Lousy: Teen Shot, Killed In Hunting Accident by Grandfather

This is a discussion on Lousy: Teen Shot, Killed In Hunting Accident by Grandfather within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Teen Shot, Killed In Hunting Accident - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio LAVACA COUNTY, Texas -- A 14-year-old boy was accidentally shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Teen Shot, Killed In Hunting Accident - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio

LAVACA COUNTY, Texas -- A 14-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed in a hunting accident by his grandfather, investigators said.

According to the Lavaca County Sheriff's Office, Taylor Michalec's grandfather said he was walking behind the teen when the trigger on his AK-47 assault rifle snagged a branch and discharged, striking the teen in the back.

The shooting happened Wednesday afternoon near County Road 290, about five miles west of Moulton, Texas, about 100 miles east of San Antonio.

Both his father and grandfather tried to administer CPR, but when EMS responders arrived, the teen was pronounced dead. Michalec had just completed his freshman year at Steele High School, where he was a member of the football team.

Lavaca County investigators said they will not file any charges on the boy's grandfather because the shooting appeared to be an accident.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

'NRA Hunters Code of Ethics'

I will obey the rules of safe gun handling and will courteously but firmly insist that others who hunt with me do the same.
    NRA Hunter's Code of Ethics

In basic hunter ed. one is taught and strongly advised for this _exact_ reason to not carry a loaded arm whilst navigating on foot or by vehicle. All parties in the group should have their arms unloaded and with actions open as they travel.
    Tragic events such as this are completely and quite easily avoidable. :(

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

never walk with a firearm pointed at the guy in front of you,safety apparently was disengaged,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Hunting with an AK?? It appears this was an accident waiting to happen and it did...negligence, plain and simple.

Rick

Senior Moderator
    Hunting with an AK?? It appears this was an accident waiting to happen and it did...negligence, plain and simple.
    Lots of people around here use AK's, AR's and SKS's for deer.
    I dont see that the gun here is the issue. It could have happened with a shotgun or anything else.

Negligence with any gun can result in death.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

since I doubt the branch in question both switched off the safety on the AK as well as pulled the trigger, Im assuming he was walking with a chambered round, safety off, with the muzzle pointed at his grandson. Negligence pure and simple.
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    This enraged me. I haven't hunted in years, but I still remember the lessons taught in my hunter's safety course. The first one was DON'T POINT YOUR GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO KILL.

Regardless of whether the safety was off or he was travelling with the round chambered, which are also no-no's, he had it pointed at his grandson. This is what happens when people get overconfident and start getting lazy. This guy should have had enough experience to have known better. Arrrrggghhh!

Agreed HG...the gun is not the issue.

Nor is it that the safety was off or whatever.
    The issue was following basic hunter safety practices.
    You do not track or trail with a loaded firearm, even if you are alone or in a group walking as point.
    All firearms should be unloaded and all actions should be kept in the open position. Kept and carried that way until ready for immediate use.

This was completely avoidable as all within the party, not just grandpa, should have been looking out for each other to be sure they were safe for concern of their own personal safety.
    You're only as safe as your least safe persons practices.

International Hunter Education Association
    USA Shooting Video - 'The Basics of Safety'

http://6fbd21e64bc817fd097aa54148bd3...deo_Player.swf

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Taught rifle safety for two summers as an NRA certified riflery instructor. Unbelievable.

"Never point your rifle at anything you don't want to kill or destroy. Always point your rifle in a safe direction...."

Unbelievable. Tragic and stupid.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Lots of people around here use AK's, AR's and SKS's for deer.
    I dont see that the gun here is the issue. It could have happened with a shotgun or anything else.

Negligence with any gun can result in death.
    Agreed!
    I also doubt it was an 'assault rifle'.
    Pure negligence........................... how sad.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed HG...the gun is not the issue.

Nor is it that the safety was off or whatever.
    The issue was following basic hunter safety practices.
    You do not track or trail with a loaded firearm, even if you are alone or in a group walking as point.
    All firearms should be unloaded and all actions should be kept in the open position. Kept and carried that way until ready for immediate use.

This was completely avoidable as all within the party, not just grandpa, should have been looking out for each other to be sure they were safe for concern of their own personal safety.
    You're only as safe as your least safe persons practices.

International Hunter Education Association
    USA Shooting Video - 'The Basics of Safety'

http://6fbd21e64bc817fd097aa54148bd3...deo_Player.swf

- Janq
    I disagree with tracking and hunting with an unloaded weapon if you are deer hunting a deer will bolt at the sound of a round being chambered,and what about pheasant/quail hunting where you line up and walk an open field with loaded shotguns.They broke the main rules of gun safety,keep your weapon pointed in a safe direction and carry with safety on,only time I unload when hunting is when I cross an obstacle like a fence or creek where you might lose you're balance or the gun fall over.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

No season for any game animal right now. Probably coyotes or hogs, remote chance a mountain lion.

