.
    Make it a point to get that eye checked out no matter what.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Get your eye checked out.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Definitely get the eye checked out regardless. Schedule a normal doctor visit if you have too.

Emergency rooms are a joke, but one trick to them is to call an ambulance. Ambulance driven patients are seen before walk-ins, as far as I know(unless its obvious reasons to see the walk-in first). Sat with a shattered wrist for 8 hours one night waiting... with a pack of ice that melted 7 hours ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Get your eye checked out.
    +1 to that and everyone else who has said it, and will say it. Don't mess with your eyes, If you loose a finger, you got 9 more, but if infection sets in or something else goes wrong, you loose half your vision and 100% of your capacity to determine distance and depth.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveLFF View Post
    Definitely get the eye checked out regardless. Schedule a normal doctor visit if you have too.

Emergency rooms are a joke, but one trick to them is to call an ambulance. Ambulance driven patients are seen before walk-ins, as far as I know(unless its obvious reasons to see the walk-in first). Sat with a shattered wrist for 8 hours one night waiting... with a pack of ice that melted 7 hours ago.
    Well, some people think that coming in by ambulance gets you to the front of the line, but I can tell you that I took many minor cases to the hospital via ambulance, and walked them into the waiting room to be seen by the triage nurse just as if they had driven themselves.

Cases get seen in order of medical priority, not order of arrival.

For the OP, 2 things:

1. Get that eye seen ASAP. By the time you decide it is infected, it might be too late. Go to an urgent care clinic, whatever, but get it seen ASAP.
    2. Wear your damn safety glasses.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

How to get fast medical care:
    If it is during normal working hours (not at night or on weekend) go to your regular doctor's office. If you are crying out in pain in their waiting area or bleeding on their carpet they will fit you in as the next patient. Not eyeballs but this is from experience (at least this works well with lacerations).

Based on your post I assume you reload? Do you know how many times that casing has been reloaded?

Good luck, as long as the eyeball juice didn't come out and your eye didn't get all deflated and wrinkly you should be ok.

And don't forget hearing protection either.

VIP Member
    Definitly go get your eyes checked out immediately.
    I never wear safety glasses when I shoot, but in my defense my regular glasses have polycarbonate lenses. It's difficult to find safety glasses that will fit over regular glasses.

Poster Boy for PPE

Post a picture with the heading "Here is why you must wear your safety equipment"

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Well, some people think that coming in by ambulance gets you to the front of the line, but I can tell you that I took many minor cases to the hospital via ambulance, and walked them into the waiting room to be seen by the triage nurse just as if they had driven themselves.

Cases get seen in order of medical priority, not order of arrival.

For the OP, 2 things:

1. Get that eye seen ASAP. By the time you decide it is infected, it might be too late. Go to an urgent care clinic, whatever, but get it seen ASAP.
    2. Wear your damn safety glasses.

Matt
    It's not just risk of infection either. There could still be a piece of brass/steel/plastic/whatever still in the eye working around in there causing more and more damage. Just because all you see is a "cut" doesn't mean there's not shrapnel inside. GET IT CHECKED!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Yes, go see an opthamologist eye surgeon.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links