Taurus 1911 Recommendation? - Page 2

Taurus 1911 Recommendation?

This is a discussion on Taurus 1911 Recommendation? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't own one either, and don't need to in order to be accurate in stating that the craftsmanship isn't close to the other major ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    I don't own one either, and don't need to in order to be accurate in stating that the craftsmanship isn't close to the other major brands, and Taurus C/S in notorious for being horrible.
    With that said, a lot of people really seem to like their 1911's from Brazil, I'm glad they found a bargain.

I liked my Dodge Neon at one time too.
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 24th, 2008 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Lots of spelling errors
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont own one ethier, and dont need to in order to be accurate in stateing that the craftsmanship isnt close to the other major brands, and Taurus C/S in notorious for being horrible.
    With that said, a lot of people really seem to like their 1911's from Brazil, I'm glad they found a bargain.

I liked my Dodge Neon at one time too.
    Well if you have a grand or more to spend I'd say get a kimber or springfield. But the Taurus is a very good gun for the price. Methinks you are being a little snobby. You too Husker.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Sorry you feel that way. I see gently used Colts, Kimbers, and Springfields for under $600 quite often. New Yugo or used Nissan...your choice.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Sorry you feel that way. I see gently used Colts, Kimbers, and Springfields for under $600 quite often. New Yugo or used Nissan...your choice.
    Ok I'll buy the used argument.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

your typical "gun snob" will tell you that there is better out there for just a lil more money, even though most of them never owned or shot a Taurus...I'd put my PT 1911 against any Kimber or SA...don't get me wrong, those are both quality craftsmanship pistols, but I think the PT 1911 is too.

I have a family friend that bought not 1 but 2 brand new Kimbers and have since had to send both of them back to Kimber multiple times because of extraction issues. Although they love both of their pistols, they have decided that those would be the last Kimbers they ever buy.

I've put close to an additional 1000 rds through mine since aquiring it from a member on this board and it will spit out any brand of ammo I feed it.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Quote Originally Posted by AirMech74 View Post
    your typical "gun snob" will tell you that there is better out there for just a lil more money, even though most of them never owned or shot a Taurus...I'd put my PT 1911 against any Kimber or SA...don't get me wrong, those are both quality craftsmanship pistols, but I think the PT 1911 is too.
    I was one of the ones who recommended he buy the Taurus, but as far as comparing it to my Kimbers or my Fusion thats on the way, I believe the PT falls short.

The PT is a great gun for the money, and I believe it can be a great introduction to the 1911 world, but as far as actually comparing a Taurus to a Kimber, much less a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Fusion, or a half dozen other high quality manufacturers the similarities pretty much stop at the fact that they all fire projectiles.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

JD
    Administrator

While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts or PMs. Trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are strictly prohibited. You are welcome to disagree with opinions other than your own, but flaming other members will not be allowed. If you can't figure out how to compose a post without it being confrontational or a personal attack on someone, simply bite your lip and don't post it.
    We're starting to get a little close to the hairy edge, just a friendly reminder.

Now hold on man, I never said I'd put it up against a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, or a Fusion...I said I'd put it up against a Kimber or a Springfield...lol I'm not that naive.

I do think that a good shooter with a Taurus can shoot just as good with an equally good shooter with a Kimber.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Quote Originally Posted by AirMech74 View Post
    Now hold on man, I never said I'd put it up against a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, or a Fusion...I said I'd put it up against a Kimber or a Springfield...lol I'm not that naive.

I do think that a good shooter with a Taurus can shoot just as good with an equally good shooter with a Kimber.
    I think most firearms can and will outshoot most shooters, and I will include the Taurus PT1911 in the 'most firearms' category, but only with a qualifier:

Most cars can exceed the speed limit, some just make it a lot more fun getting there.

P.S. JD, happy 7000th post!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Well if you have a grand or more to spend I'd say get a kimber or springfield. But the Taurus is a very good gun for the price. Methinks you are being a little snobby. You too Husker.
    I'm not trying to be snobby, I'm just calling a spade a spade. If that is being snobby, thats life I guess.

I'm not saying that the PT1911 isn't or can't be a bargain for some people, all I'm saying is that Taurus has to cut corners somewhere to offer their products at a low price, and make the profit up somewhere. If you are OK with that, thats fine. I'm not. To each his own.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I'll tell a short story and be out of here.

