Got some SA Revolver Questions

This is a discussion on Got some SA Revolver Questions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok so I find the Texan in me is coming to the surface. I have always been interested in military style weapons and that was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got some SA Revolver Questions

Got some SA Revolver Questions

Ok so I find the Texan in me is coming to the surface. I have always been interested in military style weapons and that was what I have primarily purchased. But now I find myself really wanting at least 1 to 2 good SA Revolvers. My dad has a 6 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk. I like it, but I like the look of the fixed sight/vaquero style revo's.

I have been looking pretty hard at the Uberti line. I know they are owned by Benelli so I feel pretty safe that they are good guns. Plus I handled an Uberti No. 3 Top Break and it felt awesome.

I have really fallen in love with their 4" 1873 Cattleman Birds Head. I love everything about this revovler. The grip looks awesome. The case hardened/blue finish look beautiful. And having the barrel equal length as the ejector rod looks sweet.

If these are in fact quality guns (equal to Ruger) then this one will be my 1st. Later I want to get a longer barrel (between 5 1/2 and 7").

My uses for this gun will be:
    1. Camping/hiking gun
    2. Nostalgic fun at range and ownership.
    3. Possible western action shooting (slight possibility)

So here are my questions.
    1. Is Uberti quality?
    2. Is the birds head grip a comfortable grip?
    3. Which caliber? 357 Mag or 45 Colt? I'm thinking 45 Colt for the nostagic reasons and for defense against animals when camping.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

2. Remove Ads

Uberti is good quality, from what I've seen. Your most versatile caliber is the .357, since you can shoot .38 specials in quite a wide variety of loadings, and the ammo is cheaper.

That said, I really like the .45 Colt. The big hole, the big boom. You can get some pretty good deals on ammo if you look around. Some of the "cowboy" loads are cheaper and easier to shoot, since they're powered down.

I took my son-in-law shooting a while back and let him start out shooting some cowboy loads in my Vaquero. Then I loaded up some hot self-defense rounds for him. It's quite an impressive difference.

As far as the weapons configuration, the bird's head grip is quite comfortable to shoot, with the additional benefit that there are no sharp edges on it, so it's comfortable to carry, in a variety of rigs.

The 4" barrel is also a good choice in a holster gun. Any longer than 5-1/2" starts to get bulky.

And you know, a short barrel, single-action, revolver with bird's head grip is just, well, cool. Here's mine: Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt, 3-3/4" barrel.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

My uses for this gun will be:
    1. Camping/hiking gun
    2. Nostalgic fun at range and ownership.
    3. Possible western action shooting (slight possibility)

So here are my questions.
    1. Is Uberti quality?
    2. Is the birds head grip a comfortable grip?
    3. Which caliber? 357 Mag or 45 Colt? I'm thinking 45 Colt for the nostagic reasons and for defense against animals when camping
    1) Yes, but I prefer the Ruger New Vaquero for Cowboy Action Shooting
    2) I prefer the "traditional" grip, as it seems to "roll" less in my hand and I like tucking my pinkie finger under the stock.
    3) I'd go with .357 Magnum, since you can't use the New Vaquero or the Uberti with the "hot" 45 Colt rounds, the CorBon and Buffalo Bore Hunting Loads.

Biker

rodc13 I think the 3 3/4" Birds head is the best looking, but I would like the extra sight radius of the 4" gun.

So I'd be able to use the full house loads in 357 mag int he Uberti/Ruger New Vaquero?

If I went w/ the 45lc I'd be better served getting a beefier gun like the Ruger Super Blakchawk so I can get the full potential out of the round?

I shoot cowboy action with the .45 colt Uberti in 5" and a ruger in 7". If it was practical I would carry the Uberti all the time. I like mine alot. If you want to spend the money send the Uberti to Bob at Walker 47 in California. He does a real nice job.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Although I don't own one, if Iwere doing cowboy shooting it would for sure be a Ruger New Vaquero, I don't see how you could go wrong.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I know I really like the balance of the Colt Single Action Army in .45 Colt with the 4 5/8-inch barrel and standard grip frame. The .357 guns feel front heavy to me due to the weight of the barrel with that smaller bore. I've tried some of the newer single actions with birds head grip frames. They felt great. I liked them fine and think they look cool. I even like the .45 Colt in factory equivalent guise. No need to hot rod it with heavy hand loads. A fat 250-255 grain bullet at 850-900 fps bespeaks authority and will mash most anything that requires shooting.

