Guns You regret Buying - Page 2

Guns You regret Buying

This is a discussion on Guns You regret Buying within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I sorta kinda regret my Mosin a little bit sometimes but not a whole lot. The only thing I don't like is having to order ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I sorta kinda regret my Mosin a little bit sometimes but not a whole lot. The only thing I don't like is having to order ammunition or get it from gun shows, but I don't regret it very much. It's not like it's very expensive and it does fill a niche for a more powerful centerfire rifle in my collection.

If there's ever a point where the huge supply of cheap Mosins dries up, I might sell it.

I think if I can ever get this reloading thing off the ground and start reloading the ammunition for it, I'll enjoy it more because I will be able to have ammunition at my convenience.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I have never bought a gun I regret buying

Administrator

Steyr M40 Parts

You might try sending off an E-mail directly to Steyr & see if they can send you out an extractor. E-mail them at:

office@steyr-mannlicher.com

Back in the mide early 90's I was traveling alot when I was dating my wife. It was just me and dad at home and things were rough. My brother was away in college and my mom and dad had just divorced and mom was in GA. Well, I had decided to leave school for the USAF, and while I waited to get in on the dreaded delayed entry program. I bought a (drum roll , please readers please don't shoot at or make fun of old lion on this one) Lorcin . 380 this was the first real handgun I had handled. Well once I got out of the service this pistol was made unserviceable and I kept the slide as a keep sake. I hate I bought that thing, but it was good first gun I ever shot. I bought the pistol because as dad and I both struggled it was times when we had no lights only candles and the house was huge it provided protection because dad worked late nights and when I got home from bagging groceries I was in a dark house most of the time. Thank you Uncle Sam for all you have done to help wayward young men and women as myself. Hoorah....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

VIP Member
    Interarms Walther PPK/S - stovepipes, roiugh checkering on grips murdered my hands, ejector cracked and locked the slide up tight.

Para Ordnance C6.45 LDA - numerous problems, the last being the guide rod assembly breaking and shooting out the front while shooting.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    CZ 52 pistol in 7.62X25 - not expensive, but the recoil is very snappy, the trigger is heavy & gritty, the sights are tiny, can't dry fire it, ammo is hard to get, and the hold open mechanism doesn't.

Norinco SKS - again, not expensive, but the trigger is worse than the CZ 52, I had to clean more grease off & out of it than goes into my car, and you don't get groups at 100 yards, you get shotgun patterns. At least the ammo is cheap. Thinking about mounting a red dot on it and relegating it to a home defense gun.

FFG .380 PPK wannabe. It heavy a very heavy trigger, is picky with what it eats, wont feed HP's. Plus the recoil is very sharp.

Hopefully SA does a good job with my G.I. 1911, or that will be added to the list.

AMT in 45ACP. Tiny little pocket pistol in a not so tiny caliber. Trigger pull was about 16lbs and couldn't be lightened. kicked like a darn mule because the pistol had no mass. Like shooting from a pair of pliers.

SIG 228 in 9mm. I'm a lefty and the ergos are completely wrong for me.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    You might try sending off an E-mail directly to Steyr & see if they can send you out an extractor. E-mail them at:

office@steyr-mannlicher.com
    This gun is on it's second extractor....I'm waiting for Steyr to get it's U.S. distributor/parts situation rectified and purchase A1-series extractors...they are supposed to fit the M & S series and are a marked improvement according to M40A1 owners over on Steyrclub.com.

The extractors are the perhaps the weakest link in that otherwise fine, first generation Steyr polymer pistol...my M357 also has a bad extractor.

Thanks for the suggestion QKS!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    In about 1997 I bought a NEF heavy bbl in .22-250. What a POS. It shot 3-4" at 100 yds.on a good day. I wanted a throw in the truck weapon for yotes on roads and clear cuts.I tried to get away cheep and it cost me.--- A Spanish FR-7. It was a rebbl.in .308 win. Another POS. And several others that were not important enough to me to even remember how bad they were. I have surely had my share of brain farts over the years.-----Oh,and some kind of el cheepo derringer.----

I've never had one that I regretted buying, although I've had several that I didn't keep for very long simply because I either saw a better deal or the opportunity to make a little money by selling them.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Sterling 22, jammed and almost threw it away.
    Browning BDA 380, as a Jam-a-matic gun
    Couldn't get rid of em fast enough

Hopefully I won't get flamed (or banned!) for this but my most disappointing purchase was a Beretta 92fs back in the mid '90's or so. Maybe the ergonomics just didn't agree with me, maybe I just believed all the gunrag hype but I couldn't get comfortable with it, couldn't shoot it worth a darn and after about 50 rounds downrange, when the guide rod's finish started flaking off, I started looking for a replacement ... that turned out to be my first 1911, a Colt MKIV series 80 Enhanced - what a sweetheart!

Also had a Jennings derringer in .22mag. I'd forgotten about that until someone else mentioned it - I think it's still laying in a drawer somewhere with a broken extractor. Hey, it was cheap and the rosewood grips were pretty.

All my other guns have had their good points, though after two .44mags I finally decided it's not the caliber for me (LOVE .357mag though!).
    Jack

VIP Member

I thought so...

It was a Steyr S-40 compact pistol purchased from CDNN about 2 years ago....right out of the box I had nothing but trouble with it. Shooting 50 rounds at the range, I could count on 4 or 5 double-fires (2 shots with 1 pull of the trigger ) and the trigger wouldn't reset without some serious "jiggling" at least 10 times.
    Sent it back to Steyr warranty service (which at the time turned out to be an Airgun repair place in Iowa) three times and it still did exactly the same thing. I was ready to give up on it, but decided to try a local Gunsmith here in Denver who had a pretty good reputation (Gunsmoke).

The gunsmith owned a full size Steyr M-40, and he told me he brought it in to the shop and dis-assembled both guns side by side and compared parts....he found that the trigger bar/sear was not properly bent on my gun (should have been a 90 degree square bend but wasn't), and made a correction to it...I have been using this pistol as my primary carry gun ever since as it has fired over 700 rounds without a singe malfunction and it fits really well in a Blade-Tech IWB holster.

Hopefully Steyr is getting thier act together...they had importer problems for a while, but seem to have straightened that problem out for now.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

An early S&W semi-auto 9mm compact model. I can't even remember the model number. Would not feed no matter what I did with it.
    A Charter Arms in 38 special that, brand new, wouldn't work. Action would lock up. A second one from the gunshop worked great, but I couldn't get past the nervous feeling that it would lock up, too.
    Oddly enough -- and in my particular case (don't want to be beat up for this) -- a pair of Glock 26s. My wife has problems with her hands and doesn't have a lot of grip strength. For example, she can't pull the slide back on a 1911. So, we got two of the little Glocks, thinking that we'd both carry the same firearm. The Glocks would not feed at all, since she couldn't grip them tight enough (at least that's what we think). So, for her, they just wouldn't work at all. Meanwhile, I never could get used to a Glock trigger.
    As a follow-up, an instructor showed her how to get the slide back on a 1911 by hooking the rear sight on something (not that we'd want to do that a lot, but she can at least operate that way in an emergency).. and she and I decided to carry what each of us like best, so she has a pair of S&W 640s and I have my little 1911 and a Kel-Tec.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links