Good News For Florida LEO,s

This is a discussion on Good News For Florida LEO,s within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I posted this in another forum but I think this is a good article especially for Florida LEO,s Cops can now take guns with them ...

I posted this in another forum but I think this is a good article especially for Florida LEO,s

Cops can now take guns with them anywhere in U.S. -- -- OrlandoSentinel.com
    Officers in Florida are now allowed to carry them anywhere across the country.
    Florida cops and retired law-enforcement officers can now carry guns nationwide.

The final step took effect two months ago.

Until then, many states refused to let them travel armed to investigate crimes or when on vacation.

"Probably three years ago, we flew into New York City to talk to a guy in jail there," said Detective Mark Hussey of the Orange County Sheriff's Office homicide squad. "They had New York City detectives meet us at the airport and shadow us the whole time we were there because you're not supposed to carry concealed firearms in the state of New York."

Known as H.R. 218, the federal Law Enforcement Safety Act of 2004 covers Florida's 46,000 certified officers. The law set a national shooting standard for the first time so cops who passed would be accepted by all 50 states as knowing how to shoot.

While the law passed in 2004, it didn't take effect in the Sunshine State until July 2007. The reason: Florida didn't have a state shooting standard for cops until two years ago.

"Frankly, H.R. 218 brought the issue back up to the state Training and Standards Commission about whether there ought to be statewide standards," said Michael Ramage, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's general counsel. "They did impose them July 1 of 2006."

While some agencies began certifying their own retirees last year, FDLE formally established the process for every part of the state in March, records show.

So far, 64 retired Orange County deputies and about 20 retired Orlando police officers have been issued the national permits. Both agencies said they will only certify their own retirees, so retired cops who worked elsewhere must find a state-certified instructor to test them.

To get the H.R. 218 permit, police must score 80 percent or higher every year on a shooting test that other officers only need to pass once every two years to meet state standards. Retirees must meet the same standard. Different styles of shooting are tested, including a quick draw and firing two shots within 4 seconds.

The federal test sets police far above Florida's 500,000 Concealed Weapon Permit holders, who can travel armed to 32 states without proving they can hit a target. Those, including Texas, have reciprocity agreements that let their permit holders travel armed in Florida.

The head of Central Florida's largest police union supports the law. "Whether we want to admit it or not, there's domestic terrorism out there," said John Park, president of the Central Florida Police Benevolent Association, citing violent crime. "Better safe than sorry."

Park, an Orange County deputy representing more than 600 PBA members, said the law legalizes what had been a common practice for many law-enforcement officers to travel armed regardless of local laws.

"It is common sense and best for America if current and retired LEOs [law-enforcement officers] have the tool of their trade readily available to serve and protect themselves and others," he wrote in an e-mail. "H.R. 218 provides clear, uniform nationwide rules to replace the varying, confusing and uncertain local laws regarding LEOs right to carry their firearms, on or off duty."

While the state concealed-weapon permit is good for five years compared with the national permit's one year, FDLE's Ramage thinks the nearly unrestricted right to carry nationwide makes passing the yearly test worthwhile.

"If I were a qualified, retired law-enforcement officer, I'd probably want to qualify under H.R. 218, so I'd basically have one-size-fits-all for all 50 states," said Ramage, who cautioned that an H.R. 218 permit does not give officers or retirees any legal powers when they travel out of state.
    NRA Member

Not that this is news...but when can we little people exercise the same right in all 50 states?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

That article, common to a LOT of news, is really not very accurate.

Since the federal law passed in 2004 any Florida officer could carry in ANY state or U.S. possession(for that matter so could any sworn officer from any other U.S. LE agency as well). Retired officers could too, provided they possessed ID and a departmental qualification card and met certain qualifying stadards. Even now retirees do NOT have to carry an FDLE card and may by federal law carry a departmental certification but per Florida law do (since the 2007 Fla. law )have to qualify on the same course as regulars that must be conducted by an FDLE certified instructor.

Regularly employed officers must qualify every TWO years by state mandate and retired officers every ONE year as mandated by LEOSA
    provisions.

Now, the problem for cops can be the details. Like the qualification thing. There is currently no place around here for them to qualify, unless the agency they retired from will spot them, and that doesn't happen all the time.

A friend is an instructor at the local academy and a retired cop, and with several other instructors, approached the head of the academy about using the range to do a qualification course specifically for the retired LEOs. There were told that the academy would not pay them for it. They then volunteered their time, to do it for free, so the retired guys could qualify. Again, they were told no, and no reason would be given.

I have no idea how the local old cops are going to meet the criteria.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

VG: They DON'T have to use a PD or academy facility, all they need is a PST certified instructor to give the course. They can use any facility that'l support that specific course............

And by the way, that COF is a sorry excuse for realistic qualification. I truly believe that once oriented to the target postion one could pass the thing blindfolded..........and I am NOT exaggerating.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Not that this is news...but when can we little people exercise the same right in all 50 states?

When we get a law on the books that treats CCW Permits like Driver's Licenses.

In short, Nationwide concealed carry won't be coming to a place near you until a Federal Law is passed saying in effect, "Each and every state must recognise and honor all other state's concealed weapons permits." I wouldn't look for this anytime soon.

The NRA tried to support this idea, and even certain factions of the "Gun Lobby" were against it on Constitutional and "State's Rights" grounds.

I can understand some hesitancy on this from the states though, as "the Government can mess up a one car funeral procession on a one way street."

Biker

Links