My first IDPA match

This is a discussion on My first IDPA match within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just shot my very first IDPA match this past weekend. I shot SSP and had classified as a Marksman a couple weeks prior. They ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first IDPA match

My first IDPA match

I just shot my very first IDPA match this past weekend. I shot SSP and had classified as a Marksman a couple weeks prior. They weren't able to announce results the day of the shoot because the scorer had to leave for an emergency. He just posted the scores online and I am trying to learn as much as I can from them, Our local club shoot had 40 shooters and in the overall times, I landed 21st of 40. I was 10th of 17 SSP shooters and 3rd of 3 SSP/MM. When I looked at all the Marksman regardless of Division, I was 5th of 10. All this suggests I am pretty average. So I began to compare my score versus the guy who won overall. His score 68.55, mine 101.14. His Penalty Time =0, Mine = 5 (I hit a no-shoot). His total points down = 41, mine = 19. It struck me odd that I shot a cleaner match than the guy who won. I began to look and I had the second lowest points down. Lowest was 17. The range was from 17 to 80 with the average at 37.

Now all the time I hear, you can't miss fast enough, I thought everyone is meaning the "0" zones. Are they really meaning the target all together? Right now, since I have only been shooting for 5 months, I am more concerned with shooting clean quickly. It would appear that those who shoot lightning fast and can at least get their shots on target, are the ones leading the group. Is this consistent with the sport as a whole? Would be interested in hearing from other IDPA competitor's.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by PSIShapiro View Post
    I just shot my very first IDPA match this past weekend. I shot SSP and had classified as a Marksman a couple weeks prior. They weren't able to announce results the day of the shoot because the scorer had to leave for an emergency. He just posted the scores online and I am trying to learn as much as I can from them, Our local club shoot had 40 shooters and in the overall times, I landed 21st of 40. I was 10th of 17 SSP shooters and 3rd of 3 SSP/MM. When I looked at all the Marksman regardless of Division, I was 5th of 10. All this suggests I am pretty average. So I began to compare my score versus the guy who won overall. His score 68.55, mine 101.14. His Penalty Time =0, Mine = 5 (I hit a no-shoot). His total points down = 41, mine = 19. It struck me odd that I shot a cleaner match than the guy who won. I began to look and I had the second lowest points down. Lowest was 17. The range was from 17 to 80 with the average at 37.

Now all the time I hear, you can't miss fast enough, I thought everyone is meaning the "0" zones. Are they really meaning the target all together? Right now, since I have only been shooting for 5 months, I am more concerned with shooting clean quickly. It would appear that those who shoot lightning fast and can at least get their shots on target, are the ones leading the group. Is this consistent with the sport as a whole? Would be interested in hearing from other IDPA competitor's.

Hey, congrats on your first match!

I shot my first 'official' match this past weekend, having joined IDPA the same day at the match. Plus, it was the Classifier. I didn't shoot nearly as well as I would've liked, but I made Marksman in SSP. Better than Novice, I guess.

My instructor, who just made Master in SSP, made a good point: the difference in speed between Expert and Master isn't really all that great. What is significantly different is the accuracy. A lot more 0's and -1's from the Masters, and a LOT less -3's and misses.

Stage 3 of the Classifier is a good example of that for me. You can shoot it fast, but at that range, a lot of misses will happen if you're not careful, and it can easily destroy your score.

-JT

VIP Member
    Congrats and welcome to IDPA!!!!

It depends A LOT on the Courses of Fire. Some designs will allow more for speed and will compensate for any points down penalty you may incur. Gamers actually analyze a CoF and make a decision on either going fast or accurate. The trick is to design a Cof that forces you to be both.

Let me give you an example of a quick and easy way:

The Top set is a vanilla CoF. 3 Shoots and one non-shoot. Unless the distance is considerable, you can trade points down for speed. However the Bottom set up will force you specially if you set the shooter farther away and/or force him to take low cover. With the position of the targets plus the hard cover painted makes for a bit more challenging CoF.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Congrats on getting into the game. It's certainly a lot of fun.

The issue with the points down is that you can shoot fast and go for zero hits and get a couple of -1 hits and that's not really going to hurt your score in the big picture. If you are going for all zero hits and are really focused on getting those, you're not pulling the trigger as fast as you could be.

I have shot a few matches zero down but have not been able to WIN a match and be zero down. The closest I have come is 2nd overall, first in division and zero down. It's difficult to do but I believe it can be done.

