Gun Store Idiots

This is a discussion on Gun Store Idiots within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I tell you fellas do we ever get enough of those gun store idiots. I mean the guys who either think they are super macho ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Store Idiots

Gun Store Idiots

I tell you fellas do we ever get enough of those gun store idiots. I mean the guys who either think they are super macho or have as much safe gun handling skills as "Elmer Fud". I went to the range this past Saturday with a couple of guys from work and the guy asked me if shot there before, I said yes all of the time. Well I scanned through the rules and signed my name. The guy said did you read all of it, I said sure. Well apparently they had line in there that read sign this here once you read it. The guy was really smart and pretty stupid, so I rescanned it. Next, my buddy took in a pistol that did not have a slide lock, so I stuck a pin cap in to let the handler know it was empty and to assist him. The guy screams out hey look an new invention. I tell you these guys are idiots what do you guys think.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

2. Remove Ads

Well ya get both some of the other shooter are idoits and some of the workers i just keep to my self

Assistant Administrator
    Sad if not worrying thing is - there are seemingly plenty of folks around who purport to be ''experienced'' and ''knowledgeable'' and in fact are full of ****!

That gets more concerning when they are either trying to ''teach'' <cringe> or offer ''advice'' <cringe> in a gun shop. I dread to think how many people have been started off quite the wrong way and been ill advised too over maybe their very first purchase.

My local guy has never been deeply into handguns and has a few times asked me for an opinion or when there in shop - to help him demo something. I like that because he is not too proud to be able to admit he does not in fact know it all. Neither do I for that matter and never will, tho I try to keep learning.!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Actually I just had a pleasant conversation with an ex cop whose part time gig is at a gun counter. He showed me his best deal on a Mossberg 500 Persuader and we talked about what would be a good brush gun for my upcoming trip to the Ozarks, and he showed me the subcompact XD9 and validated my thoughts on it.

But you're right. The last salesperson I dealt with thought a revolver was some kind of rifle. I asked for the manager.

My actual worst covo was with a Cop swat cop to .. All i can say was i told the manger i wouldnt be back till he was gona and i bought all but 2 guns there last year havent been in since march this year becuse hes still there

VIP Member
    There's a nice shop in Franklin, TN, but the gun handling there scares me and I won't go back. They regularly place their fingers on the triggers and show you how nice the trigger pull is without a chamber check, while pointing the muzzle in an unsafe direction, including at you.

Then there's assorted morons at gun shops and gun shows who snub you because of gender or if you look like you don't have money to spend, and I'm speaking from personal experience and remembering an incident from a friend who "looks scruffy and poor," but always pays in cash. I've gotten prickly looks from one gun store like I "meant to walk into the nail salon next door." They didn't want to help me. They went out of business shortly after that. If you don't have the right attitude to work retail, scrub toilets.

I've had one guy shake his head disgustedly at me and say that my Para C6.45 was going to get me killed because of the magazine drop safety. It doesn't have one!

And then there's snobs who think that what they have is better than what you have. Then there's the guy who thought my USPc was a Glock, and the other guy who thought that because I have a USPc, I must be an anti-Glock snob.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Then there's assorted morons at gun shops and gun shows who snub you because of gender
    This is exactly why my aunt asked me to procure her pistol for her. She was terrified of the people at the local gun stores. She'd been to one and she knew she wanted a semiautomatic pistol and definitely not a revolver. They refused to let her look at one and kept trying to push her into snubnose revolvers that were not in her price range.

Plus they talked in gun gibberish and flouted a lot of war stories and talked down to her. She left feeling like maybe she'd made a mistake even considering a purchase.

I've got an AR15 that I have set up to shoot 6MM. Mounted a scope and had it bore sighted at a local range prior to zeroing it. Idiot behind the counter tried to tell me I should just shoot 223 through it instead of reloading my own stuff with 6MM rounds.
    Immediately asked for the manager because I wasn't going to deal with this idiot any more.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

What part of 6mm did he not understand?

He said that since the rounds are in the same brass, I should just shoot the smaller stuff. (They had a special on some Isreali ammo and he was trying to sell some)
    I get chills thinking of the smaller round chewing up the rifling on my custom done barrel

Goyya wonder what other screw-up advice he is regurgitating to those who believe him.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

VIP Member
    I used to work in a range/gun store in NJ a few years back...the store personnel were all knowledgeable....the clients....well, all of them were not. I was authorized by the owner to carry my BHP Mark II and did so open carry in a Galco holster.....I lost count after a couple of months of people: 1) questioning my intelligence of carrying a gun with the hammer cocked back and 2) warning me that my hammer was cocked which will get my rear end shot off (my standard responses to that one were "don't worry about my rear end?" and "why are you looking at my rear end?").
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Administrator

BlueLion

"I tell you these guys are idiots...what do you guys think?"

I think you're right.
    I've met more than a few in my lifetime.
    The Macho goofballs bother me the most because they sometimes are blatantly unaware of and totally uncaring about safe gun handling practices....around other innocent people.
    That bothers me a lot.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I could tell you guys tales from the local gunshop also. We have some of the same idiots down here. We have another shop opening in a couple of weeks and then there will be some stiff competition. That might humble them a little. Try this ::: When I walk into a gunshop that has someone working there that looks, and talks, as if they worked at a shoe shop yesterday,when they smile that extremely stupid smile and ask,"hey man,like whatcha need?".I simply say,"yeah,do you carry speed loaders for a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .357 mag. This will very quickly weed out the people that you should be talking to and the people that you should not.The employee's that come back with"weeelllll(?) I think that we do,let me go check",I usually don't want to talk to them when they come back from their extensive inventory scan.----------

OD*
    I get a kick out of the 300lb Ninjas.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

A buddy of mine was at one of the larger gun shops in my area. He was there to buy a Keltec P3AT for his wife. The guy behind the counter was giving him crap about that not being a suitable gun and that he should buy her a 'real' gun (pointing to the cocked and locked Kimber eclipse on his side). Buddy says she is a small woman and can't carry something that big - please let me see the Keltec. At which point the guy says - these things are easier to carry than you think - draws the gun, spins it on his finger cowboy style (remember C&L), sweeping himself, my buddy, and half the people in the room and reholsters. Will never go there again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links