Guns in the home with children

This is a discussion on Guns in the home with children within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think this is the right spot for this topic as it doesn't relate to concealed carry.... I read someone mentioned they keep a firearm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns in the home with children

I think this is the right spot for this topic as it doesn't relate to concealed carry....

I read someone mentioned they keep a firearm on the head board and that they have children aged 14 and 16. I also keep a firearm near the bed unlocked, but was wondering how those with children do it and how it relates to the kids' ages.

I always want to keep a firearm near me, but those terrible thoughts always creep into your mind of your child sneaking in while you're asleep, or maybe you forget to lock the gun up next morning. Just a couple things that have crossed my mind.

So, how do some of you folks (with children) do this? We don't have kids yet but it's a topic we talk about.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

This subject has been covered eleventyhundred times across multiple threads and the same thing is almost always said by the same people.
    Run a search.

After that get over to your local WalMart or Dick's and invest in a proper quick entry/access safe.
    Do not share the combo or digital passkey with your children nor guests.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I guess more specifically I'm wondering at what age (for child) a parent might choose to no longer lock or hide a gun at night. It just crossed my mind when another user posted tonight that he keeps a firearm by his bed with a 14 and 16 year old in the house.

My apologies -- I realize almost every topic has been covered a hundred times over... :(
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Now that question is much more grey for many folks.

It's not just your own children but their friends too and the relative maturity of them all that you not only need to be concerned about and toward, but also if by chance your judgment is incorrect then guess what happens when Johnny law comes knockin at your door. Not to mention in many states it is a _crime_ as in a felony to leave firearms unsecured within a residence or place where 'minors' are either residing or known to be located. Check your own local regulations and state laws for clarity to that end.

Further it goes against the basic rules of safe and proper firearm handling and storage...

NRA Gun Safety Rules

Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
    Many factors must be considered when deciding where and how to store guns. A person's particular situation will be a major part of the consideration. Dozens of gun storage devices, as well as locking devices that attach directly to the gun, are available. However, mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules.

NRA Gun Safety Rules
    Serious business that should be thought on with much seriousness as a 'mistake' can result in very serious repercussions.
    Myself in my house with my own kids and guests and adult visitors who commonly stop by all of my firearms and ammunition are stored locked up in durable containers as per state law, if not kept on my person directly.
    At night they are locked cocked and locked in a quick access safe next to my bed well within arms reach. I keep a knife and a bat near the bed as well in the event I have no time to gain access to the guns. My kids both know they are never to touch dads knives as they are kept extremely sharp.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    I guess more specifically I'm wondering at what age (for child) a parent might choose to no longer lock or hide a gun at night. It just crossed my mind when another user posted tonight that he keeps a firearm by his bed with a 14 and 16 year old in the house.

My apologies -- I realize almost every topic has been covered a hundred times over... :(
    That is very much an indivdual decision on your part.

My father had a loaded gun by the bedside for as long as I can remember. I learned early on that it was a serious "DO NOT TOUCH".

Eventually, with my father working all sorts of hours, I was allowed to keep my own loaded pistol in my nightstand from the age of 15 until I moved out. There were certainly some circumstances that allowed that to happen, the most important of which was that I had proven the level of maturity to handle that priviledge.

Right now, I have a 3 year old and an 8 month old. We have a loaded pistol in each nightstand inside quick access lockboxes. We do not fool ourselves into thinking these are 100% fool proof, but they serve as an additional level of security. Our primary security for the kids is that they are not left in our bedroom unattended, and getting into the nightstands is a "NO-NO" , period.

Hope that helps.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Start the kids out in the NRA's Eddie Eagle program, it's wonderful. They lose their fear and are less likely to succumb to the burning desire to pick one up. As soon after that (and you may want to repeat it a few times, the kids get a charge out of being the leaders, you start taking them shooting as observers only, but you explain everything you're doing. Gradually they pick it up and are ready for a BB gun or maybe a Chipmunk single shot .22. From that point on, if you've still got their interest, you'll have a championship shooter in training. Once the curiosity is quelled, the gun is nothing mysterious and taboo. Then you just have to be vigilant when other kids come over. They are a powerful influence to your well-trained and respectful children. The firearms MUST be locked when there is company in the house or your own children are home alone. As a reward for a year's worth of satisfactory gun handling skills, I pulled the firing pins from their personal .22's and .410's and let them keep them in their rooms on a gunrack they each built. That was the deciding moment. Freedom at last! With all they've learned up to this point, they will now control any friends who are less experienced.

