P225/P6 keyholing

This is a discussion on P225/P6 keyholing within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi - Just went to the range today and put 150 rounds through my P225/P6 that I got from AIM. Didn't clean it the whole ...

Thread: P225/P6 keyholing

P225/P6 keyholing

Hi -

Just went to the range today and put 150 rounds through my P225/P6 that I got from AIM. Didn't clean it the whole time and the last 30-40 rounds ALL keyholed perfectly sideways. I mean, like a flat parallel line punched neatly out of the target at 10 yards or so.

The barrel got pretty dirty but I'm surprised that this would be the result. I assume that this will go away once I clean the barrel thoroughly. I was using the range's ammo, which I believe is winchester. (not handloads or reloads)

Any thoughts on whether this indicates a problem with the gun, or is it unreasonable to expect that it runs well while dirty? No other problems even though the extractor got filthy.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Did some more reading and it looks like this was a dumb question. Barrel got dirty and I guess that causes the bullet not to engage the rifling. I never saw that happen before but it sounds like it's to be expected.

That problem would seem to be beyond a simple dirty barrel. With modern factory ammunition a rifled barrel should at least stabilize the bullet. Accuracy may deteriorate but it shouldn't keyhole. One hundred and fifty rounds is no big deal. I'd be for further investigation if it was my gun.

JD
    Administrator
    What was your target? Was it just a piece of paper hanging on a carriage, or did it have a cardboard backer.

I've seen plenty of oblong tears in targets that were paper only as a result of the target moving while being shot.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Did some more reading and it looks like this was a dumb question. Barrel got dirty and I guess that causes the bullet not to engage the rifling. I never saw that happen before but it sounds like it's to be expected.
    The only time a bullet won't engage the rifling is when there isn't rifling to engage. If you have enough fouling to keep the bullet off the lands, it would blow the barrel. You're shot-out dude. I might possibly be wrong, but in a service-caliber weapon from a major maker, that's usually the answer...

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    my son is on his way to a shop right now to pick up a P6. I field stripped it Friday and checked it over, and it appeared to have a new barrel, spring and guide rod. I was under the impression that the current wave of P6's on the market were all German Police service weapons that had been refurbed in the Sig factory. I wouldn't think one with a "shot out" barrel would be distributed. Was the P6 in question one of the recent refurbs??

surv

Please reshoot using a properly supported target or cardboard, the tear at the bottom is from the page flipping back. There may even be some muzzle exhaust that is flipping the target, or the wind is blowing the target. Try supporting the target from the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    The only time a bullet won't engage the rifling is when there isn't rifling to engage. If you have enough fouling to keep the bullet off the lands, it would blow the barrel. You're shot-out dude. I might possibly be wrong, but in a service-caliber weapon from a major maker, that's usually the answer...
    Rob72, what do you mean by "shot-out"?
    BTW, your avatar creeps me out..
    Yoda, I am, yes.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Rob72, what do you mean by "shot-out"?
    BTW, your avatar creeps me out..
    "Shot out" refers to the rifling being so worn down from use that it is almost non-existent and no longer makes contact with the projectile, making the rifling non-effective in causing the projectile to spin.

Links