Ruger P85 MKII

This is a discussion on Ruger P85 MKII within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anybody have a P85 and have problems with the Winchester value 100 round boxes? I bought a brand new nickel 17 rd MecGar magazine ...

Thread: Ruger P85 MKII

Ruger P85 MKII

Does anybody have a P85 and have problems with the Winchester value 100 round boxes? I bought a brand new nickel 17 rd MecGar magazine and still had one stovepipe on my first round.

Can anybody recommend any brand of 9mm ammo that works great with this gun? Or any Ruger P85 -- or this gun just prone to jamming...
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

2. Remove Ads

I've had a first gen P85 for about 20 years now, and it's always digested everything I've fed it. The list includes:

- UMC
    - American Eagle
    - WWB
    - Federal HydraShok
    - Glaser Safety Slugs
    - Reloads
    - Cheap range ammo
    - Etc., etc.

I'm using the stock magazines, and just last month replaced the springs in the mags and the recoil spring. In probably 5,000 rounds through the gun, I've never had a misfire, FTF or FTE.

I'm not familiar with the mag you referenced, but could it be that the mag spring is not stiff enough? Have you ever had an issue with the Ruger mags?

If you bought the gun used (or if you've put a lot of rounds through it), you may need to replace the recoil spring. Wolff makes a package with the recoil spring and the firing pin spring, and the kit is only $8.00 or so.

If it were me, I'd start with replacing the mag springs and recoil springs, then head back to the range. I seriously doubt that the WWB ammo is causing any trouble.

Do you have other mags for the pistol? Being brand new, I imagine the mag is okay-then I'd look into a new recoil spring. Springs in auto pistols do require replacement over time and amount of operations. I've never known the Ruger P series to be problematic. My former P89DC never failed me.

I have a P85.......it's about 15 years old and has never had any'real' problems other than the occasional light primer strikes, and that was attributed to magizine issues. I almost exclusivly shoot WWB and/or any other discount "range" practice ammo through it......with no issues. It's been a great training gun and 'house' gun when used in that capasity. I have put many brands (FMJ's JHP's.....pick a maker, it's been through it) of ammo through it over the years with no issue. I'd look at that magazine first.....go with stock mags if possiable. Otherwise that's a good gun with no reputation for being problematic. Mine has always gone "BANG" when I wanted it to.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Administrator
    I would place the blame on the WWB long before the mag or the gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Does anybody have a P85 and have problems with the Winchester value 100 round boxes? I bought a brand new nickel 17 rd MecGar magazine and still had one stovepipe on my first round.
    I would suspect the magazine before I worried about anything else.
    Just because it is new doesn't mean that it will be perfect. Before you decide that the ammo is suspect, try a different magazine. If you still have problems with feeding,then try a different brand, with a different style of bullet.

Guns are like woman,there are no two guns alike. You may have a pair of guns exactly alike, and for some reason only known to God, one will prefer a different type of ammo than the other one. Its the same thing with magazines. You may have two identical, and one feeds well and the other may not.

Also, some of the higher capacity magazines may have problems when loaded up to full capacity. Occasionally, loading one less than the maximum will help.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'd change ammo first and than go to the stock Ruger 15 round mag.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Thanks for the replies

The actual reason I got the new mag was because my old stock one's were stovepiping occasionally (or maybe it's the springs). I did buy the gun used, so have no idea if the springs are shot or not -- I'll try replacing those.

The loading one less makes sense since the MecGar only jammed on the very first shot....
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Links