Both my daughters (yes, girls learn faster than boys) are now young adults and have their CCW's. One carries a 9mm Colt Combat Commander, and the other just switched to a Kimber Stainless Compact in .45. I'm extremely proud of both of them. I had no sons, and they stepped in with gusto.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

My 13 and 14 yo daughters have been introduced to my firearms, gone to the range with me, and even (gasp!) 'assisted' in the cleaning afterwards. My firearms hold very little mystery to them. My 5 yo son however is a work in progress and will be introduced a step at a time. I'm working on "tell an adult, no touchie" with him right now. He's been to the range with me but much mor intrested in catching lizards and 'showing' them to mommy.

If I'm not carrying, then my sidearm is close by....up and outta the way of young (and older) eyes. If I'm at work or at some "gun-free zone", it's locked up. I make no mistake in underestimating my 5yo, he'll get into just about anything he can so if not on my person, the gun is 'put up'. At night, my sidearm is close but certinaly not out in the open night stand.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    My own kids started very young. My son was shooting machine guns at 12 and I started taking my daughter to shooting competition at 3. Its the neighbors kids that I alwasy worried about. I now have a lock on the master bedroom door and that room is off limits to my grandkids and such.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

My daughter is still a bit young, but soon will sit with me when I clean my pistol. I'll eventually start taking her to the range. Even so, until I'm absolutely confident she won't do anything foolish, the gun stays locked in a small safe by the bed.

-JT

It may not be your children, but their friends who might get them into trouble. I would teach them not only about firearm safety but what to do when they have friends over who are not from a family who owns guns. There probably is no magic age, just your trust in your children when you feel they are responsible enough.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Too many horror stories...especially with kid's friends. Lots of cases where the kid's friend tried to act like Wyatt Earp...

Just a very bad idea leaving weapons unsecured...

Rick

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Depends on the kid. My 15-year old has access to a locked gun at all times. I bought the gun specifically for her to use. It's for when I'm not around, because Mom is in permanent condition white. If I had it to do over, I'd give daughter access to a gun sooner.

I have a friend who has a 15-year old also. My friend specifically keeps his guns away from his kid...

As far as friends coming over, we're anti-social.

For little ones, I'd probably buy a quick-access nightstand safe, and have a backup plan in case the safe wouldn't open.

As far as my night gun, it's not locked in a safe because I implicitly trust my daughter, and because I want immediate access.

These answers are great -- thanks for the patience.

My two-part response:

What I do:
    I have a push-button safe in which I store a loaded, +1, 9mm at all times. That safe is in a closet immediately next to my side of the bed, and located on the upper shelf.
    When I go to bed at night, I check all the doors and windows, make sure I have a phone in the bedroom, and unlock and open my safe. When I wake up in the morning I close it back up.

Why I do it:
    I want easy access, but we have multiple little ones in the house (as well as more than a few older ones), many (all?) of which end up in my room throughout the course of the night. They are all fully aware that Daddy has guns, so there's no big "oooohhh . . . it's a gun!" mystique. But even though the odds are extremely slight of them actually coming into my room and picking up my gun off of the dresser or something else like that, I feel much better with it out of their reach in my closet.

Now, what to do with the older ones? They don't know the safe's combination, and that is by my wife's request. She's known a few kids in her lifetime that have committed suicide with a household gun, and that has scared/scarred her a bit (not that she's an anti . . . she's just not entirely comfortable with guns).

That being said, however, both my older boys (ages 13 and 15) have easy and full access to their hunting shotguns and ammo at any and all times. Their maturity level is sufficient and so is their respect for the weapon. Neither are cowboy/Rambo types: they love to hunt and shoot but don't feel they have to impress anybody by childishly showing off a weapon.

As the other posters have mentioned: this is really going to be an issue of an individual being intimately familiar with his/her own family situation, personalities, etc. What I do works well for my house. It may not work for yours.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    As far as my night gun, it's not locked in a safe because I implicitly trust my daughter, and because I want immediate access.
    Just wanted to clarify that I don't leave a loaded gun laying around unattended. My "night gun" is my EDC which goes with me during the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links