If you are stalking or tracking hogs you need to have a round chambered in case you frighten a boar or a sow with piglets or it is wounded and it charges.

But just as in hunting for doves or quail, always keep your safety on until ready to fire and keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

If it was an assault rifle, more than one shot would have fired. A burst would have come out.

It was simply a Semi Automatic Rifle in 7.62X 39

The thing that gets me is that the safety lever on an AK design is incredibly easy to put on and off while your shouldering the gun. It makes no sense to walk with it off. It, quite frankly, makes an excellent Hog gun for that reason. Lots of ammo and an easy on off safety.

Negligence is right.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I disagree with tracking and hunting with an unloaded weapon if you are deer hunting a deer will bolt at the sound of a round being chambered,and what about pheasant/quail hunting where you line up and walk an open field with loaded shotguns.They broke the main rules of gun safety,keep your weapon pointed in a safe direction and carry with safety on,only time I unload when hunting is when I cross an obstacle like a fence or creek where you might lose you're balance or the gun fall over.
    Duk,

Actively in the "hunt" is not at all the same as "tracking" or navigating "trail" to get to a point to hunt be it on the ground or from a stand.
    Also who hunts deer whilst walking...making noise...amongst a party...and them located in front of you?

The main rule of hunter safety is to not carry while loaded and to keep the action clear and open, whilst crossing any ground fences and water hazzards inclusive.

As to hunting winged animals the same rule applies, untill you are within the area of intent and actively in the hunt.
    At that time your party fans out in a line on the horizontal shoulder to shoulder, not the vertical staked front to back, or into an inverted V formation always being sure in either condition to give good spacing by matter of tens of feet if not yards between each man and to not cross each others zone of fire. All of this and more is covered in a modern basic hunters education course.

See the linked instruction video I provided from IHEA for the exact same statement of advisory toward hunter safety.

Additional information toward same can be found via...

Online Course - International Hunter Education Association
    Online Courses - IHEA (Available in English or Spanish)

Online Course - 'The Remington Guide to Shooting & Hunting Safety'
    http://www.remington.com/safety/onli...es/remopen.asp

Online Course - 'Indiana Hunter Safety Course and Hunting License test'
    Online Hunter Education Course and Hunting License test - Hunter Safety Course for Indiana Hunters

Quick and Short Video w/Comedy for Those of You Who Have Short Attention Spans - 'Hunter Safety' (NOT!)
    YouTube - Hunter Safety 2007

Tomorrow morning I am scheduled to attend a full day MA Wildlife new instructors introduction seminar toward entering their system as a volunteer instructor to teach basic firearms education and laws under their Hunter Safety Education course. I'll also be instructing in their Map, Compass, and Survival course to which MCS is also covered in HSE but only in brief. I'd suggest that all hunters take a full blown MCS course.
    I got into this per invitation by multiple instructors from both courses and by a program director to apply and do so last year.
    Further I'm a MA certified and licensed trapper working on extended level certification toward their Problem Animal Control (PAC) agent licensing.

MassWildlife - Hunter Education Program

Safety before stalking or traveling is what prevents terrible incidents like this from occurring. If you wind up missing a chance opportunity whilst traveling, and not actively hunting, then you've missed it at the expense of being safe rather than unsafe.

Even as he the guns mechanical safety might have been on at one time it's very much possible and does happen that while traveling amongst and through brush or simply being handled the safety may have been accidentally or inadvertently switched off by man or flora. Man continues to travel and then BOOM as a twig, brush, or vine entangles the trigger and causes an unexpected and and unintended but negligent discharge.
    The action being open and the firearm being unloaded is what is advised and is safest to which in this case would have resulted in no one not going home alive.

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Agreed Dukal. I never agreed with that nonsense concept of carrying an unloaded firearm hunting or not. It does at least two things(IMO), by re-enforcing bad habits:

1. Hunter JoeBlow carries the same unloaded rifle on every hunting trip for 15 years. 16 years in he "accidentally" points the "dangerous end" toward a fellow hunter, but says to himself..."no worries, it's unloaded"...repeat bad habit x number of times.
    2. Same said hunter gets himself dead when attacked by mountain lion while tracking his already shot game. Can't defend himself because he's too busy fuddling with the bolt trying to get it loaded while amped up on adrenaline.

The simple fact is the dingbat had a firearm pointed at someone when it shouldn't have been.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links