Empty Shells Ejecting Into My Face - Page 2

Empty Shells Ejecting Into My Face

This is a discussion on Empty Shells Ejecting Into My Face within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at the range today and put another 125 rounds through my Ultra Carry. Perfect except for the shells flying back every so often. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Empty Shells Ejecting Into My Face

I was at the range today and put another 125 rounds through my Ultra Carry. Perfect except for the shells flying back every so often. Since there is a gunsmith at the range I talked to him about it. He said that since it does not happen all the time, but only once or twice with each mag I shoot, it is not the extractor, but that I am likely "limp wristing" when it happens. I didn't think I was, and don't know anything about who he is, except for the sign on his door that said "gunsmith." He also suggested that it could be the weak range ammo. I have put hollow points through it, but can't remember whether it only happens with the range ammo.

What do you guys think?
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I was at the range today and put another 125 rounds through my Ultra Carry. Perfect except for the shells flying back every so often. Since there is a gunsmith at the range I talked to him about it. He said that since it does not happen all the time, but only once or twice with each mag I shoot, it is not the extractor, but that I am likely "limp wristing" when it happens. I didn't think I was, and don't know anything about who he is, except for the sign on his door that said "gunsmith." He also suggested that it could be the weak range ammo. I have put hollow points through it, but can't remember whether it only happens with the range ammo.

What do you guys think?
    I think that if I had $.05 for every time I asked a smith about a gun problem and he responded with limp wrist I'd be a rich man.

Have you gone through the troubleshooting chart that JD provided a link to?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

In the meantime, don't forget the SAFETY GLASSES !!!

One easy way to tell if it is the gun or it's you is to sandbag or Ransom rest the gun thru two or three mags. If the ejection is consistent from rest - then it's the operator. If it's not, then rework the gun. Diagnosis is always key to a good repair.

I would have initially said a grip issue (READ - how you are holding the gun), since I have encountered that a few times myself. I get popped in the forehead, I adjust my grip a bit, problem solved.

I wish I had known about the extractor thing about 16 years ago. I had a Springfield 1911 and a Colt 1911A1 bought about 2 months apart. The Springfield the more accurate of the two, but 7 out of 8 rounds would pop me in the forehead right above the glasses. Sold it in a month.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post

What do you guys think?
    My Pro CDP does the same thing, and I've caught brass hard enough to break the skin. Nothing like walking off the range with blood trickling down your forehead...

It never happens with the first few mags; it happens sporadically, and generally after I've shot 100 rounds or so. Since it only happens when the gun gets hot, I'm wondering if it could be a combination of:

- grip
    - extractor tension changing as the gun gets hot

Since metal expands as it heats up, it makes sense to me that the extractor would "stretch" and change tension as the slide got hot. There is, however, a good possibility that I'm over-thinking it.

on page two of the "gang bangers survival manual" states "hold gun so ejection port is pointed up or down" to prevent spent shells from hitting your face and or crack pipe. jwr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links