Empty Shells Ejecting Into My Face

This is a discussion on Empty Shells Ejecting Into My Face within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My new Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II is ejecting the shells up into my face a few times with each mag. Other then this, the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empty Shells Ejecting Into My Face

Empty Shells Ejecting Into My Face

My new Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II is ejecting the shells up into my face a few times with each mag. Other then this, the gun is functioning perfectly. I have 300 rounds through it. Is this something that will clear up as I put more rounds through the gun, or is it a problem I should be concerned with now and call Kimber.

This is my first 1911 type gun, so am not familiar with what to expect. I will appreciate the advice of the more experienced mambers.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    My new Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II is ejecting the shells up into my face a few times with each mag. Other then this, the gun is functioning perfectly. I have 300 rounds through it. Is this something that will clear up as I put more rounds through the gun, or is it a problem I should be concerned with now and call Kimber.

This is my first 1911 type gun, so am not familiar with what to expect. I will appreciate the advice of the more experienced mambers.
    My very first 1911 did this. We replaced the extractor (we meaning the gun shop owner while I watched). It started kicking them out over my right shoulder after that.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

JD
    Administrator
    As noted above, it's generally an extractor issue, I just posted a post quoting a check for tuning your extractor the other day, I'll dig that up.

Also, you may want to shoot it a little more, Kimber recommends a 500 round break in period in the users manual, some Kimbers don't need it, some need every bit of that 500 and more.

Ahhh, here it is....

Quote Originally Posted by Ten_Ring View Post
    Give this a try and see what's happening, also check the "claw" of the extractor and make sure it's not damaged.

I had this happen with my CZ. The shells would end up in my hat. I was told just to get a small file on the extractor, and file a tiny amount, just enough to change the trajectory.

I did not have that kind of file, so the gunsmith at Gander Mtn did this for me at no charge- took him about a minute, and the problem was solved.

Not sure if the 1911 can be "fixed" the same way, but you might want to look into that possiblity.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

It likely is the Extractor being a tad too tight. Holding onto the rim a bit too firmly. A simple bending of the extractor to proper tune will likely fix it right up. I think they often make these too tight from factory, hence the break in periods they often ask for. its better to be a tad tight than a tad light. So they err on that side.

However they can also have a slight burr on the end of the lip which results in the same thing really, the lip of the Cartridge being held a tad too long by the extractor when the case hits the ejector. Running a file lightly over it with no extra pressure about three times gets that.

Yea, just follow those online extractor tuning instructions and it will fix it right up. But... just go a little bit. Its likely to fix itself with enough rounds but this will speed it up a bit and save ammo.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the link JD, I have heard about tuning the extractor but this is the first time seeing how it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I had a similar problem with my Kimber Pro Carry II that I bought back in January. Plus my gun was often not loading properly (usually the second round failed to load). I went through the 500 round break-in period, used several different types of magazines, cleaned the gun every 100 rounds and changed the recoil spring. NOTHING seemed to work.

After talking to Kimber several times, they finally said to send it to them with a detailed letter. I sent it to them, they had it back to me in a week and I haven't had a problem since (they also sent me a few extra magazines and springs to compensate for my trouble and shipping costs). My extractor needed to be adjusted and the ramp needed a little more polishing.

If I were you, I would put a couple hundred more rounds through and call them. And you should also keep your shirt untucked, because when mine was doing ejecting like yours I had a shell bounce off my face and then down my shirt and that hurt like hell!

Thanks for the responses. I think that, at this point, I will put another 200 rounds through it and if it is still happening will have my dealer contact Kimber. They are Kimber Master Dealers and I believe that they can get it shipped back at Kimbers expense. I am hesitant to start trying to repair it myself.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

My Colt .25 auto does that to me. Except the shells bounce off the brim of my cap. Plink! Plink!
    Hey, y'all shut up! I get enough grief at the range!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Thanks for the link JD, I have heard about tuning the extractor but this is the first time seeing how it's done.
    Don't thank me, thank Ten_Ring, he originally posted it in a thread that Lima started regarding some issues with her Kimber.

Senior Moderator
    There used to be a page on the internet that explained how to file an extractor and alter the trajectory of the spent shells. It also was published in a few of the "How To"books and customizing Colts and clones. It worked well, I have used the technique on several 1911's that I have done, but I cant for the life of me remember where it was.

Anyone got a link to it? It might be a good thing to read here.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    There used to be a page on the internet that explained how to file an extractor and alter the trajectory of the spent shells. It also was published in a few of the "How To"books and customizing Colts and clones. It worked well, I have used the technique on several 1911's that I have done, but I cant for the life of me remember where it was.

Anyone got a link to it? It might be a good thing to read here.
    Check the link in post #3.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks JD.
    Thats a good link, like a dummy I blew right by it.

The one I was talking about actually gave directions on where to file and the directions the spent case would take. I did it and my brass ends up in a nice little pile that is easy find and pick up to reload.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Thanks JD.
    Thats a good link, like a dummy I blew right by it.

The one I was talking about actually gave directions on where to file and the directions the spent case would take. I did it and my brass ends up in a nice little pile that is easy find and pick up to reload.
    Yeah that one sounds different, I'll check out M1911.org the next time I'm there and see if I can find it.

Administrator
    Yep, that's good information.
    It needs to be done very carefully though.

The relief cuts on the extractor allow the cartridge to be released sooner and easier when whapped by the ejector.

I'm not absolutely sure but, I think Brownell's now sells extractors that are already polished and tuned that way. They only need to be properly tensioned.

So for you members who are not DIY with delicate file and stoning work - you can buy one that is already finished.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links