Hitting the no-shoots really hurts your score. That's 5 whole seconds added to your time. A miss is 2.5 seconds.

If you enjoy it, practice and you will get better. Pay attention to what the fast shooters are doing and ask them questions. "Why did you shoot the stage that way?" "Where would be the best place to do my reload, and would I be better off doing a tac load right there instead of shooting to slide lock?" etc. etc.

Established shooters are generally open to questions and will answer them as best they can. There are no secrets in this game, only things you haven't seen yet.

Good luck!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Stage 3 of the Classifier is a good example of that for me. You can shoot it fast, but at that range, a lot of misses will happen if you're not careful, and it can easily destroy your score.

-JT
    Miss a head shot in Stage one and you might as well pack it

I know... I am still stuck as ESP Marksman after the last Classifier
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Thanks Miggy for the course layout example. I do have one question. On the targets shown on the bottom, if your shot lands in the black painted area, how does that score??

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Miss a head shot in Stage one and you might as well pack it
    Ugh, no kidding. For all three stages, T1 had some sort of friggin' force field around it for me. Really, really weird.

-JT

You know, it's not so much "analyzing the course of fire", but more just taking the shots as you see the sights where you want them. That takes longer on a distant target than on a close one.

To do anything but that is to invite misses. <g>

Congratulations guys--you're going to have some fun with IDPA!

HK Dan-
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSIShapiro View Post
    Thanks Miggy for the course layout example. I do have one question. On the targets shown on the bottom, if your shot lands in the black painted area, how does that score??
    A full circle shot inside the hard cover is a miss or -5 down. If you hit the edge of hardcover and some of the bullet "lands" in the brown, the shot is considered good.
    Randy Cain.

PSI, Your observations are similar to mine. I have been shooting IDPA for almost three years,SS in CDP.

We usually have over 50 shooters at our monthly match and I like to print and analize the scores. Our matchs are prety tough with a lot of movers and such. We usually shoot seven stages/ 125 rounds.

I will end up about the middle of my classification but what kills me is I will be down 14 and the top guy is down 38 but he shot so much faster than I did.

I have not got where I trust myself to just get the front sight on the target, shoot and go to the next. I keep saying I am going to open up and go for speed and drop a few more points but I have a hard time doing that.

Same here, I was 25 points down in my last match; 1st most accurate in SSP/MM and 4th place out of 8 people in MM division (but 4th most accurate out of all divisions). I came 2nd most accurate in the entire SSP division and in 8th place out of 22 in the SSP division. I shoot for accuracy more since I don't like to miss. If I miss, I start to think about that stray bullet and what could have happened in real life. I'm slowly working on speed but I really need work. I've always thought the same thing but it looks like it's the clock that you need to beat. BTW, I shoot a G23 pistol.

The trick for me is to know when to fan targets and when to really use a proper sight picture. One also has to know their strengths and weaknesses. I am a great point shooter out to a certain distance. Once I start approaching that distance, I know I have to start using sights more or I will start missing.

For example, there was one stage at the match Saturday that I only had one aimed shot. That was a steel popper 10 yards away. All the rest were close enough to just point shoot. I took 2nd over all for that stage. Another stage had a swinger that I had to slow down on some to make sure I hit it properly. The last stage had six targets where you had to shoot twice in tactical sequence then revisit each target with a head shot. And, to make matters worse, the match director decided to liven up the stage by saying each missed head shot would also be a failure to neutralize (FTN). I slowed down some and made sure my shots hit. I still had one "miss" as I was an inch low on one target. I still took 5th for that stage. The over all winner also missed once on that stage.

As I said previously, the trick is to know when to go for speed and when to slow down so you make your shots. If you get the balance right, you'll do just fine.

I'm sure some of y'all saw it and it made more sense to you, since I don't (or haven't yet) shot in a match. On one of the Outdoor Channel Wednesday shows, they were talking strategy for IDPA shooters. But, they were comparing speed versus accuracy. Had two pro shooters do it, one for speed, one for accuracy, and the speed score won out. Interesting for me to watch....

I don't really buy the 'speed is king' mentality, particularly for shooters at my lowly level.

One way to think about it is that a miss will add 2.5 seconds to your time. Compare that to taking an extra second to aim and get a better sight picture.

-JT

Senior Moderator
    The key seems to be to shoot as fast as you can while hitting no worse than 1 down.

I've found myself shooting too fast, and had my scores improve through slowing down just a hair.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links