My first IDPA match - Page 2

My first IDPA match

This is a discussion on My first IDPA match within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just shot my very first IDPA match this past weekend. I shot SSP and had classified as a Marksman a couple weeks prior. They ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first IDPA match

I just shot my very first IDPA match this past weekend. I shot SSP and had classified as a Marksman a couple weeks prior. They weren't able to announce results the day of the shoot because the scorer had to leave for an emergency. He just posted the scores online and I am trying to learn as much as I can from them, Our local club shoot had 40 shooters and in the overall times, I landed 21st of 40. I was 10th of 17 SSP shooters and 3rd of 3 SSP/MM. When I looked at all the Marksman regardless of Division, I was 5th of 10. All this suggests I am pretty average. So I began to compare my score versus the guy who won overall. His score 68.55, mine 101.14. His Penalty Time =0, Mine = 5 (I hit a no-shoot). His total points down = 41, mine = 19. It struck me odd that I shot a cleaner match than the guy who won. I began to look and I had the second lowest points down. Lowest was 17. The range was from 17 to 80 with the average at 37.

Now all the time I hear, you can't miss fast enough, I thought everyone is meaning the "0" zones. Are they really meaning the target all together? Right now, since I have only been shooting for 5 months, I am more concerned with shooting clean quickly. It would appear that those who shoot lightning fast and can at least get their shots on target, are the ones leading the group. Is this consistent with the sport as a whole? Would be interested in hearing from other IDPA competitor's.
    Awesome! Done real good in my book. So---what pistol did you use, what ammo did you use, what classification did you shoot? I did my first USPSA match with Glock 17 production for minor class. I thought about going back the next day doing limited 10 with the same pistol, but did not. Now I'm thinking to go with the G22 in major in limited 10. I'm addicted enough to do the matches whenever they are available, and when my work schedule allows. From one newbie to another, what do you think about the whole ordeal? Major or minor? I missed alot of steel on my first---got to get it down to using the sights more for distance. It's a learning experience for me---a good one, and I need to practice and challenge myself even more.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I'm hoping to go to an IDPA match on the 14th. I hear that it is really fun and informative. It looks like a great way to practice on technique for real-life applications without going to a school.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Ram Rod,

I used a S&W M&P9. I don't think IDPA has major/minor classes, but my only option would be minor with a 9mm. I used factory Blazer Brass 115 gr. I have yet to try USPSA / IPSC. Although I hadn't planned on doing anything but IDPA, everyone I have talked to says you have to at least try it, so I probably will.

I agree, it's addictive. I'm checking out all kinds of info online and have booked my schedule around upcoming events. Good Luck to you!

Steve

As it was put to me be careful what you pick up. Some times the rules/ROs will not allow you to do things as you would in the real world.

It is good from the pressure side of things.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by PSIShapiro View Post
    Ram Rod,

I used a S&W M&P9. I don't think IDPA has major/minor classes, but my only option would be minor with a 9mm. I used factory Blazer Brass 115 gr. I have yet to try USPSA / IPSC. Although I hadn't planned on doing anything but IDPA, everyone I have talked to says you have to at least try it, so I probably will.

I agree, it's addictive. I'm checking out all kinds of info online and have booked my schedule around upcoming events. Good Luck to you!

Steve
    Thanks--same to you. I think I must have all of them confused actually. USPSA/IPSC/IDPA. My club matches are USPSA sanctioned. Me? I'll call it practical pistol for myself. All I can say is that I take this venue a bit more serious in nature than those who have stated that it's all a game. Count my shots, reload before slide lock/empty, point shooting/aimed fire, etc. Being a newbie to the matches I guess is being blessed in a way. I'm not competing against anyone, or even looking for a high score in the stack. It's training to me that I otherwise probably couldn't afford. Lord knows the cost of a couple hundred rounds of factory ammo, plus travel expenses is enough, but it's actually a bargain for me.

