An observation

This is a discussion on An observation within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just wasted a c ouple of hours at the " local gun dealer " . Now understand this is not a fella i do ...

Thread: An observation

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

An observation

I just wasted a c ouple of hours at the " local gun dealer " . Now understand this is not a fella i do a lot of business with , in fact i drive about 45 miles for an online xfer. However this dealer likes high end guns , i bought both my first HK 93 and HK 91 off him as he stocked same . He is real low on stock , only having a half dozen ar format rifles , and many of his bolt rifles and shotguns were there on consignment . I asked the price of a century FAL and was told with a straight face that it was 1100 , on consignment , and he had sold 3 in the last week . He has 5 FN 5.7 pistols priced at roughly a grand a piece nowadays . and he has about 30 Beretta 96 . 40 pistols that are all US police trades , and range from stupid cheap to stupid spendy ( i like neither beretta nor .40 lol ).

Point of the post tho is that he is a fairly common local dealer , and thro visiting today with him one point came out , No one seems to be trading off guns . Folks may buy at stupid costs , but no one even offers trades anymore . He is selling guns at his prices which imho are high , however he is not getting the standard restock of trades . For the record i have traded guns a lot of years and i see the same thing , no one wants to part with a " trader " they would rather buy if they can , or trade a non gun item i might be intrested in .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

Well, the gun dealers I have talked to about this claim it's happening because customers want too much for their guns. However (and I don't know if it's just a local thing) the local gun shops seem to be offering a ridiculously low amount for any trades....and then they turn the guns for close to what they cost new. It's irritating.

For example, I was offered about $250 for my XD45 Bi-Tone with factory case and goodies, on trade for a used Glock 21 which was priced at $525 (!). I decided to just sell the XD at a gun show for $400, and I picked up a nice used 3rd gen G21 for $425 OTD at the same show.

People are probably just opting to not be ripped off, that's all. I know I won't be attempting to trade any guns anytime soon.....or ever.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Last time I asked a gun store how much trade I could get for a SigPro 2022 40 cal and he told me $300.00 I laughed and walked out,All my guns I've bought have come from internet sales #1 no sales tax and even with shipping and transfer fees I save money#2 A large selection and prices to choose from #3I like my guns and haven't needed to trade 1 to buy another one for quite awhile
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've never tried to sell or trade in a gun, but I have seen many that have. With the economy doing what it's doing, many are forced to sell what they can to survive. In my experience, the gun-dealers know this and are capitalizing on it. I don't like it, but it is what it is. I've even gotten some very good deals by offering a fairly low price after they laughed at a gun dealer, or was laughed at by a gun dealer for what they were asking for it.

I hope to never sell a firearm, but if I do, it will most likely be to somebody on this board, and it will be a mutually beneficial to both parties.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

You'd be surprised now at how many local newspaper ads I've seen selling firearms and what they want for them. Almost new prices in most of them for used guns. Everybody thinks they know the market. Well, they can keep them in my opinion. When they are really going to need the cash for them----they won't be able to sell them. Serves them right. Auctions would probably be the best bet these days on picking up bargains. Say----anybody interested in a LAAW rocket? The possibilities are endless......you really need one of these!

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    is 1100 for an FAL really that rediculous? New here they are around $1500. A parts kit is $500 on the internet, and an upper receiver will run another $500.

Sponsor
    We've got an Imbel FAL for 950.00 at the shop right now. I could have bought it for 800 from the customer, but I already have three of the them so said no thanks.

We've got plenty of people selling and trading guns daily at the shop here in Az east of Phoenix.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

"Say----anybody interested in a LAAW rocket?"

Will it successfully take jackrabbits?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "Say----anybody interested in a LAAW rocket?"

Will it successfully take jackrabbits?
    Sure......... Once.

Bob, I've kinda casually noticed the same while trolling gun shops, although I never had the feel for price you did.

I guess folks are stocking up and waiting...?

Thanks for the heads up!

Links