Good Deal on This Rifle?

Good Deal on This Rifle?

This is a discussion on Good Deal on This Rifle? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here are the details that were given to me... Need to sell this Remington Model 700 Tactical in 308 and carbon cast barrel. Very light ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Deal on This Rifle?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Good Deal on This Rifle?

Here are the details that were given to me...

Need to sell this Remington Model 700 Tactical in 308 and carbon cast barrel. Very light for the size and Barrel cools very quickly. Has less than 50 rounds down the barrel and a harris Bipod attached. 24" barrel. Leupold Vari-XIII 3X9X40mm with Leupold rings and mount. Shoots very well. With the carbon barrel the Gun by it self retails for 1,000.

1,000 for the whole thing with case and cleaning kit.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Sounds like a so so deal to me.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I have about $1600 in almost the same rig.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Maybe you can guys can help me check my understanding here (I guess I can hijack my own thread).

I am looking for a rifle to use for primarily deer hunting but would like to do some recreational shooting as well. I like bolt action rifles but am not married to them (i.e. I am not going to be upset if I get semi-automatic, I don't know enough to care that much). I like the .308 cartridge but I am not married to it.

Here's what I think I know. You guys tell me where I am right/wrong.

a) A "tactical" rifle is similar to a deer hunting rifle but it may not have the pretty scripting and nice walnut stock. A tactical rifle is designed for precision accuracy over long distances and is usually built with an emphasis on toughness & reliability, not necessarily asthetics.

b) A "tactical" rifle can do all the things a deer hunting rifle can do... and more.

c) A bolt action is preferred in many instances for the same reason a pump shotgun is preferred in many instances: they just work. The bolt action has been around for decades and unlike a semi-automatic, it does not fail as often and has been proven to be more reliable. Unless you need quick follow-up shots, a bolt action rifle is the route to travel.

How did I do? Is my understanding accurate?

Thanks fellas.

I prefer bolt actions for my precision rifles. That's not to say a semi-automatic rifle couldn't be a precision rifle. I reload for my bolt actions with better than factory accuracy. My precision/tactical rifles could double for hunting rifles given the right scenario, and not carrying them far into and out of the woods as my precision models are heavy barrels with wood or modified stocks/bedding.
    If you want the combo you're looking for, I'd go with a shorter barrel in medium or heavy profile maybe down around 20" in the .308. While you seem to be rather excited about your find and price, I would think you could do better with a bit of research and save two-four hundred dollars going with a base model and finding a quality used scope at your local gun shop and having it gunsmith accurized and bedded. You'll have to realize that when we start talking into the four digits on price for a tactical/hunting or all purpose rifle, it's really not my game. Granted-good money can buy excellent quality, but for me, it's a DIY thing, or when means will allow. Precision reloading is how I balance some of the cost and make an otherwise ordinary rifle into what I expect out of one. Bolt actions on average are more accurate right out of the box---you just have to understand how factory ammo is made to generically do well in any rifle of the particular caliber. Anyone can improve upon this with a little time and effort.

Going to ask a question from extreme ignorance.

Does this rifle ratchet up the felt recoil over a more conventional .308 bolt gun?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Does this rifle ratchet up the felt recoil over a more conventional .308 bolt gun?
    No, it actually does the opposite. It has the BOSS technology which is, basically, a muzzle brake (someone correct me if I am wrong) which affects the way the gases escape the barrel of the gun. The net result is that the BOSS system can potentially (with proper tuning) make a rifle more accurate and can reduce recoil.

The biggest downside is that the BOSS-enabled rifles are reputed to be tremendously loud.

Administrator
    If you want a deer rifle, I wouldnt buy this set up... its just huge, and even though its light for its size, I'd bet its still heavier than its sporting counterpart.
    It is a lot of rifle for deer hunting and "recreational" shooting, but it will do both... its just not what it was meant for.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The biggest downside is that the BOSS-enabled rifles are reputed to be tremendously loud.
    And make signature when talking tactical scenarios.

The net result is that the BOSS system can potentially (with proper tuning) make a rifle more accurate and can reduce recoil.
    Would that be at the expense of reduced range and FPS or downrange energy?

Administrator
    -Ugh... I just noticed ya'll are talking about the BOSS- yuck. I wouldnt have one on a hunting or "tactical" rifle.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    -Ugh... I just noticed ya'll are talking about the BOSS- yuck. I wouldnt have one on a hunting or "tactical" rifle.
    Oh man I hate those boss systems too. If it has one of those, don't get it unless you don't value your hearing, vision, teeth, etc.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Sorry, my mistake. This is not the BOSS-enabled Browning I was thinking of. So to answer the previous poster's question: I don't know!

I had quasi-settled on a Browning A-Bolt Micro Hunter but then I started to question whether I wanted a "pretty" rifle that shot well or something more rugged & versatile.

Well here is the thing. If your looking for a precision rifle that is going to handle MOA accuracy out to maximum distances for a specific caliber, then you should start with a rifle from scratch and be prepared to shell out the dollars, time, and discipline to make that happen. There is an art to precision shooting and snipercraft that just doesn't come 100% naturally by picking up an "uber cool", latest tacticle rifle and pulling the trigger. It is a serious discipline that requires serious tools/weapons and an affinity for being anal about everything.

A good stock platform to do this with is a Remington 700 PSS.

If your looking for a deer rifle, then don't go with a heavier rifle. Stick with a good hunting rifle that will be durable and accurate "enough". One that your not going to be afraid of it getting beat up. If your looking for a little more accurate recreational shooting, but don't want to get particular, then pick up a varmint grade rifle.

My point is, buy the proper tool for the job. None of the snipers and serious shooters I know just take their precision rifles on a trip in the woods to shoot deer. For one thing, they are usually too heavy to want to go hiking with. Many of the rifles can weigh over 20 lbs. Also, they take their weapons very seriously since they have many dollars and countless hours invested in them. They only use their rifles for their intended purpose.

I hope that helps.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If you want a deer rifle, I wouldnt buy this set up... its just huge, and even though its light for its size, I'd bet its still heavier than its sporting counterpart.
    It is a lot of rifle for deer hunting and "recreational" shooting, but it will do both... its just not what it was meant for.
    The only real advantage to a tactical rifle is the bull barrel is supposed to stay cooler than a thinner one. They cost more and are MUCH heavier than a sporter. If you plan to hunt with this rifle DON'T buy it. A quality sporter will be just as accurate and weigh much less. The rifle in question is used and at a fantastic price, me thinks if it's too good to be true then IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE! How do you know for sure its only had 25 rounds through it? Carbon barrels are too new to be proven ( I think they are a gimmick). Lastly a used gun is always on the market because for some reason the owner didn't like it.

I just sighted in a friends Rem 700 ADL in 7mm mag last fall. It is Remingtons base model 700 rifle. He paid about $350 plus another hundred or so for a scope. Out of the box I shot a 1.3 inch group with it at 200 yards with factory ammo! WOW! That is money well spent! Only custom bench rest rifles are more accurate than that.

Buy your Browning and you will be happy. I promise!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links