I can only afford to shoot IDPA. Doing both IDPA and IPSC/USPSA would be way too much, especially since ISPC/USPSA matches tend to have a much higher round count. IDPA stages are supposed to be limited to 18 or so rounds. I've heard of IPSC stages going 30 - 50 rounds per stage. For IDPA, I usually just pick up one box of 100-ct 9mm WWB from Wally World before the match, and I'm good to go, usually with extra ammo left over.

When I'm more equipped, I'd love to give 3-gun a try, though.

The M&P9 is becoming popular with the group I shoot with. For the small group of shooters I normally shoot with, half use the M&P9, and others have bought the gun and plan on using it.

-JT

I've heard of IPSC stages going 30 - 50 rounds per stage.
    True. My first match was THE big 'yearly' match for the club on the circuit. Seven stages-minimum round count was 198 I believe. Ten 4" round steel targets ate my lunch on the second stage and taught me my lesson real quick like. It only got worse after that. At least it tells me what I need to do. Practice, practice, practice. I can do that on my own and avoid embarrassment.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    I'm hoping to go to an IDPA match on the 14th. I hear that it is really fun and informative. It looks like a great way to practice on technique for real-life applications without going to a school.
    It is a good way to start but it will never substitute good training by a good instructor. As for what is allowed or not allowed in the range, you must remember that Safety Rules apply specially in a shooting sport so some stuff that you would not care too much about IRL will have to be taken in serious consideration in an IDPA match.

You can pump the round count a bit higher than 18 rounds....but you better be a good revolver shooter! The 18 rounds is for the Revolver Shooters that are allowed 3 speedloaders in the belt plus the shooter starts with a fully loaded revolver for 24 rounds in total as opposed to 31 for ESP or SSP.

Headquarters says that all CoFs should but not necessarily be revolver friendly.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    It is a good way to start but it will never substitute good training by a good instructor. As for what is allowed or not allowed in the range, you must remember that Safety Rules apply specially in a shooting sport so some stuff that you would not care too much about IRL will have to be taken in serious consideration in an IDPA match.

You can pump the round count a bit higher than 18 rounds....but you better be a good revolver shooter! The 18 rounds is for the Revolver Shooters that are allowed 3 speedloaders in the belt plus the shooter starts with a fully loaded revolver for 24 rounds in total as opposed to 31 for ESP or SSP.

Headquarters says that all CoFs should but not necessarily be revolver friendly.

Yeah, I think the 18 round stage limit for IDPA is a recommendation rather than a rule...I'll have to check the rulebook to be sure.

Our local group has used IPSC stages that were left up from one of their matches. Tends to go over 18 rounds.

I once shot a stage with a Texas Star. First time I ever shot at one of those, and it was from over 10 yards away...I think around 15. Dried up my ammo for the stage on that sucker.

-JT

<g> The 18 round limit is a hard, fast rule. You could stage another gun on the stage (on a dummy or in a drawer, etc), and get some more rounds that way (even as far as using a shotgun or a rifle). We've done it that way and it definately makes for a learning experience for the newer shooters.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Well, I shoot CDP which only gives me 25, so I hope not to see any stages that require more than that, "revolver neutral" or otherwise!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Well, I shoot CDP which only gives me 25, so I hope not to see any stages that require more than that, "revolver neutral" or otherwise!
    I was borrowing a 1911 and shooting CDP on that dreaded Texas Star stage. Eight round mags can run dry alarmingly quick with that bloody thing.

However, I probably would've ran dry even if I had my Ruger, as I can only load my mags to 10, anyway.

-JT

VIP Member
    I did not make myself clear with the 18 round thing and I apologize. I meant to say that you can shoot more than 18 rounds not that a stage can be designed (IDPA legally) to shoot more than 18 rounds.

As for revolver, the rulebook says:

CoF 22. CoF should be “revolver neutral” whenever possible.
    See glossary for further details.

And we do live in a Semi Auto World....
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links