Novice question: Leaving Round in chamber

This is a discussion on Novice question: Leaving Round in chamber within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Glock box has a warning label about not "storing" the firearm with a round in the chamber. If my weapon is always holstered, either ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novice question: Leaving Round in chamber

Novice question: Leaving Round in chamber

My Glock box has a warning label about not "storing" the firearm with a round in the chamber. If my weapon is always holstered, either on my person or in a quick-release safe, isn't it better to have it "fully" loaded at all times?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Yes.

For home defense I always like a round in the chamber, unless there are little children around.
    God bless our troops!

If the weapon is used for defensive purposes, then yes. It is useless to you if it will not imediately go bang when you need it to go bang.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJake View Post
    Yes.
    +1 Yes! I keep one in the pipe at all times. The second or so it might take you to rack the slide, could make all the difference. This is known as Condition 1 for carrying... Ready to Fire! For more info, you can check this link:

Cocked and Locked by Robert H. Boatman
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by yemenmocha View Post
    My Glock box has a warning label about not "storing" the firearm with a round in the chamber. If my weapon is always holstered, either on my person or in a quick-release safe, isn't it better to have it "fully" loaded at all times?

Thanks
    That is a manufactures liability issue. Nothing more, nothing less.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    It is best to have your weapon ready NOW. However, if you are at all unfamiliar with your own gun or guns in general, you best make sure you train yourself very well to keep your trigger finger, or any finger for that matter, very much away from the trigger when handling/holstering that weapon.

Glocks do not have any safety other than the trigger block safety (unlike a 1911 or Springfield XD which have grip safety also).
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Thank you everyone for the polite & informative replies. I know I'm new here and the answer is probably obvious to everyone but me. Thanks!

You may be at a greater risk by not keeping a round in the chamber at all times. In my opinion you should only have two conditions that the weapon is in.

1. Empty(check to make sure, slide locked back, visual and physically check the chamber and magazine well).

2. Cocked and locked, ready to go.

Anything else cause to much confusion and will lead to a mistake.

A couple of weeks ago I was exposed to a Negligent Discharge because somebody carried his gun without one in the chamber. What happened was that he knew that I was a SWAT guy/firearms instructor. He had a concealed carry license and wanted to show me his gun. I said OK.

He went and got it from his truck, took the magazine out, locked the slide open and handed it to me. I looked at it and gave it back to him. He then seated the magazine, sent the slide forward, then pulled the trigger. Bang! The gun fired and took out a chunk of pavement near me. He looked surprised and stated, "What happened?" I stated, "I think you pulled the trigger." He was holding the gun way away form his body at this point(even though he had been around guns all of his life, you could tell that at that moment, he was afraid of it and didn't want to hold it, which is common with a ND). I took the gun and unloaded it for him.

I talked with him and figured out that he didn't like to carry one in the chamber. He stated that normally the slide was forward when he inserted the magazine, so when he pulled the trigger to take the tension off of the trigger, the gun wouldn't fire. I had a talk with him about firearms safety, proper unloads, and the idea of not pulling the trigger unless he was no target and ready to fire. The point is he was very comfortable around firearms. Too comfortable. It was a disaster waiting to happen.

we all need to learn somehow
    When I first started carrying, it scared the poo out of me to have a round in the chamber. Now, it scares the poo out of me not to. Well, not really but I think if you have a gun for defensive purposes, any advantage you have at the outset of a confrontation is worth having. I do think that it is better to have good gun handling skills (ie finger off the trigger) and one in the chamber than to not have the skills and rely on racking the slide in an emergency.
    Personally, I have become so used to keeping my finger off the trigger that I even keep my finger of the drill trigger when I pick it up without thinking about it.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Quote Originally Posted by yemenmocha View Post
    Thank you everyone for the polite & informative replies. I know I'm new here and the answer is probably obvious to everyone but me. Thanks!
    It's good that you asked. That's what the forum is all about. Usually, on a question like this, most of us are in agreement.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Can't really offer much more other than another recommendation to always have your carry weapon ready to go.

That is a manufactures liability issue. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Actually-----it's not.

My Glock box has a warning label about not "storing" the firearm with a round in the chamber.
    Storing in this case refers to long term. Any Glock pistol stored for long term should have the chamber empty and the trigger back with tension off the striker to promote longevity of the striker spring. Carrying or putting in the safe until the next day with a round loaded is not an issue. Personally, whenever I swap Glock pistols, I'll eject the loaded round and pull the trigger back and leave it and recycle the ones in the magazine where the last chambered round goes to the bottom.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Actually-----it's not.

Storing in this case refers to long term. Any Glock pistol stored for long term should have the chamber empty and the trigger back with tension off the striker to promote longevity of the striker spring. Carrying or putting in the safe until the next day with a round loaded is not an issue. Personally, whenever I swap Glock pistols, I'll eject the loaded round and pull the trigger back and leave it and recycle the ones in the magazine where the last chambered round goes to the bottom.
    Agreed, but the warning label I assumed the OP was speaking of is a "dummy" sticker to appease the legal dept.

I think the issue your addressing is deeper in the owners manual, and if its not I know its in the armorers.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, if the sticker is on the box, and the box is to be used as the storage container, then of course! The only way to store a Glock pistol in it's original box is with the trigger back! Not a good thing to try and force a loaded Glock pistol into it's original box for storage. No, no, no. Makes sense to me now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links