Could not seat the magazine

This is a discussion on Could not seat the magazine within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I ran a previous thread about not being able to fully load a magazine for my .40 Glocks. Two tips were very useful. 1. Fully ...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I ran a previous thread about not being able to fully load a magazine for my .40 Glocks. Two tips were very useful.

1. Fully load the magazine (or at least as many as you can get in) and let it sit there for a week or so. Then as the spring is loosened, I should be able to get the last round it.

2. If I tap the magazine as I load it, the cartridges will sort of reorganize themselves and allow that last cartridge to be loaded.

Well, I did just that. And today I was able to insert the last cartridge into my 27's magazine. HOWEVER, when I inserted the magazine into the gun, it would not seat. Ugh. I guess the spring is still a bit too tight.

Interested, too, is I have had no such issues with my 9mm Glocks. At this point, the difference in carrying the 26 and the 27 is now two extra rounds, instead of one. That is enough to make me switch calibers.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Are you seating a full mag on a closed slide or open? Not that it should make any difference, but the 40cal does seem to have a different cant to it for the top round versus a 9mm. I'm thinking the spring may be binding at the bottom. Can you see all of the loaded rounds through the windows in the back of the mag or are they a bit off toward the bottom? How many mags have you tried like this? You have several, but only one will take the full ten rounds? Tell us more. I just dislike hearing of concerns with the Glock and issues that might easily be fixed. Granted the Glock is not for everyone. It's a serious pistol for serious people in my opinion. Not pretty, but combat ready.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Are you seating a full mag on a closed slide or open?
    I am doing this on my 27. I have a round already chambered. I removed the magazine, tapped it a few times and was able to load the last round. I then reinserted the magazine. It did not seat. I gave it a real firm tap...and again. It just would not seat.

Not that it should make any difference, but the 40cal does seem to have a different cant to it for the top round versus a 9mm. I'm thinking the spring may be binding at the bottom. Can you see all of the loaded rounds through the windows in the back of the mag or are they a bit off toward the bottom?
    I can see all the rounds.

How many mags have you tried like this? You have several, but only one will take the full ten rounds?
    I have three. I tried it with all three.

I just dislike hearing of concerns with the Glock and issues that might easily be fixed. Granted the Glock is not for everyone. It's a serious pistol for serious people in my opinion. Not pretty, but combat ready.
    I have turned into my own mini-armor. I bought all the manuals and a DVD or two. I have completely stripped the gun and reassembled it several times. I love how it shoots and operates. I would have no other gun, so I really would like to get this issue resolved.

Thanks for your input, Ram Rod.
    Last edited by ExactlyMyPoint; June 23rd, 2008 at 09:01 PM.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I am having the same problem. So far, none of the standard suggestions worked (let it sit, or "stomping" the magazine). I just keep one round less in the magazine. You maybe able to insert it with the slide open, but not with a round in the chamber ( so you can't load a full magazine and a round in the chamber).

I once managed to "force" the magazine in, but it wouldn't feed the first round. There also seems to be a slight difference with different ammunition brands, but not enough to actually make all rounds fit nicely.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Links