S&B 9mm sux!!!

This is a discussion on S&B 9mm sux!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Heard of a few problems with S&B , but don't use it personally. Wolf on the other hand I shoot alot. More than 1000 rnds ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&B 9mm sux!!!

Lead Moderator
    Heard of a few problems with S&B , but don't use it personally. Wolf on the other hand I shoot alot. More than 1000 rnds thru my AR.

2. Remove Ads

Did it dry out chris no lube? cant wait to see what ya find

Assistant Administrator
    Actually Bud - lube is well evident.

After last clean I relubed with judicious amount of Militec1 grease. Yesterday morn because cold even wondered if grease had ''stiffened'' but today it was mild.

No - it is still odd - must get to strip and clean to see if anything obvious. May get done this eve but otherwise tomorrow sometime, tho a busy day ahead. I at least know it will perform fine with +P so hardly as if it is useless.

Need answers tho.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Dont think i would carry it till got problem fixed

VIP Member
    One of the rangemasters at the range I go to fired about 30 or so rounds of S&B through my P7 with no problems. In turn I fired 16 rounds of it through his 5" Springfield Armory XD 9mm also with no problems.

When I went to LFI I & II in 1996 all I fired was S&B through my BHP Mark II with, again, no problems.

Over on Glocktalk's 357 SIG club, S&B problems are nearly legendary in that caliber.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    I thought that Bud but as I said - it will go 100% with the carry GD's. True tho I need to find answers. It is probably a marginal thing with std pressure stuff - just not quite cycling far enough.

I may put the 220 in holster for a day or two - still be well happy with that
    Chris - P95

I would be worried if something is wrong if ya shoot it any more could damage it or it is working for now but ya have all ready had a problem .. Kind of like rolling the dice ..

I would carry the 220

Assistant Administrator
    OK - update!

Have field stripped 226 and cleaned it. Most obvious and so far inexplicable aspect is - the slide seems to be binding - particularly when dry of lube. It goes really quite tight over one part of travel. This logically could well explain ''downrating'' effect on marginal std pressure rounds.

Thus far no reason at all I can think of as to why this should be - close inspection and even marking with Sharpie to try and see where contact areas were - was inconclusive. I cleaned scrupulously and did a very judicious small amount of lapping - followed by intense re clean. Then relubed - this time used Tetra grease. Once reassembled slide action felt better but still - for me anyways - a degree of resistance thru main travel.

Darned if I can see any reason for this having occurred - no traumas imposed on slide or gun as a whole thus no possibility of slide distortion to make it ''go tight''. I feel better about it now it is cleaned and relubed and so +P will work even better. If time allows tomorrow tho a busy day - will try and slip by range to test some std rounds.

If problem persists and shooting snot out of it does not free things up - it'll have to go back. We'll see - I am puzzled tho.
    Chris - P95

No marks on slide rail with the Sharpie? What about Bind in the hammer cocking? where at in the Slide travel does it bind??

Assistant Administrator
    Hammer does not come in to this at all-. With hammer cocked and replacing slide to reassemble - once it gets towards the ''normal'' position it starts to produce resistance - then as it goes further to rear, as in cycling - it again has some bind.

Hard to tell really whether that bind is on rear part of frame rails or front - just does not show as conclusive. If I had placed slide in a vice and closed it down laterally - that is sort of feel I get. But as said - no traumas to gun at all so - mystery as to how this has happened.
    Chris - P95

Look at it closely Make sure one of the rear rails didnt crack donest need any external trauma .. look at the glock it cracked rear frame rails sure a production defect...

But somethign weird is going on when a normaly fine guns acts up

Sounds like a bit of a hot load might have gotten in there to make things expand a bit?? The Sig people, who come into the store (as they work about 15 miles away from us) tell us the P220s are really made of sheet metal and aluminum castings on the frames. The 226 has had some issues in the past, regarding frame to slide mating, as the two metals don't expand and contract in the same manner. I've shyed away from that S&B ammo, as my USP had a few problems (slide sticking, due to residue, and lotsa sparks like the Wolf stuff)
    My take on it is, maybe you had a few funky loads and didn't realize it, if you need to send it to Sig, they're REALLY GOOD about Coustomer Service.. I'd call them first, and see if they have an answer for you.

Assistant Administrator
    Close inspection shows no defects Bud that I can see - even up real close.

Bob, thx for dropping by. Hot load? I really don't think so - apart from carry +P's shot from time to time - all has been std pressure for IDPA etc. I think I'd have noticed any real stellar loads by feel.

I thought tho with my 226, being the ST - we have same materials and so not likely to see any dissimilar problems I'd think, between slide and frame.

I am still puzzled and wondering over the rationale. Hate to bother SIG, not to mention hating sending any gun away - hassles etc and being without.

I'll see for now what happens after this clean and lube when I get chance to run some test std pressure stuff thru - and take it from there.
    Chris - P95

The one point I'd clean is the feed ramp area around the locking block - if that's bad, it can slow down the cycling.

I won't feed S&B in anything any more, though - too much bad luck with it and it's never been as good to me as Wolf. Sacrilege, I know.

Before you stress it too much, go out with a couple boxes of something else. It may just not like S&B.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Close inspection shows no defects Bud that I can see - even up real close.

Bob, thx for dropping by. Hot load? I really don't think so - apart from carry +P's shot from time to time - all has been std pressure for IDPA etc. I think I'd have noticed any real stellar loads by feel.

I thought tho with my 226, being the ST - we have same materials and so not likely to see any dissimilar problems I'd think, between slide and frame.

I am still puzzled and wondering over the rationale. Hate to bother SIG, not to mention hating sending any gun away - hassles etc and being without.

I'll see for now what happens after this clean and lube when I get chance to run some test std pressure stuff thru - and take it from there.
    Such a good reason to call Sig, ask them to look at your gun, if you either send it, or bring it to them. Tour the factory, and drool on those cases in maine LOL ....I know they've has issues with the 220s in the past, as the frame is aluminum, with a sheet metal frame under the aluminum.
    BTW, I got that info from the inside people there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links