Defensive Carry banner

Good ranges in North Texas

859 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Paco 
#1 ·
I have searched the forums and not been able to find anything and was wondering if some of my N. TX brothers can tell me of a few good places to shoot?

I typically go to the Bass Pro in Grapevine during lunch, when I am on that side of town. I would prefer a place that doesn't require you to be a member.

I could search superpages.com but would prefer referrals than me just showing up.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 ·
There aren't any. I've had the same dilemma, and I'm only a few miles from you. I like Quail Creek(Take Main St west until it ends.) but other's have had bad luck with some of the range officers. They can be kind of rude to people with safety issues, but that doesn't bother me. It's also pay for the whole day, which works out well for me, because I've been known to go in the morning, shoot, go home and reload some different rounds and go back to try 'em out. It's also one fee, regardless of how much you shoot, or how many guns you bring, so I like that. Unfortunately, no double taps, no rapid fire, no holsters, and no FMJ on the rifle range.

I haven't been to Bass Pro, so I don't know about it. I hate DFW Gun range because, well, It's expensive, I don't like indoor ranges, and with a black backstop, it's hard to see, plus they make you use their targets. Also, no rapid fire, no double taps, no holsters, etc...

I've heard Bullet Trap is nice, but I haven't made it over there yet. That's probably the next one I am going to try. It's just Plano is a pretty good drive, and with gas prices, I don't like having to go that far.

Denton County Sports has a 'semi-private' range that is also very close to the McKinney area, but you have to take classes with them, and you have to buy a membership where you are paying by the hour or half-hour. Not exactly ideal if you plan on shooting a lot, or want to shoot more than a 1 hour session.

As far as the best range I've been to in this area, it was Reborn's.

I'll be watching this thread pretty closely to see what recommendations you get. Hopefully, I've just missed a great range, but as far as my experience...There just aren't any.

As far as other advice, TX CHL forum has an entire sub-forum on shooting ranges in Texas, so you might want to check it out. TexasCHLforum.com • View forum - Shooting Ranges

#4 ·
The issue with Bass Pro is there are 7 or 8 lanes, not too bad, but you better go during the week around 2 PM for a lunch shoot otherwise it will get busy. They have been nice every time I have gone. $8/hr isn't too bad and they carry the white box Winchester .40 S&W for a reasonable price. Only problem is I never seem to be able to go, shoot, leave; I always find something to buy and their merch prices aren't all that great.

I have seen the list on the TX CHL forum but I dropped that forum when I found this one as there seemed to be more information going around. I have also been meaning to go to Bullet Trap since I am working in Plano more than Coppell, much better drive from McKinney too :danceban:

I have thought about going to the Adrenaline Proving Grounds in Greenville one day, but that will have to be an all day thing. I hear they have great tactical training courses.

#5 ·
OK, it's getting a little warm for outside shooting but here's a good one. I copied this from a previous post I made on another forum.

There's a range in Tom Bean, TX. It's basically a guy's back yard with a big berm as a backstop. You pay $3 per person on the honor system. I've been out there a bunch, only seen the guy once. He was cleaning a tractor & just looked up & nodded. You do not need to police up your brass. Bring your own targets & stands though. There's not always a stand there. I always bring targets, stand, heavy duty stapler. There's a bench to lay your stuff down. You can do whatever you want there. I frequently draw & fire from a holster, etc. As a side note, some people get freaked out that there is a 7-11 down the road, about 300 yards away. I've seen cops drive by the range & they don't even blink an eye, or even look over for that matter. It is not in the line of fire.

From Dallas:

1. Head North on US 75 until you reach exit 53 in Howe, TX
2. Take exit 53 and stay on service road until you reach
Spur 381.
3. Turn right on Spur 381.
4. Turn left on SH 5.
5. Turn right on FM 902. Stay on FM 902 out of Howe.
6. Continue on FM 902 until you reach the range at FM 902 and Joe Bob Rd in Tom Bean.

There will be a large cell tower. On the left side before getting to Joe Bob road, you will (sometimes) see a jacked up school bus, park behind it, in front of the large outside storage building. Walk straight ahead between the two buildings, the money envelope will be in the left, the range straight ahead. The directions make it seem hard to find, it's not. It's just out in the country. I did a mapquest before I went out there the first time, making Howe the center, that's where all the turns are.

Let me know if you have any questions. I've heard that he is thinking of closing it, so please be respectful & LEAVE MONEY. In fact, I usually leave more than is required. I'd hate to lose this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.