I Am Amazed at the Price of Rifle Ammo

This is a discussion on I Am Amazed at the Price of Rifle Ammo within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went looking at rifle ammo today (I am in the market for a new Browning X-Bolt). I have never owned a rifle before (used ...

Thread: I Am Amazed at the Price of Rifle Ammo

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I Am Amazed at the Price of Rifle Ammo

I went looking at rifle ammo today (I am in the market for a new Browning X-Bolt). I have never owned a rifle before (used to bowhunt) and didn't know it could cost me $1.10+ per shot!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    That'll teach you not to miss.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    welcome to the world of shock and awe

I actually reload for my bolt action rifles. Go figure. Now I'm shooting more pistol ammo and just saving brass.

Senior Moderator
    More and more people are getting into reloading.
    I had a guy ask me about it today.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

the average hunter doesn't shoot enough to offset the cost of reloading but then theres people that shoot a lot and I reload for every csaliber i have
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    The nice part about reloading is that while you're saving money and shooting more you are learning. My knowledge of ballistics and shooting has increased 300% since I started loading my own ammo. Now I load for my dad and a couple friends. They buy the dies and components and I keep the dies as a fee. It works out well for both parties.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Depending on why you buy a rifle, the cost of ammunition may force you into reloading. A rifle purchased primarily for deer/large game hunting will rarely be fired enough for the cost of ammunition to be a major factor. 1 box to check function and zero scope, 1/2 box upon arrival at deer camp to re-check zero, and the remaining half box for the actual hunt. This all assumes you are a decent shot to begin with and don't have to fire hundreds of rounds just to gain proficiency with the rifle. A target or varmint rifle is a different story. While bulk ammo can be purchased fairly reasonably for a few calibers (notably 223 and 7.62X39), most other calibers will drive you into the poor house if you don't reload. When we went prairie dog hunting, I took 5 rifles (4 centerfire, 1 rimfire) and a little over 3000 rounds of ammunition. Ended up shooting just over 500 rounds, but you can never be too prepared. Anticipation for the hunt consisted in sending almost 2000 rounds downrange in practice/load development. With today's prices, even reloading high-performance hunting ammunition isn't cheap (with bullets alone costing upwards of .20 each) but it is still much cheaper than shooting only premium factory ammo.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Now I load for my dad and a couple friends.

NOBODY uses my reloads but me.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    A rifle purchased primarily for deer/large game hunting will rarely be fired enough for the cost of ammunition to be a major factor. 1 box to check function and zero scope, 1/2 box upon arrival at deer camp to re-check zero, and the remaining half box for the actual hunt. Hoss

The remaining half box for the actual hunt? HO-chee-MAMA!! You need to take up reloading so you can afford to practice more!!

VIP Member
    With ammo prices sky high, ever wonder where in the world all the 4th world militias in the poorest of the poor countries get the money to fight?

It breaks my heart when I see news footage of armed men and boys, ammo draped on their shoulders, in countries such as Liberia, Congo, Urganda, Somalia. There's no money for food, for clean water, for sanitation, but somehow the money turns up to buy guns and ammo. Amazing. The guys walk around with a couple hundred dollars worth of
    ammo, but no one has a few cents for necessities. :---

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

There's no money for food, for clean water, for sanitation, but somehow the money turns up to buy guns and ammo. Amazing. The guys walk around with a couple hundred dollars worth of
    ammo, but no one has a few cents for necessities. :---
    That's a great point. I had never thought of that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    The remaining half box for the actual hunt? HO-chee-MAMA!! You need to take up reloading so you can afford to practice more!!
    Like my Daddy taught me, 1 bullet = 1 critter

BTW, I do reload if you didn't catch that from my other post.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I need to set up my reloading operation again. It's been gathering dust for way too long. The amount I like to shoot is detrimental to my bank account.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

The cost of all ammo, rifle, handgun, and shotgun has been going up dramatically. About 2+ years ago I heard a guy at a gun show that made, (not a reloader), bullets say how if you see a good price buy it. I took his advise and have a closet full of handgun and shotgun ammo. Whenever I saw a good price I bought and I am glad I did.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Links