A good, long time customer of ours wanted to buy his first 1911 but because he was new to 1911s he didn't want to spend a lot of money on his first one he bought a Taurus PT1911.

He came back in a week and couldn't stop raving about the gun. He loved, Loved, LOVED it. He wanted to carry it. He wanted to get this and that for it. He couldn't stop talking about the trigger and the sights and blah, blah, blah.

He even went as far as to buy another one for his son.

Fast forward about two months.

Our shop had a raffle and we were raffling off a Springfield Armory Loaded Stainless 1911, brand new.

Guess who won? You're right. Mr. Taurus PT1911.

When he came in to pick up the Springfield after winning it he didn't even take it out of the case before he tried to trade it on something else or sell it outright back to the store for money. He claimed he already had the perfect 1911 he didn't need another one.

My boss didn't want to buy it outright because we already had two more Springfields waiting to be bought and the customer couldn't find anything he wanted to trade it for so he "settled" with taking the Springfield home with him.

Two weeks later he came back in the store and I asked him if he ever got around to shooting the Springfield.

He looked at me and said, "You know what? I thought I couldn't get better than that Taurus but I was wrong. I never thought I'd say it but that Springfield shoots even better than that Taurus."

"So, I take it you aren't looking to get rid of it anymore?"

"Absolutely not," he confirmed. "Now I'm just wondering what else is out there that I'm missing."

That story being relayed I'll say this...

I don't own a Taurus 1911. I have plenty of 1911s that are flawless, beautiful and run like silk over a samurai sword.

I think the Taurus is a GREAT starter 1911. You do get a lot of the fabulous features of modern 1911s (the beavertail grip safety, the ambi safety, etc) with much less cost, but it is not the begin all and end all of 1911s.

I'd say go ahead and get the Taurus. There's no reason not to. It's not a bad gun and it's a heck of a lot better than a vast majority of crap that is out there being passed off as good guns.

What gets on my nerves is that there are a number of people (not here, but who I deal with and work with every day) who pass off the PT1911 as the greatest 1911 to grace this earth. They make it sound like you are getting the same gun if you buy a Taurus as you would be if you bought a Springfield or better and the other guy is just stickin' it to ya and Taurus is being the honest guy by not price gouging you.

That's a bunch of bologna. While there are price gougers out there, most of the time you ARE getting what you paid for. The quality of my Wilson cost me a pretty penny as did the quality of my husband's Baer and let me tell you, we've not found their equal yet and we've shot a LOT of guns.

If I were looking at my first 1911 I'd probably seriously consider a Taurus, but I don't think I'd stop there.

There is something about the 1911 that bites you and doesn't let go. Like the chips you can't just eat one of? You just can't buy one..lol

I would say go to The M1911 Pistols Organization. They have treads from most of the manufacturers of 1911's. Go to these you will find the good, the bad and the ugly about these pistols. Now saying that I have a stainless pt1911. I have put around 1500 shoots through her without a FTF or FTE, using FMJ, JHP and SWC. The first 500 with out cleaning it. I also use it as one of my CC weapons, that is how much faith I have in it. Yes someday I will upgrade, when my ship comes in. Also remember Springfields are also made in Brazil. That fact should really get it going.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Taurus does nothing really bad or really great. I would not buy one.

ranburr

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    You can do a lot better for not much more money in the 1911 world. Base Springfields, Colts, and Kimbers are far superior.
    Really? I got my PT1911 for $479 + tax....Where are you buying a Springfield, Colt or Kimber for that?

I have mulitiple 1911's (Including a couple from the above manufacturers) and find the Taurus to be a very good value for the money.

JD
    Administrator
    Vernonator, may I ask when you bought it? I'm just curious as I've noticed the price range going up closer to $600+ in the last year. When they first hit the market $480-$550 was the average I was seeing locally.

GunsAmerica shows the highest price for a standard PT1911 @ $689 before shipping and transfer.

After shipping and transfer, that would put you in the price range of a Springfield Loaded, or lower/mid tier Kimber IF a PT1911 wasn't available locally

Price also depends on region, cost varies from place to place.

And not that it matters but I paid $450 for my Springfield Loaded.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links