How much is too much and when to taper off on practice ammo usage?

This is a discussion on How much is too much and when to taper off on practice ammo usage? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; (note) I know all of you pistol caliber reloaders are chomping at the bit to post on this one, but it's actually for those of ...

View Poll Results: How much will be too much for you to buy/shoot ammo and impact your shooting habits?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've already quit shooting and buying ammo

1 1.61%
  • 50% increase over current ammo prices

3 4.84%
  • 100% increase over current ammo prices

3 4.84%
  • I still buy ammo, but don't shoot as much as I used to

28 45.16%
  • I still buy ammo just to stockpile for the impending doom

13 20.97%
  • Current costs of ammo have already impacted my shooting habits significantly and I'm worried about that

27 43.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is too much and when to taper off on practice ammo usage?

(note) I know all of you pistol caliber reloaders are chomping at the bit to post on this one, but it's actually for those of us who buy our ammo----sorry.

Well, a friend and I went to the range this past week and he shot 200 rounds of 40 S&W, I shot 300 rounds of 40, and 400 rounds of 9mm. Then I did the GSSF match yesterday to the tune of 90 rounds 9mm. I've been sort of conservative on my 40 and 45 ammo, but continue shooting up the 9mm. WWB 100 round value pack are still $18.42 here, and I've sworn to buy at least one box a week. My question to everyone who buys ammo and shoots it for practice is------how much will be too much for you to buy a box of ammo, and how much would be too much to start impacting what and how much you do shoot at the range or competition? Figure our base is $20 per hundred on whatever we're shooting here. What would make you hold on to what you currently have and not buy or shoot any more practice? A 50% increase over the current best price? Double the current best price? Four times the current best price?
    If you work for an hourly wage such as I do and the ever increasing costs of everything-----what is it going to take to impact your shooting habits significantly above and beyond what it already has?
    Me? Looking at my pistol ammo usage this past week, I think I should taper off and still buy at least a box a week even with my current stockpile.

Well, I voted significantly impacted...but that led me to reloading, so I guess my vote shouldn't count.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Nice poll. I voted that I dont shoot as much as I used to and that Im worried about the impact of the price hikes.

The cheapest I can get a 100 round box of WWB is at the local Wally-World for 26.98 right now. I try to get (like you) a box a week when I can. I try to get a box of the 9mm's as well, but I don't shoot the 9mm as much.

If/when/as the price of practice ammo rises, I'll be purchasing less as such. I'll continue to purchase/hoard ammo, but as I can afford to do so. At $40 a box I'll begin looking closely at tapering off my habit a little bit and investigating other options. I'll be looking at reloading when I can afford to start buying the equipment.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I used to shoot a box or two of .45 every week and a box of 9mm every two weeks. That is now reversed due to expenses. I'm actively looking into reloading but space at home and time while attending school, working FT and a new baby (our first) makes reloading unlikely. I am actively stockpiling ammunition as well.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Simple answer is to start reloading, I won't stop shooting, that's for sure.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Dry fire and .22 LR. Basics are basics, as long as you don't fall into, "I have a 6" HB .22, I can hold it on target with 2 fingers," mentality.

As far as reloading, I'm keeping my little Lee Loaders, some primers, powder, bullets and brass. Enough to keep things up in a crisis, without too much equippage and expense.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I did not participate in the poll . I shoot just enough centerfire to preserve my confidence in my skills . Nowadays i seldom do any " range time " unless i am training a new shooter . My shooting now comes from opportunity as i go about my work day on the ranch . I figure if i can pot the jackrabbit that takes off from underfoot while i am fixing fence, or the rattlesnake i run across with my ccw gun then i am pretty much still " in the groove " as both require fast accurate fire from the leather , and at least in the rabbit case the puppys like a snack too . I usually have either a 17 smith or a ruger single six in the pickup which i will plink prarie dogs , crows , shiny rocks , ect with just to keep a hand in on sight alignment , trigger control , ect for longer range shooting than i typically do with my ccw . As far as loading goes i do build some rifle rounds on a single stage press , but have a buddy with 3 progressives so my pistol ( and for that matter .223 )brass goes to him and occasionally i will nab a few hundred rounds of .45 as payback , or get some as boot in a guntrade with him .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i still shoot as much as I used to...but I hope to shoot even more...time is more expensive than ammo for me.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I voted that I still buy ammo, but don't shoot as much as I used to. I am now trying to consolidate weapons that I carry to all 9mm as it is the cheapest right now. Also my wife still calls me a cheapskate but we won't go there.
    God bless our troops!

I will never stop.

But a 50% increase would slow me down or limit the number of rounds I fire in a session

I thought ammo was getting too high about 3 years ago hence I invested over 3000.00 in reloading equipment,If I had to buy ammo at todays prices I would only shoot probably once a month and a 100 rounds of 45 and 100 9mm,but still shoot about 1000 rounds of 22 month
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Habits impacted and am worried.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

I am looking into pellet pistols and rifles more seriously than i ever have.
    Last edited by strider72; June 9th, 2008 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Oops
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

I am looking into pellet pistols and rifles more seriously than i ever have.

You know---I've been researching alot here lately also, mainly pellet rifles. They can run as much as a new rifle. At least I do reload for my bolt actions and have plenty of components to last quite some time. Being a permit holder though I sort of take some responsibility to keep practicing as much as possible. Pellet pistols (which I've had several) just won't get you to that level. I'm wondering about virtual targets and virtual shooting practice sort of like the Beam-Shot concept being discussed in another thread, but not so involved in modifying the pistol as much, or a cheap virtual pistol, your television, and some software like a video game from the past for practice.

Gamo Whisper Air Rifles Pellet gun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links