.22 Semi Auto

This is a discussion on .22 Semi Auto within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Years ago i had a bull barrel Ruger i carried as a plinker.Great gun,shot any cheap ammo i could find. I shot thousands of rounds ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 Semi Auto

Years ago i had a bull barrel Ruger i carried as a plinker.Great gun,shot any cheap ammo i could find. I shot thousands of rounds thru it as im sure the guy i bought it from did also.I never ever cleaned it :22a

2. Remove Ads

I'll vote for the Beretta U22 NEOS. It's a great gun, easy to disassemble/clean, and a good shooter. Taught my wife to shoot with it and now I can't get her to leave my guns alone!

My son just got a Sig Mosquito for his birthday.

Neat little gun once you get the hang of it. Problem is it is recommended to use CCI Minimax. Tried others and jammed most of the time.

Read on the internet a trick. Spray the box of shells with a couple shots of Hornady One Shot and mix. Let dry. No problems since and can shoot any 22 LR with few problems.

I know it seems ghetto for a NEW SIG, but it is what it is and he loves it to learn basic marksmanship before moving up later.

Walther P22

I am singularly impressed with this gun. Be sure to get the new upgraded model with an "L" in the serial number and the "B" series magazines. I use CCI copper plated ammo and reliability is amazing for a .22, or anything else for that matter--zero jams. Accuracy is spot on and the trigger is sweet. I love the form factor and the way it carries in a front pocket. Some complain about having to use the included plastic dowel to put it back together after cleaning but it's really no big deal and I've found cleaning is not needed nearly as often as with center fire guns. Some well informed authorities go so far as to say a .22 using copper ammo never needs the bore scrubbed at all.
    I've owned most every .22 auto on the market over the years and this one is by far the finest!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zelenkajl View Post
    Some complain about having to use the included plastic dowel to put it back together after cleaning but it's really no big deal
    I've found a standard cleaning rod works perfectly for reassembly also. In a pinch, a relatively straight twig would work. Still bugs me though - JMO, guns shouldn't require tools.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'm happy with my Browning Buckmark, I paid $185 for it and it's a champ, pending on what model you get, they can be hard to take apart, mine is, but that's OK, I like the gun.

It may not be the prettiest thing, but it sure does shoot.
    ++++++++Great Gun++++++

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    you clean your .22???
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I have a Taurus PT22 that I am pretty fond of so far!
    Last edited by JD; June 30th, 2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Removed bold font
    Texas CHL Holder, Member NRA & TxCDL
    GLOCK 19 9mm & GLOCK 26 9mm - 3rd Gen Both
    RUGER LCP .380
    Taurus SS Judge .45/.410 & Taurus PT22 .22LR

VIP Member

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by zelenkajl View Post
    I am singularly impressed with this gun. Be sure to get the new upgraded model with an "L" in the serial number and the "B" series magazines.
    I have an earlier incarnation of this without the L in the serial number. It has always been a pain in that the magazines fall out while you are shooting and the bullets don't line up properly in the magazine.

I got a B series magazine and that reduced some of the problem, but not entirely. I went through 10 full magazines yesterday, and the mag. dropped one time; though it is possible I might have accidentally hit the release. The bullet alignment issue within the magazine doesn't seem to affect function- it just looks really funky.

The other downside, mine (and I gather this is general with the model) won't work well with ordinary ammo; the slide won't cycle.
    S&W told me to use Minimags, and these are O.K. Stingers work too, but are too expensive. Regular Remington .22 LR will often do, but I've had no luck whatsoever with other brands.

Cleaning is easy, but getting it back together --even with the little plastic gizmo-- is tough. If I did it regularly, it would become second nature, but since I rarely shoot this gun, and 6 months go by between
    cleaning time, I don't retain the little tricks in my poor old memory.

Except for all of those negatives, it really is a fun gun, with nice sights, good trigger.

The one thing that drives me nuts though is the upside down (and a bit inaccessible) safety.

For these reasons, I would give this gun only a very mild recommendation.

Maybe in the newer versions, with the newer magazines, it is a champ. Mine sure isn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links