Weapon for limp wrist & weak fingers?

This is a discussion on Weapon for limp wrist & weak fingers? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While shooting with my dear daughter, soon to leave for college, I observed that she almost could not fire a lightened-trigger SP-101 snubby or the ...

Thread: Weapon for limp wrist & weak fingers?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

While shooting with my dear daughter, soon to leave for college, I observed that she almost could not fire a lightened-trigger SP-101 snubby or the double-action first shot of the S&W 915 (9mm), and about half of the cases from the autoloader did not eject properly. (They eject fine for me, but my wrist is roughly the size of her leg.)

What would you folks diagnose? And what should be the proper treatment? I suspect a weak trigger finger and limp-wristing. For treatment I'm thinking a lot of SP-101 dry-firing for the finger, but I'm somewhat at a loss for what to do for the wrist. Any suggestions?

Given the symptoms described above, are there any sidearms you would encourage her to evaluate, or any you would recommend against? I am quite well-aware that she should pick her weapon, but those are the two we have handy for her to shoot. Based on her choice I plan on giving her one of them or buying something else for her within a month.

Further info, in case it is of interest: she will be taking the CCW courses and applying for an Idaho concealed carry license when she arrives in town... but as they are only rarely issued to folks under 21, weapon concealability concerns are probably a couple of years premature. She'll be living off-campus, and her roommate says she wants to learn to shoot, too - yay! We have also budgeted for a decent holster and a COM safe for when she's not there, of course.

2. Remove Ads

How about a tip-up barrel Beretta?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

How about a Kel-Tec P32
    NRA Member

I won't recommend a Gun, but most definately a Revolver is needed here, IMHO.

Have her try a bunch of guns and let her make the choice. The most "forgiving" type of gun in an Autoloader has been a Glock 17/19 IMHO, but most people find it large for CCW.

I like Revolvers for "limp-wristing" issues myself. I also like Revolvers because they are just plain "cool".

Biker

Sounds like she just lacks strength in her hands. You can get spring-loaded devices for strengthening your grip - just go easy at first to avoid hurting anything. To strengthen the wrist you can actually do work with light weights in normal wrist motions - up and down, side to side, turn right and left. All slowly to avoid injury, and start real light weight.

If she does it ever other day for a month (let the hands recover for a day in between) she should notice an improvement in her ability to open twist-off cans tops and other similar activities.

I have very lightly built wrists and hands - thinner than my girlfriend's. There's no reason that a light build has to be too weak to handle a gun - it's just muscles like all the other ones.

Administrator
    I would go with a J-frame Smith & Wesson fitted with recoil absorbing Pachmayr Decelerator Grips and I would have a local gunsmith fit the revolver with a lighter hammer spring and a lighter trigger rebound spring available from Brownell's.

A very inexpensive quick and easy modification.

Then I would buy her some low recoil short barrel personal defense ammo.

She will still get reliable ignition and the firearm will be much, much easier for her to operate and shoot accurately.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    There is no way I would buy another gun to accommodate weakness in the hands. Reason being that hand strength is the single most important asset in self defense.
    The limp wristing issue has very little to do with strength, and everything to do with technique.

So, she needs to strengthen up her grip and learn how to shoot an auto to cure those problems.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You might have her try squeezing a tennis ball daily to build strength in her hand, fingers and to improve gripping. Simple conditioning of the muscles will help along with practicing technique like Sixto said earlier.
    God bless our troops!

I'm with the crowd emphasizing the need for conditioning. My wife is very small, just over five feet tall, asian with extremely slender wrists. I myself have very slender wrists, when I lift at the gym people always think I'm going to snap something. Technique learned through proper conditioning was the way to go for both of us (my wife and I). My wife shoots both my XD45 and my CW9 just fine, yet can't open a pickle jar to save her life.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Possibly try to get her to do some type of wrist strengthening.

possibly something like this: Wrist Exercises and Wrist Injury
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws would have guns.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The limp wristing issue has very little to do with strength, and everything to do with technique.

So, she needs to strengthen up her grip and learn how to shoot an auto to cure those problems.
    Exactly! My wife began shooting her freshman year of college and she is 5'0" and 102lbs... You do not get wrists much smaller than hers. She loves to shoot any 9mm and she doesn't shy away from my .45s...

We have never had a limp wristing problem.

I would suggest a revolver of some sort with snap caps. Then she can sit and fire it over and over again (a little each day) while watching tv or something. Not only will she build up her trigger finger but will smooth out the action on the revolver. Remember to practice proper technique when doing this and not get sloppy pulling the trigger. This will help a little, but I don't know if it will solve the problem completely until she just starts shooting more as well.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    You might have her try squeezing a tennis ball daily to build strength in her hand, fingers and to improve gripping. Simple conditioning of the muscles will help along with practicing technique like Sixto said earlier.

Lol there's also ................ on a regular basis
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

3" 1911.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Sling shot or mace (ball and chain)?

Links