Taurus 1911 Recommendation?

This is a discussion on Taurus 1911 Recommendation? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at the range today, practicing with my CZ-75 9mm. One of my friends came over with a brand new Taurus 1911, and asked ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 1911 Recommendation?

I was at the range today, practicing with my CZ-75 9mm. One of my friends came over with a brand new Taurus 1911, and asked if I would like to try it.

I must admit that I've generally avoided .45's because of recoil issues (perceived or otherwise). This gun, however, was a true pleasure to shoot. The aim was true, and it did not feel uncomfortable at all.

My question is, are there any other Taurus 1911 users out there, and what is your experience with them. I'm now considering getting one, but would love to get some feedback first.

Thanks to all!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

You can do a lot better for not much more money in the 1911 world. Base Springfields, Colts, and Kimbers are far superior.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I just bought a PT1911 in SS. I've had no problems with it. If you do some googling you will see it has many great reviews.

Of course you will get replies here from the "experts" here saying to spend your money on this or that.

On some of the 1911 forums you will find people having problems with the ambi safety on the Taurus. I have not had that problem. If I do then Taurus has a lifetime warranty on there guns.

You will also find people having problems with the "better" guns on these forums also. Yes, even the high price guns have a few lemons in the bunch.

If you want to find opinions on the PT1911 go to www.taurusarmed.net and you can ask those that actually own one and ask what they think instead of hearing opinions from people who only seem to judge a gun by the price tag.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

VIP Member
    I have a Taurus 1911 and it is has been a great shooting gun. So far has been 100% reliable. I don't care for the Heine straight 8 sights it comes with, but I had mine changed out with standard 3 dot night sights. For the money I don't think you will find another 1911 as well equipped.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I have one and its a great shooter.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    I have one and it is spot on. O' how I like to SHOOT it.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Add me to the "fan of the PT1911" crowd. Yes, you can buy more expensive 1911's and each maker will have its fans and detractors. You will also find that each pistol from any company has it's good qualities and its quirks. I've not had any problems with mine in practice or in IDPA. You get a lot of gun for the money. I prefer the sights to the 3-dots I've had on other guns. That's just personal preference. Taurus' Customer Service, in my experience, is no better or no worse than other companies. Turn time depends on what's broken, what's available to do the repair and attitudes from both the customer and the service agent. Having said that, if someone were to give me a Kimber, a loaded Springer or a Baer I probably wouldn't say no!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I say, Go for it! It won't be the last 1911 you buy. You may or may not like it better then others you buy. The point is it is a 1911 and you have to start somewhere. After you have 3 or 4 you can then be more selective, but you can't have just one, It just isn't possible. 1911s are adictive.

I plan to buy a PT1911SS in the next 2 weeks. I want a 1911, and I can't identify a better "starting point." If I catch the 1911 bug, there are plenty of Cadillacs out there. I'll start with this highly rated Chevy.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

my local shop has the pt1911 blued with night sights i can see it in my gun safe soon. i have a S&W 1911 that i love to shoot as well

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    You can do a lot better for not much more money in the 1911 world. Base Springfields, Colts, and Kimbers are far superior.
    Do you own a Taurus 1911?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I've shot a few, and I would say go for it! There are 1911's that you can spend a lot more for, but I would say the Taurus gets you a lot for your money. And as I'm sure you already know, it won't be your last 1911.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

As far as the way the gun handled for you... that is a characteristic of the 1911 platform rather than the brand. So... if you found the 1911 to be a good shooter for you, don't feel restricted to Taurus.

I agree with the majority so far, Taurus seems to make fine guns. I've never had an issue with one (I've owned two) and no one I personally know has had an issue (I know two people who own several). I know a lot of people via the internet that have all kinds of issues with them. Go figure.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

one of the guys i work with bought one last year, and i get to shoot it about once a month when we go shooting. so far, not a single problem with it. he says it had a few FTE the first coupla rounds, but that was it. to contrast, my father's colt officer's model has had numerous problems with feeding/ejecting jams, and colt's customer service is practically non-existant. he put a lot of work into getting it running right. so much for "name "brand" 1911s....

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Do you own a Taurus 1911?
    The range I instruct at does. I would not.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links