Ultra Carry dual recoil springs

This is a discussion on Ultra Carry dual recoil springs within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Kimber UC II and have purchased Wolff recoil springs for it. Obviously, one of the springs slips right off the 2 piece ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Carry dual recoil springs

Ultra Carry dual recoil springs

I have a Kimber UC II and have purchased Wolff recoil springs for it.

Obviously, one of the springs slips right off the 2 piece guide rod, but the other is captured.

It appears that the larger end must? unscrew?

I have a plastic jawed vise, but want to verify that this is the process.

Anyone have any experience with this, or recommendations?

Thanks.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

2. Remove Ads

By the way, I guess this is technically not what is normally called a 2 piece guide rod. It is the Kimber factory part that has a rod and a plunger with 1 spring over the rod, under the plunger, and the other spring over the plunger.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."

I'm in the exact same position right now, ordered new wolff springs a few days ago and found that I have absolutely no idea how it comes apart. I've tried just unscrewing it, but didn't want to put too much force on it and ruin the assembly.

Apparently Kimber will replace them for you if you send it to yonkers, and add 19.95$. New factory assembly is around $50.

It also seems that my 11 lb mag springs are too long, and they cut one round off capacity in 7 and 8 rnd mags...which makes about 0 sense to me. I must be missing something.
    Armed and waiting...

can you post a pic of the assembly so i can see what you're dealing with.Go to m1911.org they have manufacturer specific web forums I know you can find your answers there
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Try giving Wolf Springs or Kimber a call. They have helped me in the past.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by hghgrad View Post
    I'm in the exact same position right now, ordered new wolff springs a few days ago and found that I have absolutely no idea how it comes apart. I've tried just unscrewing it, but didn't want to put too much force on it and ruin the assembly.

Apparently Kimber will replace them for you if you send it to yonkers, and add 19.95$. New factory assembly is around $50.

It also seems that my 11 lb mag springs are too long, and they cut one round off capacity in 7 and 8 rnd mags...which makes about 0 sense to me. I must be missing something.
    New mag springs may need to be "broken in" I know that for my Hi Power mags, I replaced the original springs with + Power springs and could only get 14 in a 15 round mag, I left them loaded with the 14 for about a week an then was able to get the 15th round in place.

Same thing here.

Quote Originally Posted by stewartjwnls View Post
    I have a Kimber UC II and have purchased Wolff recoil springs for it.
    Obviously, one of the springs slips right off the 2 piece guide rod, but the other is captured.
    It appears that the larger end must? unscrew?
    I have a plastic jawed vise, but want to verify that this is the process.
    Anyone have any experience with this, or recommendations?
    Thanks.
    I'm in the same boat with my SA Micro Compact. It also has a 2 spring recoil assembly and the only way to change the inside spring is to take apart the assembly. Unfortunately once you unscrew the assembly it will come apart while your shooting it. SA recommends replacing the entire assembly, usually about every 2500-300 rounds.. and that fits with when mine wore out. The part of the "guide rod" that screws into the base plate has a mushroomed head that locks the "guide rod into place, once you unscrew it it cannot be re-mushroomed, so it WILL and DOES come apart when you shoot. I'm trying to find a 1 piece assembly that will work, but so far haven't been able too.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Flippinstk View Post
    I'm in the same boat with my SA Micro Compact. It also has a 2 spring recoil assembly and the only way to change the inside spring is to take apart the assembly. Unfortunately once you unscrew the assembly it will come apart while your shooting it. SA recommends replacing the entire assembly, usually about every 2500-300 rounds.. and that fits with when mine wore out. The part of the "guide rod" that screws into the base plate has a mushroomed head that locks the "guide rod into place, once you unscrew it it cannot be re-mushroomed, so it WILL and DOES come apart when you shoot. I'm trying to find a 1 piece assembly that will work, but so far haven't been able too.
    can you put it in a vice with a cone shaped insert and mushroom it that way
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    can you put it in a vice with a cone shaped insert and mushroom it that way
    dukalmighty.... I probably could, but I have had the center quide rod (if you really want to call it a guide "rod") come out during shooting as the range and I would HATE for that to happen when and IF I really needed to pistol to function properly. I just emailed SA to find out the specifics about sending the Micro back to them for service. I have another issue (broken ejector pin) that I cant fix by just replacing the part. And I'll be back from deployment in a few months so I wanted to get it done after I got back.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

I guess I'll have to call Wolff. Not sure I understand why they sell 2 replacement recoil springs for this, if no one seems to know how to successfully change them out.

eww
    I replaced the whole assy. in my Ultra. I ordered it from Kimber and swapped the whole thing. The reason I changed mine is it kept unscrewing while I was shooting. The new has given me no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by eww View Post
    I replaced the whole assy. in my Ultra. I ordered it from Kimber and swapped the whole thing. The reason I changed mine is it kept unscrewing while I was shooting. The new has given me no problems.
    So, from what you're saying, it does unscrew. Mine's so tight, I'm afraid to put too much pressure on it.

Something like Loctite would not stand up to the recoil?

eww
    Yes the one I replaced does. The new one seems to be well locked into place and I do not want to try and force it.

I did hear back from Wolff. They indicated that it is a screw on part, but it has Loctite on it. They recommended heating it to softern the Loctite.

I'm going to try this, and re-Loctite it when I'm done.

We'll see what happens.

Yeah i just got done with mine. I put two 1/4 inch thick strips of rubber on the jaws of some vice grips and secured the small end. Then i placed the larger end in a vice and heated it (grill lighter) up to break the locktite. Gave it a real quick 1/2 turn and it came right off. Installed the wolff xp springs and have it back together I need to get back to the range and give it a whirl.

Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links