Traveling with NFA items to NC?

This is a discussion on Traveling with NFA items to NC? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have any info on whether or not it's ok to travel(car - no airports) into NC with an NFA item (specifically a suppressor)? Would ...

Thread: Traveling with NFA items to NC?

Question Traveling with NFA items to NC?

Anyone have any info on whether or not it's ok to travel(car - no airports) into NC with an NFA item (specifically a suppressor)? Would be traveling from VA to NC. It seems it's legal to own them there, but unsure if they fully recognize all the different "methods" of NFA "ownership"(trusts etc...).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I was under the impression that to transport NFA items across state lines without the proper "permissions" was illegal.

I seem to recall a pretty good link regarding NFA items, I'll see if I can find it.

JD
    Administrator
    OK, this is what I was thinking of.

Travel and Use:
    Do not take NFA firearms out of state without first checking with BATFE. For machine guns, short barrel rifles, and short barrel shotguns, you will need prior approval from BATFE on a Form 5320.20 to travel interstate or to permanently move NFA firearms to another state. This protects you from accidentally going some place where they are banned. If the state you are traveling to allows possession of the type of NFA firearm you own, and you have received prior approval on a Form 5320.20 (if applicable), then you can transport the firearm through any state just like any other firearm. That means it must be unloaded and readily inaccessible (in a locked case or trunk of the car). While in a travel status you are afforded the same protection as any other gun owner under the GOPA 86 law. You cannot be legally arrested for simply passing through a state, county, or township where the guns are banned unless you violate the procedures just described or stop in that state for an extended period of rest. Necessary stops for food, gas, repairs, etc., are allowed. Stopping to site-see, visit friends, or even spend the night, might be construed as an unnecessary delay and place you at risk. Check your state and local laws for other restrictions that may apply regarding hunting, concealed carry, or self-defense with an NFA firearm.
    I was thinking firearms, which obviously a suppressor is not a firearm.

Here's the link where I found the above quoted material:

Quick FAQS related to Machine Guns and Suppressors...

Still seems like a good idea to check with the authorities before hand, I wouldn't trust us internet folks when it comes to transporting NFA items across state lines, too much to risk if we're misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Still seems like a good idea to check with the authorities before hand, I wouldn't trust us internet folks when it comes to transporting NFA items across state lines, too much to risk if we're misinformed.

+1 The consequinces for being wrong are too extreme. A simple phone call to them would probably clear it up for you.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Thanks for the help guys. I'll see about calling them this afternoon.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I was under the impression that to transport NFA items across state lines without the proper "permissions" was illegal.

I seem to recall a pretty good link regarding NFA items, I'll see if I can find it.
    IIRC only on a Machine Gun.

Suppressors if its legal in that state I don't think you have to do a 5320.20. I did one for my UZI to take it to Maryland, never took one of my cans to Maryland but still I don't think its necessary. (Could be wrong, Could be wrong) I don't think you have to do them for Cans, SBR's, AOWs. Don't take my word for it check anyways but I think I'm correct. If i'm not then PLEASE let me know.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    IIRC only on a Machine Gun.

Suppressors if its legal in that state I don't think you have to do a 5320.20. I did one for my UZI to take it to Maryland, never took one of my cans to Maryland but still I don't think its necessary. (Could be wrong, Could be wrong) I don't think you have to do them for Cans, SBR's, AOWs. Don't take my word for it check anyways but I think I'm correct. If i'm not then PLEASE let me know.
    Nope, you're right. I called the NFA branch of the BATFE in WV (304-616-4500). He said you DON'T need the form for the suppressors. He said just check to be absolutely certain that the state you're traveling to allows possession and make sure to take a copy of your form4 or form1 or whatever it's on.

-The Mist (2007)

Links