Negative Encounters with the General Public

This is a discussion on Negative Encounters with the General Public within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-bad-idea.html along with a lot of the comments I've read here have got me wondering whether many of you have had negative encounters ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-bad-idea.html

along with a lot of the comments I've read here have got me wondering whether many of you have had negative encounters with the general public regarding firearms and concealed carry in general.

I used to think I was pretty "average"- but I am beginning to think that I was raised (and continue to live) in a particularly gun friendly area of a gun friendly state and region (possibly by gun nuts ).

For instance- I have never questioned the ownership of guns- my Dad always had them, they were always in the house, my grandparents had them, all my Dad's friends had them... I always knew these things. As an adult... the vast majority of my friends own guns. We all know who owns what, and who prefers to carry what, and often why. The purchase of a new gun in our little circle is cause for celebration. Even among the few friends I have who don't own guns, I can't imagine more than a slight roll of the eyes in connection with a gun conversation. Certainly I can't imagine condemnation or the loss of a friendship.

As a result of all this, I tend to be pretty open about guns. We talk about them all day long at work (guns, hunting, football, politics- the daily fodder). Come fall the bench will come out and various rifles will be getting spruced up in the office. We've had customers come in during these goings-on- and never a negative comment.

Have the majority of you had experiences significantly different than that?

-H
    Last edited by chickdiver; June 24th, 2008 at 02:44 PM.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

I get negative reactions from the public all the time. But very rarely about guns.

I carry openly while waiting for my permit and I'm usually wearing a visible holster when I can't carry the firearm. Lots of people come up to me and talk to me about guns. These are those folks who are interested in them.

The fearful usually just endure my presence until I leave. I have a few refuse to wait on me the second time around or on a return visit. However, for the most part no one says anything negative about the guns/holster/ammo carrier.

Senior Moderator
    Well I don't have any clothes with gun logos on them.

I do have a Springfield coffee mug (I need to replace it with a DC mug) that lives on my desk, it doesn't get noticed much.

My In-laws are Mennonite and are suppose to Pacifists. Some were horrified when they found out that I not only on guns but routinely carry them with me on a daily basis.

But my father-in-law always wants to go shooting with me when they come to visit
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

JD
    Administrator
    Negative encounters?

Can't say that I have except for that one time at the mall when my holster broke and my gun fell on the floor.

Other than that it's all been swell.

No issues here about guns or clothing.

I generally do not advertise with clothing. Being in "liberal" New York, that sort of thing doesn't go over very well. Don't ask... don't tell!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Moderator
    Interestingly enough the only negative encounter I've ever had was as an employee in a gun shop.

I was leaning over reaching for a pen that was about to roll off a counter top. At the same time the owner of the store was standing behind me and either saw my gun printing or bumped into it while trying to get past me (behind the counter is pretty narrow and I'm not sure which it was as my back was turned). I felt a bump on my gun, that's it.

I turned just as the guy reached out and patted my gun through my sweater.

He said, "Is that a gun?"

I said, "Yes."

He started yelling (and I do mean yelling) at me that how dare I bring a loaded gun into his store and I was to get it out of there immediately. At the same time he tried pulling back my sweater and started reaching for the gun.

I turned to protect my gun side and to protect myself and my gun if necessary when his son grabbed him and tried to explain I had a permit.

He said he didn't care what I had I had no business carrying a gun in his store and to take it out and put it in my car.

All the customers were staring. Another employee was trying to say that it probably wasn't a good idea to leave it in the car, that maybe I should put it in the safe there. His son was still trying to calm him down and I was heading for the door.

I've open carried before and had people come up to me and ask me about the gun on my hip. I've talked guns with a number of people from staunch antis to pro-gunners. I've had more encounters than I could possibly recall and the only one that was negative and even potentially dangerous was in a gun shop with the store owner (even though the store is not posted and customers are allowed to carry either concealed or openly).

I find that just a little ironic, hypocritical and sad, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Interestingly enough the only negative encounter I've ever had was as an employee in a gun shop.

In a gun shop, of all places? That's strange.

The sign at our local shop says: "All firearms must be checked at front desk, except if legally allowed to carry concealed."
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

No offense, but it sounds like the old guy is a right nutter.

I guess being in a college town in central FL makes it a lot more anti-gun around here, I'm not really open to anyone about guns except my close friends. The majority of them are either gun owners or go to the range with me occasionally, so their stance is pro-2A. I'm assuming you are probably from the northern to central part of Florida, because there's tons of great places to dive there and the background in your picture is wooded. The overall attitude is a lot more pro-gun in those regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp View Post
    I guess being in a college town in central FL makes it a lot more anti-gun around here, I'm not really open to anyone about guns except my close friends. The majority of them are either gun owners or go to the range with me occasionally, so their stance is pro-2A. I'm assuming you are probably from the northern to central part of Florida, because there's tons of great places to dive there and the background in your picture is wooded. The overall attitude is a lot more pro-gun in those regions.
    Yep- I'm a NWFL native. My parents' families are from coastal MS and central AL- so I guess that helps ;). Even college I didn't encounter "anti-s"... but then I went to college in central AL as well.

I've open carried before and had people come up to me and ask me about the gun on my hip. I've talked guns with a number of people from staunch antis to pro-gunners. I've had more encounters than I could possibly recall and the only one that was negative and even potentially dangerous was in a gun shop with the store owner (even though the store is not posted and customers are allowed to carry either concealed or openly).

It seems both hypocritical and arrogant that an owner of a gun store would restrict the Second Amendment rights of his employees while recognizing that his customers do have those rights.

I know that any store owner in VA can post a "no guns allowed" sign and the general interpretation of the law is that we must abide by it. However, I do not believe that the policy can be discriminatory.

If a gun store owner trusts his employees to safely handle firearms, then he should not object to them carrying legally. If the owner has an employee who he does not think can handle guns safely, then he should get rid of this employee (I would not want to be in a gun store that was staffed by people that the owner didn't trust).

And most importantly, if the bad guys find out that employees of a particular gun store are unarmed, the store becomes a HUGE target.

On the few occasions that I have worn my NRA hat...I've only had positive comments made which were usually followed a discussion (with a complete stranger) about firearms and crime, etc...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sorry to hear about your bad day at work Limatunes, sounds to me like the store owner is a real jerk. I would want my employees to be carrying in case of a robbery or some nut job trying to load up one of the firearms and killing everyone in the shop.

That guy clearly needs his head examined, just about all the gun shop employees that I know carry on a daily basis.
    God bless our troops!

Senior Moderator
    Have the majority of you had experiences significantly different than that?
    Nope. Pretty much the same thing.

But it is defiantly a cultural thing.

If the anti-gun senator from Mob City Central running for President had a clue of how many guns were here he would fall over dead with a heart attack due to shock,fear and disbelief.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links