Browning Face-off

Browning Face-off

This is a discussion on Browning Face-off within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am pretty much sold on the Browning line of rifles. I had considered a Tikka or Remington but liked the way the Browning rifles ...

Thread: Browning Face-off

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Browning Face-off

I am pretty much sold on the Browning line of rifles. I had considered a Tikka or Remington but liked the way the Browning rifles felt. The three I am considering in .308 are:

1) A-Bolt Micro Hunter

2) X-Bolt Medallion

3) X-Bolt Hunter

I am going to use this rifle for deer hunting as well as some occasional recreational shooting. Any thoughts?

You'll definitely be happy with a Browning. The X-Bolt has a lot of cool features on it that you will be impressed with. I had a Stainless A-Bolt that was a tack driver. You'll really like the 60 degree bolt throw and the top tang safety. The only reason I got rid of mine is it was a pre-BOSS and they couldn't install a BOSS system on it. I just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. I have a Browning BAR with the BOSS and it is a really nice system.

Now for me, I would get the Medallion. There isn't anything like the Browning blueing. It's deep and highly polished...very nice! I also like the contrasting forend tip and pistol grip cap with the gloss stock as it really sets it off. The engraving is also a nice touch. IMHO, everytime you uncase the Medallion, you'll gonna go "WOW". I don't see that happening with a Hunter. It's too bad they don't offer a Hunter with a wood upgrade in the same price range of the Medallion. A nicely figured walnut stock on a Hunter would change my view on this.

Now the problem with a deeply blued gun is finding a scope that matches. I use Leupold scopes and anything over a 3.5-10x50mm is not offered in a gloss finish. This is the same with most scope manufacturers. Although this power is perfectly acceptable, sometimes it's nice having the extra "oomph" of a 4.5-14 powered scope. This is especially true if you're going to do any long range shooting. Although a matte scope doesn't look bad on a polished blued gun, it doesn't look as good as a gloss scope. Of course, I like my things to match and this may not bother you at all. I am kind of anal about that LOL!

Let us know what you decide and be sure to post pics!

VIP Member
    The only problem I have ever had with either a Browning or Remington is the finish on the wooden stocks. It is very protective and durable. However, if (or when if you do a bunch of hunting) you get it scratched/worn and you want to refinish it, well it is very durable. OIOW, it is a bear to strip.

Also, like many "production" weapons mine have pressed, not cut, checkering.

I know some folk have had problems finding mounts for A-Bolt Micros. Anyone know if that is still a problem?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Also, like many "production" weapons mine have pressed, not cut, checkering.
    I'm not familiar with the difference, could you explain?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I know some folk have had problems finding mounts for A-Bolt Micros. Anyone know if that is still a problem?
    Probably is. The Micro Hunter is a rare item to be honest with you. I live in Dallas/Ft. Worth, home of some of the biggest money spent in the world on hunting rifles & finding a Micro Hunter is nearly impossible. It's a special order at almost every Browning dealer in the Metroplex. The only reason I am considering one is because it is one of the only non-stainless, non-synthetic stock A-Bolt rifles that Browning makes in .308 chambering.

VIP Member
    X bolt is a brand new 2008 product. You probably will pay more for one, but I suspect it will be a great rifle like the A-bolt. They are just too new to know anything about them. Are you a lefty? Is that why you're having trouble finding one?
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

No ATCTimmy- I'm not a lefty but I have called almost every dealer listed on their website within 25 miles of my house, and that includes local shops, big box shops, etc. all in Dallas & Ft. Worth and no one stocks a Micro Hunter. It's strange.

They all say they can special order one, so if I am patient, I'm sure I could have it in a couple of weeks, but I'd like to handle one first so I can get a feel for it- whether I like it or not.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    They all say they can special order one, so if I am patient, I'm sure I could have it in a couple of weeks, but I'd like to handle one first so I can get a feel for it- whether I like it or not.
    Handle one in another caliber. I think the 7mm wsm is one HECK of a rifle round so as a fall back...
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Handle one in another caliber.
    That was my thought, too. I couldn't even find a Micro Hunter in another caliber.

I got to handle a regular A-Bolt & really liked the feel, so that kept me digging on the Brownings.

I did try to get the feel of the Tikka rifles. They were nice but didn't seem to fit me as well.

VIP Member
    I'm a lefty so I have to special order everything. If you have a Bass pro or Cabelas nearby it might be worth the drive just to handle one. The micro is thinner than the hunter but otherwise not too different. I'd order it. I love my A-bolt (hunter in 300wsm).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I'm not familiar with the difference, could you explain?
    I'm a real amateur here on gunsmithing, nearly always paying for anything but the simplest job. But here goes (some pro please jump in and help me).

True traditional checkering cuts wood away either by hand tool (for example see: Categories) or power tool (for example see: Categories or Turbo Carver High Speed Engraver) leaving sharp lines with distinct points, sharp ridges, or high places with crisp edges.

I understand that the even have laser tools now. And depending on how automated they are production guns may be using laser now, for all I know. (I try resisting looking at too many things to lust after that I never buy on my retirement income.)

Steam pressing is the reverse of steam repairs to dents. They use heat and steam to press a pattern into the wood, the points, ridges, and high places have rounded edges. It doesn't have a clean crisp look. It doesn't provide the grip. It mask grain detail. And many are just plain ugly, IMHO.

Another problem is that the solvents you use to strip damaged finish will also raise the compressed wood. This makes re-cutting (Can you re-cut something that was never cut in the first place?) necessary and a bigger job than touching up traditional cut checkering. This can be costly, and the couple times I have done it very, very stressful.

Just do a Web search on "pressed checkering" for more info.
    Last edited by DaveH; June 9th, 2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i really like the x-bolt medallion...very nice rifle...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Sponsored Links