I've posted it here before but here's my old ratty Colt SAA .38-40 from 1905. Not much on appearance, it's a fine shooter. Still a bit ill-balanced compared to the same model in .45 Colt in my view. A .40 bore still has enough additional "meat" in the barrel to be heavy in the front.

Go with a Ruger much better than the Imports!!!!
    SASS LIFE
    LEAA
    BOLD#252
    NRA LIFE
    RO I & II

I think I may have been understood about the guns intended purpose. The Cowboy action shooting is the least likely to occur and is just something I'm toying with. I am newly married and funds are tight. Unfortunately, being a rookie officer on a night shift and also beng a full time student don't give me much time to go shooting.

Sucks because I used to shoot nearly every day for a good couple of months.

Anyways. Camping, hiking, range fun and maybe some hog hunting are the majority of this weapons use.

I am now looking into getting a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk in 44 mag with a 4 5/8" barrel in Blued finish. I likely send it to Bowen Six Guns for some action tuning and maybe a few other fun stuff when I can save the money.

My dad already has an older Black hawk and has all the reloading stuff for 44 mag. So getting and reloading ammo will be easy. He doesn't reload much and he might give me the press if I am gonna start reloading. Especially if its for the same caliber he uses.

The Ruger .45 blackhawk can be handloaded to equal or a just a tad more power than the .44 Super Blackhawk, with less pressure and less blast. And it weighs about 5 ounces less, which makes a difference on the hip. Also, you can get a convertible .45 with a cylinder for .45 auto. Versatile.

Single actions are the smallest, lightest, most reliable option for the big power handguns. Ruger is king when it comes to rugged and reliable. You can't make an Uberti shoot 300 grain slugs as 1200 feet per second, but the Ruger will do it all day, forever.

A blued convertible 45 blackhawk from Ruger with a 4 and 5/8th barrel is a long term keeper gun. Classic. It's light enough, small enough, and strong enough. And will take anything that walks in the lower 48.

Old model Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt. Try reloading your own black powder cartridges. Unbelievable sound, smoke, and power.
    Attached Images
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    I am now looking into getting a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk in 44 mag with a 4 5/8" barrel in Blued finish. I likely send it to Bowen Six Guns for some action tuning and maybe a few other fun stuff when I can save the money.
    Scout, I'm a practical soul at heart, and that is the only SA revo I have considered. For camping defense, survival hunting, or stopping a Ram 350, the Super BH in .44 mag will do it. .45 Colt et al are fun, but I would view that as a waste of none too adequate funds for something of limited practicality and versatility in the coming years. .44 mag will be around in crates for quite awhile, and in private hands for generations. Powder and obscure cartridge components can disappear literally overnight.

Senior Moderator
    Get a Super BalckHawk in .454, you can down load to .45 Colt or upload and protect yourself from bears
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Scout,
    If funds are tight, the Ruger New Model Vaquero in 357 is your best choice. The Uberti guns can be turned into fine guns, but out of the box performance is a crap-shoot at best. As a CAS shooter, I have personal experience with 5 Uberti pistols and they all required gunsmith attention to make them perform reliably. The new model Ruger Vaquero feels much closer to the original Colts than the old model Vaquero did. It is thinner and lighter than the old model thus no 44 mag version. If you don't reload and funds are tight, I would not consider the 45 Colt as a viable option as ammunition is very expensive compared to 38/357.

If funds weren't a consideration, I'd say look at the U.S. Firearms lineup. I currently have 2 of their Pre-War models and 1 of their Henry Nettleton models. These are fantastic firearms but the price reflects that quality. The Ruger is a solid, reliable firearm that should provide years of service with virtually no problems.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links