Help me decide - .22 conversion or shotgun?

This is a discussion on Help me decide - .22 conversion or shotgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have the opportunity to buy either a .22lr conversion kit that fits my CZ P-01 and my wife's PCR. I'm also thinking about getting ...

Thread: Help me decide - .22 conversion or shotgun?

Help me decide - .22 conversion or shotgun?

I have the opportunity to buy either a .22lr conversion kit that fits my CZ P-01 and my wife's PCR. I'm also thinking about getting a shotgun (I only own handguns at this point). I'd like to get a shotgun for home defense, but I also like the idea of my wife & me being able to train more with our pistols for less $. (Money's tight right now), plus we have had some friends express an interest in going shooting with us, and some have never shot a handgun before.

Also, anyone know anything about Norinco shotguns? One of my local gundealers has a few for under $200. Are they any good?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

My Opinion

I would but the .22 conversion first since it's likely a far scarcer item.
    The .22 format is great to "entry level" teach your wife to shoot. The .22 conversion can also serve "double duty" as a possible future survival tool because you can pack LOTS of cheap ammo.

BEFORE you buy the .22 conversion kit - Make Sure that Extra Magazines are still available! You (for sure) don't want to own a .22 with only one doggone magazine...and have to hunt "hard & forever" to find extra magazines. If spare mags ARE still around then buy a few as soon as you're sure that your conversion works properly. Don't wait too long to buy extra mags.

Good shotty shotguns are a "Dime A Dozen" ~ I would absolutely buy a used (in good condition) Remington, Mossberg, or Ithaca over a Brand New Norc any day...but, that is just what I would do.

By the way: Before you plunk down your hard earned dollars for the .22 Conversion find out (ask) if you can return it if it's problematic.
    As with all .22 conversions SOME are MUCH better than others.
    Buy at least a few different ammo brands right away.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Hmmm that's a tough one. But I'm going to say get a shotgun. I feel everyone should have a 12 gauge shotgun. Shotguns do everything. Personally I know nothing of the Norincos, but I would suspect with a little digging some great deals can be found on any of the big 4.

Administrator
    Get The Shotgun

Get The .22

No...buy the scattergun!

Now what's he going ta do Euc?

I was thinking that it would be more important to teach his wife to shoot something/anything first.

Assistant Administrator
    On balance 22 conversion first but -noting QK's comment re mag's.

Shotties are always out there and a short Rem 870 will do well when you can afford it - a Mossy probably well cheaper than that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Get The Shotgun

Get The .22

No...buy the scattergun!

Now what's he going ta do Euc?

I was thinking that it would be more important to teach his wife to shoot something/anything first.
    QK, maybe I should clarify this - my wife actually already does shoot. I'm thinking of the .22 more as a way to get more range/training time for the buck (we'll still shoot our 9's and my .45), and to get other people interested in shooting.

I agree with QKShooter 100% Get the conversion! Shotties are easy to come by and better if you can get a good USED one. My FAV Benelli (original M121 forerunner to the Super 90) is used and I couldn't be happier with such an awesome package. Got it years ago for just about $400....complete with pro-port job, ghost ring sights, sling, extended tube and perhaps the most beautiful wood "furniture" I've ever seen anywhere. I can empty the whole eight rd tube before the first extracted hull hits the ground. Look hard and you'll find a similar example. Get the conversion and practice LOTS!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Well hang on... how much do those conversions normally run? If it's an uncommonly good deal I'd get it.

You'll have to pardon my ignorance as I've never had a need for a .22LR conversion kit never having had a gun that would accept one.

Euc,
    The best price I've seen for the conversion (it's called a CZ Kadet) is $219.00. For that you get the barrel, slide & 2 10-rd (Klinton ) magazines.

Lead Moderator
    for just a little more you could have a used or new .22 pistol. I don't know how well the conversions work, but a handgun built to run .22 will

Yeah I've gotta side with Rocky on that one.

Reasons to convert....

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    for just a little more you could have a used or new .22 pistol. I don't know how well the conversions work, but a handgun built to run .22 will
    The 22 conversions offered by Kimber are meant to easily and efficiently convert their 1911's to the more affordable round with flawless reliability. The idea is that you still have to utilize all of the 1911 controls which may be different on the 22 pistol and therefore your tactics will be seamless. The Kimber stuff seems to be selling very well.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

But Ex?

Why not just get a 22/45 and accomplish the same thing and have two pistols to boot?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Why not just get a 22/45 and accomplish the same thing and have two pistols to boot?
    If ya got the $$$ go for it. I don't. But then, I've always preferred to simply practice with the 45 rd because nothing beats the training for recoil and tactics. A good 22 will give me something for the dinner pot in an emergency but a 45 will keep the BGs from feeding on me and mine.

SHOTGUN IT!

Heck, I use my shotgun for just about everything.....recessed light installation, can opener, hammer, apple corer...the versitility is endless!
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Links