Need a new Gun Law?

This is a discussion on Need a new Gun Law? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Saw this letter in a a paper downstate. Got me thinking. We have a law which criminalizes allowing your unlocked firearm to fall into the ...

Thread: Need a new Gun Law?

Need a new Gun Law?

Saw this letter in a a paper downstate. Got me thinking.

We have a law which criminalizes allowing your unlocked firearm to fall into the hands of a minor. Do we need one which criminalizes allowing your unlocked firearm to fall into the hands of a burglar?

In a couple of weeks a new law protects the rights of CWLees to carry to and from work (at least to parking lots) without fear of being adverse action by HR. But I reckon that may (slightly) increase the likelihood of cars being used as makeshift gunsafes. Realize that there is no law preventing a CWLee from carrying into the building at work, there is just not protection if the employer finds out and decides to terminate her/him. [Telling an armed employee that he/she is fired for carrying is prima facie evidence that you don't consider that person a threat, but Stupid is as Stupid does.]

BG could cruise the lot for "Protected by S&W" or "Gun Control ... two hands" stickers and decide where to steal new firepower.

Still, are we correct to assume that a locked car is adequate protection for a firearm? The legislature must think so. I know on returning from hunting trips, we don't carry the .22 or .17 rifle into wherever we stop for lunch. And (although they are in cases) we don't apply trigger locks. But God help whoever breaks into my truck to steal one; the rounds are in my pocket, not far from a loaded sidearm.

Probably a bad idea for a new law, but I agree something is amiss when there is no penalty (beyond financial) for leaving a loaded gun in a car that is burglarized.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by FLSquirrelHunter View Post
    Do we need one which criminalizes allowing your unlocked firearm to fall into the hands of a burglar?

... something is amiss when there is no penalty (beyond financial) for leaving a loaded gun in a car that is burglarized.
    So, what about home invasions. The intruder(s) gain access to the shotgun and pistol at your bedside, then do all sorts of bad things with those firearms that one "allowed" to be accessed. Seems illogical in the extreme, to me, based on an invalid assumption: that access equates to the owner having allowed it, abetted it, or outright assisted in the crime ... the implication being that one is effectively an accessory to the crime. When, in reality, it's the criminal that caused things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Do we need one which criminalizes allowing your unlocked firearm to fall into the hands of a burglar?

... something is amiss when there is no penalty (beyond financial) for leaving a loaded gun in a car that is burglarized.
    How about if somebody steals your car and kills somebody because they are driving drunk? or steals your steak knives? or your baseball bat? or your Bow and Arrow?

It's absurd to think that YOU or I should be responsible for somebody else's illegal actions.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Out side of it being illegal for a criminal to poses a gun what else do we really need.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    How about if somebody steals your car and kills somebody because they are driving drunk?
    Strong argument.

Actually, that's the rest of what I was thinkling after the post when we drove to church... isn't a car a deadly weapon, too? More people die from bad driving than bad shooting. When I leave either behind, I have a responsibility to secure my weapon and to lock my car. Doesn't one lock accomplish both purposes if the weapon is secured in a vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    It's absurd to think that YOU or I should be responsible for somebody else's illegal actions.
    Then I think somewhat absurdly. I am responsible for securing my weapon, from view and from burglary. Doesn't mean I can prevent, means I have to try. If I leave my squirrel rifle on the front lawn and someone uses it to break a window, that's partly my fault. That may seem absurd, but it's how I see things. Legally, it may be called contributory negligence, but I ain't no lawyer.

If I leave my squirrel rifle on the front lawn and someone uses it to break a window, that's partly my fault.
    Hm. If a small branch falls from your oak tree onto the front lawn and it's used by a thug to break your window to commit burglary, would you have been partly negligent in that crime?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think that we're better off punishing the criminals, rather than the victims of crime.......

<snip>
    Probably a bad idea for a new law, but I agree something is amiss when there is no penalty (beyond financial) for leaving a loaded gun in a car that is burglarized.
    That's crazy talk!

If someone breaks into my car (or my home) and steals my weapon (or my stereo, or TV, etc) it is THEIR fault, not my fault. Why on earth would you punish the victim of the crime?

A law like that would simply encourage people NOT to report stolen firearms.

Brian

I think we do need a new law. They should make it illegal for someone to break into your car and take your stuff. Oh, wait . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Moderator
    One nifty tidbit from Florida law:

If an unarmed person breaks into your home and touches one of your guns (even if it is in a rack and he doesn't actually remove it), the charge becomes Armed Burglary, and the potential penalty goes from 15 years to life in prison.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    One nifty tidbit from Florida law:

If an unarmed person breaks into your home and touches one of your guns (even if it is in a rack and he doesn't actually remove it), the charge becomes Armed Burglary, and the potential penalty goes from 15 years to life in prison.

Matt
    That is a niftly little law...I'll have to check and see if we have something like that in Tx.

That's good stuff, right there.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Links