Cleaning your CCW

This is a discussion on Cleaning your CCW within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi. I was wondering how often you all clean your carry guns? I mean, if they haven't been fired, should you still clean them often?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning your CCW

Cleaning your CCW

Hi. I was wondering how often you all clean your carry guns? I mean, if they haven't been fired, should you still clean them often?
    Kel Tec P-32 .32
    Grendel P-10 .380

2. Remove Ads

I only clean them when I fire them.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Depends on the climate and your line of work. Somebody in NV working outdoors is going to need to clean/relube much more often than somebody working at a desk.

Personally, I do a complete field strip, clean and lube after every range trip. I clean and oil the frame daily with this stuff Tuf Cloth - Gun Lubricant - dry film - lubrication and go to the range anywhere between 2-3 times per week to 1-2 times per month.

If I were to never shoot my EDC, I would do a complete field strip, clean and lube once a month, and I would still run the cloth over the frame daily or every few days.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I only clean them when I fire them.
    +1, but I fire them weekly almost regularly. Sometimes it may go 2 weeks between trips to the range. So they get cleaned fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by OzarksMagic View Post
    Hi. I was wondering how often you all clean your carry guns? I mean, if they haven't been fired, should you still clean them often?
    I would hope that you practice with your carry weapon. I go to the range at least once a week and fire 200-300 rounds depending on how much time I have. After that, I clean it.

I have a silicone cloth and I wipe it every time I take off my gun. I have a handgun safe and I keep it loaded at all times.

Every 3 days, and after every time I fire. Especially for a carry gun, you should keep fresh lube in there, and clean out the lint/dust/crap. Granted, you could probably get by with cleaning every week. After a couple months, it turns into a routine and you'll be extremely proficient so it will only take 5 minutes.

I carry Glock. That being said, I only clean them/it after a range session.

Administrator
    Depending on the gun and mode of carry, sometimes carrying a gun gets the dirty enough to malfunction quicker than shooting one will.
    If its that Taurus 85 you were talking about, I'd inspect daily and give it a quick once over weekly unless you notice a lot of lint more often.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Detail strip and clean every 1,000 rounds. They really don't need it then. If you wipe down the exterior once in awhile and keep a little lube on it, any decent gun can run a long time between cleanings. If you need to clean and lube your guns every time you use them, you don't have good guns.

ranburr

Once a month or so if not being used.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I usually clean out the lint and small dirt particles that have built up between the slide and frame, and in the bore. I put a light coating of CLP on the metal parts, and it's good to go for another couple months.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Really clean after shooting...wipe down when I notice lint and dust(I pocket carry)
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

I clean them after shooting. Carry guns get blown off with compressed air weekly.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    I clean them after shooting. Carry guns get blown off with compressed air weekly.

I do the compressed air on my HD guns and my carry gun weekly. It is pretty dusty around here, so I try to keep them good to go. Carry gun also gets a light rub down of oil once a week.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Moderator
    All of my guns get cleaned after every range trip or once every 3 months wether they need it or not.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links