Shooting Study

This is a discussion on Shooting Study within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Combat Shooting I ran accross this thread today and thought it would make a good discussion. What are your thoughts? What other studies have you ...

Thread: Shooting Study

VIP Member

Shooting Study

Combat Shooting

I ran accross this thread today and thought it would make a good discussion.

What are your thoughts?
    What other studies have you seen?
    How does this information affect your training?
    Does it make you more inclined to choose a revolver over an auto? (please, do not start an auto vs. revolver discusion!)

2. Remove Ads

The study is going on 40 years old, and has relevance where individuals or departments dedicate a whopping 50-100 rounds (or less) per annum to training.

If one wishes to shoot better:
    1) dry fire. Lots.
    2) .22 LR makes the best/most economical live fire those of us not working for Uncle Sugar can get (...and even then, sometimes.)
    3) know your gun (note, I did not say "guns." Not that one cannot attain proficiency with a variety of arms- it's just more labor intensive, and most people won't dedicate the work to become proficient with one.) Using your pistol should be as natural as taking a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    The study is going on 40 years old, and has relevance where individuals or departments dedicate a whopping 50-100 rounds (or less) per annum to training.

If one wishes to shoot better:
    1) dry fire. Lots.
    2) .22 LR makes the best/most economical live fire those of us not working for Uncle Sugar can get (...and even then, sometimes.)
    3) know your gun (note, I did not say "guns." Not that one cannot attain proficiency with a variety of arms- it's just more labor intensive, and most people won't dedicate the work to become proficient with one.) Using your pistol should be as natural as taking a leak.
    +1 , especially for dry fire.

That study is an oldie but goodie in a way. The main criticism is what you've pointed out, the lack of extensive practice. That, unfortunately, is a reality for many firearm owners, and that's why it's still a good study in some regards.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Even though the material was outdated, it was a really good read… I really like the links that to point and shoot training information.

Like others have said in other forums here on DC. Training and drills-practice at 15 yard targets can mean the difference between life and death.
    Last edited by tns0038; June 17th, 2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: edit

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Definately a good read. Also a good reason to practice threat-focused type shooting techniques. Funny, I've been running around my house with a snap-cap for 30 minutes quick drawing and shooting golf bags from the hip with imaginary bullets hahah.

Then I come here and read this!

VIP Member
    I ran across another study a while back but have misplaced the link. It was based entirely on NYPD shootings as well and weapon reliability. The study covered several decades and apparently there were no revolver failures, and only a few semi auto failures.

Links