Why can I not shoot my gun straight??

This is a discussion on Why can I not shoot my gun straight?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Glock 23, my first hand gun ever, and it seems no matter what I do I cannot shoot it straight. It's fairly ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can I not shoot my gun straight??

Why can I not shoot my gun straight??

I have a Glock 23, my first hand gun ever, and it seems no matter what I do I cannot shoot it straight. It's fairly frustrating and embarassing at the range and when we go camping/shooting. One of my buddies say I might be jerking the pistol in anticipation of it firing, which may well be it. Anyway, are there exersices you can do to correct negative behavior like this? Anyone else experienced this?

2. Remove Ads

Get some snap caps and do lots of dry fire practice.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Moderator
    Practice Dry Firing and see if you are pushing the barrel down when you pull the trigger.

Slowly squeeze the trigger when you are at the range while keeping the sights lined up.

Use the target and see if it helps

“You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I have a Glock 23, my first hand gun ever, and it seems no matter what I do I cannot shoot it straight. It's fairly frustrating and embarassing at the range and when we go camping/shooting. One of my buddies say I might be jerking the pistol in anticipation of it firing, which may well be it. Anyway, are there exersices you can do to correct negative behavior like this? Anyone else experienced this?
    Ok,here's a list of questions and things to do.

1: Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. Get some snap caps and just dry fire using proper grip, sight alignment, and all the other fundamentals and practice for at least 30 minutes a night.

2: At what distance are you shooting? If your shooting at 25 yards, bring the target in closer.

3: How quickly are you shooting. Take your time, get the fundamentals right for each shot. If your "dumping" a mag and getting buckshot pattern, slow your rate of fire.

4. Don't shoot a full mag all in one firing session, shoot 5, put the gun down muzzle pointed down range, rest a little bit, shoot 5 more, repeat. Muscular tension can be a killer for accuracy, if your muscles are shaking, your natural point of aim is going to go away.

5. Keep your grip consistent. I just had a student the other week that was shifting his grip in between shots. Your firing hand and support hand should not move in between shots.

Print this off and take it with you to the range.

Administrator
    A G23 is a excellent gun and I hate to say it, but a G23 is a horrible gun to learn on. It can be done, but its a tough gun for a noob.
    Dry fire is the only answer I can come up with via the 'net, but I'm willing to bet there are issues with grip and other things as well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

We grow up watching tv and assume that shooting a accurately is an easy thing to do. It's not.

I highly recommend that you consider some professional instruction. You'll be amazed at the difference it'll make, both in terms of your ability, and your enjoyment.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    All the points have been covered pretty well, one other idea, have a buddy load a couple of snap caps in a mag for you, then shoot, when you get to the fake round, you'll notice for sure if you are flinching.

As others have said,

Dry Fire, and then dry fire some more.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Learn that Glock trigger! Using some of the aforementioned techniques. It takes time to get comfortable and reliable for you. I think a percentage of folks who just plain don't like Glock pistols never learned good operating procedures. If you are used to other types of pistols and are transitioning to the Glock----forget everything you know---make new habits with this pistol before you become disenchanted with it. My guess is also you're over-thinking your aiming and maybe changing your shooting stance or fidgeting a bit also. Start with a firm foundation and the basics.

How badly are you off?

Just a thought, but here was my problem for a while.....as discussed in another of my threads....

I am a righty but left-eye dominant. I would aim right-handed but close my right eye & use my left eye to sight......severely pushing my shots off to the left by atleast 4-6 inches.

May not be your problem, but thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

Also, when dry firing, place a dime on top of the slide. If the dime moves, you need to work on your trigger pull. Don't put too much finger on the trigger. The tip of the finger in the 'fingernail area' should be what is used to bring the trigger straight back. Try not to anticipate the shot. Bring your finger back in one smooth and continuous motion, and you should be a little 'surprised' when it fires. Try shooting from a rest. Let others shoot your Glock, perhaps there is something wrong with your sights or your gun. Try to borrow somebody else's weapon and see how it shoots.

Sometimes a person and a gun are incompatible. It may be that the Glock just doesn't work for you. It didn't for me.

To check your eye dominance, poke a hole in the center of a 8x11 piece of paper with a pencil. Hold it at arms length with both eyes open. Look through the hole. Bring the paper in closer. When the paper touches your face, the eye that you are using to look through it is your dominant eye. If you are a right handed shooter and left eye dominant, try shooting with both eyes open.

Uhmm, if none of that works, pay for some lessons. Pay for lessons, anyway, if you can.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

GREAT advice Kerbouchard!

1943 - 2009
    Uhmm, if none of that works, pay for some lessons. Pay for lessons, anyway, if you can.
    That's the best advice so far.

Get some professional instruction. Look up the NRA certified instructors in your area.

You can't learn to shoot on the Internet.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

It'd probably be quicker with an instructor, but many excellent shooters were self taught.

Obtain a comfortable, steady, and consistent hold on the firearm. I've seen very good shooters with odd holds... but they are at least consistently odd.

Concentrate on the front sight, it should be sharply in focus. It needs to be lined up in the center of the back notch, and level with it, though the rear sight is going to be out of focus a bit. Put that sharply in-focus front sight on the target, and concentrate on holding it there while smoothly squeezing the trigger. The target will be somewhat fuzzy... don't worry about it, just hold on it and keep concentrating on that front sight.

I'd say there's a 99% probability that there's not a thing in the world wrong with the weapon. Learning to shoot well takes time and effort. Instinct, childhood fantasy, and testosterone are not enough, you simply have to practice.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    That's the best advice so far.

Get some professional instruction. Look up the NRA certified instructors in your area.

You can't learn to shoot on the Internet.
    You know, I think that's probably the best/truest advice I've ever seen or head given on the internet.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post

I am a righty but left-eye dominant. I would aim right-handed but close my right eye & use my left eye to sight......severely pushing my shots off to the left by atleast 4-6 inches.
    I am just the opposite with the same results...lefty, right eye dominant with 4-6 inches right. Keeping the both eyes open, trigger finger, start closer in, dry fire...but the best help you can get is from an instructor watching closely what you are doing and also offer tips on improvement. Practice does make...etc etc.

Rick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links