Holster etiquette

Holster etiquette

This is a discussion on Holster etiquette within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw this post on a hunting forum by a guy from Maryland, and was wanting to see what your thoughts are on this: Yesterday ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Holster etiquette

I saw this post on a hunting forum by a guy from Maryland, and was wanting to see what your thoughts are on this:

Yesterday I had some visitors out on my sailboat for the afternoon.
    It’s a 36ft sloop and there were 7 adults and a 2 year old.

We were boarded by the US Coast Guard for a “safety inspection”.
    A couple of guys came aboard and wanted to see all the various things that I have to have on the boat.
    Amazingly I passed the inspection.

So I was sitting in the cockpit across from one of the young Coastguardsmen while he filled out a paper saying that we had been inspected and passed.
    I noticed that he had his pistol in some kind of plastic leg holster, a very tactical looking thing.

What made me notice it was that sitting the way he was, his pistol was pointed right at me as I was sitting across from him. From the look of the hole in the end, I’d say it was a .40…. But perhaps it just seemed that big as I was looking down the end.

I figured I was safe enough and the guys were nice and so I didn’t bring up his poor firearms handling.

So is it ok to have a holster that points the pistol at whoever is sitting across from you?
    I explained that shoulder holsters point the gun at a lot of people, but as long as the trigger is covered, I don't see a problem with it.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Doesn't bother me. I have never seen a gun just start shooting on it's own. As long as it is holstered ( and I would also guess that it was a very good retension holster) there is nothing to worry about.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Any pocket holster is bound to point at someone when the holster wearer is sitting down. The only difference being that the person at the end of the muzzle doesn't have a clue. You're probably pointing it at the person's crotch that is sitting across the table from you and don't think anything of it. That's because you know the trigger is guarded and that guns don't shoot people. This is just unavoidable. And what they don't know can't hurt them, right.

That being said, it is not cool/safe to have a gun(loaded or not) pointed at you. Something should have been said to the guardsman and he should have turned in his seat to avoid this. Some people it won't bother at all...but a little etiquette should be exercised here.

Whether or not someone wearing a shoulder holster decides to aim a gun at their own armpit/shoulder all day is their own business.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

A holstered sidearm is a safe(er) sidearm. If the individual wearing the sidearm is irresponsable then look out for him. Unless the Coastguardsmen in question was being generally unsafe, I think all was good to go.

But like youngda9 said, a little professional etiquette is always good as well.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Doesn't bother me. I have never seen a gun just start shooting on it's own. As long as it is holstered ( and I would also guess that it was a very good retension holster) there is nothing to worry about.
    +1. If you're using a downward-facing holster, you sweep people on the floor below you in a multi-story building. If you wear a horizontal shoulder holster, you sweep untold numbers of people. It happens, and the chances of a gun going off by itself are pretty infintessimal.

Now, when the SPs show up at the chow hall and sweep everyone with their rifles, that's a different story...
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I reckon it happens more than most of us might realize. That being said, I don't believe I'd sit there long enough in a quandry as to what caliber it was by looking at the "hole"--I'd be moving to one side or the other. If the muzzle followed me then I'd get up and sit on the same side as the tactical dude. No--the pistol won't go off by itself, but it would make me a bit uncomfortable. If the muzzle was covered it also might make a difference as to just how uncomfortable I might feel.

A good holster is designed to protect those areas that could snag on something and cause the gun to go off. Guns just don't spontaeously fire themselves. Something has to disengage the safety (if there is one) and pull the trigger. Any holster that I've seen for carry covers over those areas and the gun is, I consider, safe.

That being said, I've seen people carry guns on clips or loose in their pocket. Those people are a little crazy if you ask me. It's a sort of asking for it situation.

If the coastie had the pistol in a drop leg holster then the trigger and safety were protected by the holster.

Administrator
    Properly holstered firearm. No Problem.

I've said this on DC several times before.

When you have your firearm holstered muzzle down at the waist...do you ever walk around on the second floor of your house?

If you do then your muzzle could be pointed right at the tops of the heads of the people walking around on the first floor below you.

Since most average construction homes will not even come close to stopping a bullet do you feel that you are NOT endangering the lives of the people on the floor below you just because you can't actually see them?

If your properly functioning firearm is properly holstered don't fidget with it - leave it alone - and don't be concerned about it.

The muzzle rule is not applicable to properly holstered firearms.

If your holstered firearm was sitting on the coffee table in front of you - would you never walk in front of it because you were afraid it was going to shoot you all by itself?

Of course you would walk in front of it. It's no less safe just because it's attached to your body.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

You explained that well and caused me to pause to think. Now I will feel confident about a properly holstered gun and not worry about where the muzzle is pointed.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    A holstered sidearm is a safe(er) sidearm.
    Assuming reasonable equipment, absolutely.

Have had a few "pointed" in my direction similarly, before. If well-holstered, I generally have no issue. If issue, I simply move to change the mix.

I've got a Galco Yaqui slide holster that has a pretty good cant to it. When bending down to pick up brass, the muzzle certainly points at folks behind me. Can't help that. Still, as with the Coastie example, this isn't a threat ... since it's holstered.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the replies! I'll send him a link to this thread.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I'll send him a link to this thread.
    I'm a sailor.....

To heck with the holster, I want to hear about his boat!

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I'm a sailor.....

To heck with the holster, I want to hear about his boat!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    You explained that well and caused me to pause to think. Now I will feel confident about a properly holstered gun and not worry about where the muzzle is pointed.
    Now you should just be concerned with who the holster is attached to.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Holstered sidearm, no problem. As long as that trigger is covered up and nothing can get at it, I'm safe.

When I carry IWB it's almost always appendix carry at or about 1-2 o'clock. When I sit down it's pointed right at my jimmy. I certainly wouldn't feel safe about that if it wasnt in a holster!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links