Mini Rant On CCW Permits, never heard this said before...

This is a discussion on Mini Rant On CCW Permits, never heard this said before... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think concealed carry should be universal but a permit required for open carry, since you are then exposing the firearm and yourself to increased ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Rant On CCW Permits, never heard this said before...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

I think concealed carry should be universal but a permit required for open carry, since you are then exposing the firearm and yourself to increased scrutiny.

I consider a concealed carry permit a "fabric" permit, as you must have a permit to place fabric over your otherwise legal weapon. Isn't it about time the government got out of the fashion business?

Originally, permits were created so that only honest, upstanding citizens (code word for white, friends of the sheriff) could carry firearms discretely. Open carry was the way to go but eventually has become uncultured and uncityfied.

Now politicians, cops and antis alike say, "Can't you just conceal it?" Concealed carry has become accepted, the de facto default option. Open carry is no longer the baseline, it is the extreme.

The pendulum of social acceptance has swung. We are left waiting for the law to catch up.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I was perusing movies at my local retail store. One movie, a western, had the hero and his woman standing outside their homestead. He had a rifle and an open carry revolver strapped to his leg. I am sure no one gives that picture a second thought. Do that now and you have SWAT teams descending upon you faster than you can say DC vs. Heller.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    the hero and his woman standing outside their homestead.
    In rural areas, it is still very much, "my land, my law," ie, you have the right to OC. I know Leadville, CO; Denver, CO; and I believe Abilene, TX all had no-carry laws rigidly enforced by around 1840. Reading reports of the time, however, if you were "concealed" and had to use it (and weren't a criminal) it was a non-issue.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I am not against open carry, but I cannot understand why anyone would want too?

You are first target on the criminal shooters list. Probably would even cause a criminal shooter to shoot first even when he/she might not have used a gun at all.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I am not against open carry, but I cannot understand why anyone would want too?

You are first target on the criminal shooters list. Probably would even cause a criminal shooter to shoot first even when he/she might not have used a gun at all.
    That might be so but on the other hand it can also say to a BG pick another victim. No way for the BG to know if I'm trained to use it or not. So He does not take the chance.
    NRA Member

I would favor an "open carry option". Right now, at least in FL, I am allowed to carry concealed with permit. However, according to the letter of the law, I have to be very careful that may gun is not accidentally exposed. If I had an open carry option, I would still carry concealed but I would have to worry less about exposing by mistake.

That said: One of my concerns is to be accused by someone of actually "brandishing". If they know you carry (e.g. your gun is printing badly), they call the cops claiming that you threatened them with your gun. The cops come out, and you have to explain that you didn't... well, i know "innocent until proven guilty". But what do you think will happen, and at least it would be a lot of hassle.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    I would favor an "open carry option". Right now, at least in FL, I am allowed to carry concealed with permit. However, according to the letter of the law, I have to be very careful that may gun is not accidentally exposed. If I had an open carry option, I would still carry concealed but I would have to worry less about exposing by mistake.

That said: One of my concerns is to be accused by someone of actually "brandishing". If they know you carry (e.g. your gun is printing badly), they call the cops claiming that you threatened them with your gun. The cops come out, and you have to explain that you didn't... well, i know "innocent until proven guilty". But what do you think will happen, and at least it would be a lot of hassle.

Being "temporarily exposed" is nothing even close to being the same as "brandishing"
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    That might be so but on the other hand it can also say to a BG pick another victim. No way for the BG to know if I'm trained to use it or not. So He does not take the chance.
    Problem with that is you have given up any advantage you might have had even if it is good training. If the BG spots you first he has the upper hand. Just because you might have good training doesnt mean you have spotted trouble before it spots you.

TyC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I'd like to see any stats to support that statement. I know many off duty cops open carry and they aren't dropping like flies.

The opposite can also be true. Armed man means i'll wait to commit my crime or go elsewhere.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Open carry in public doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

ranburr

Quote Originally Posted by TyC View Post
    I'd like to see any stats to support that statement. I know many off duty cops open carry and they aren't dropping like flies.

The opposite can also be true. Armed man means i'll wait to commit my crime or go elsewhere.
    TyC: Ditto, I was thinking about that the other day when 2 guys came into Wendy's with there pistols on their hips. Being dressed in there white shirt, tie, and slacks, I presumed they were officers, but it wasn't until they were in line on the other side that I saw badge and cuffs. Even when on-duty, you don't hear of cops being shot all the time just because they had a gun on them, and when you do the wrath of the entire force is following some dumb schmuck.

I agree with the OP, the tide has changed and OC would get you some looks. I know many/most of you don't care for OC, but if John Q. Public saw how many people safely carry everyday, without our guns "going off", there may be, over a course of time, a shift in opinion (or rather a return).

I'd be happy if all the states would just go to a Vermont style setup. It works very well.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by TyC View Post

I'm sure my take on open carry is because of where i live...Wisconsin. We are not allowed to CC and even though we are an open carry state, I have never seen anyone exorcise that right. SO if i were to ever see someone open carrying and they were decently dressed my first thought would be...detective. I have to think a BG would think the same thing and if this BG decides to do something BG like...well then he pretty much has a death wish. I just don't see that happening enough to dissuade me from open carry...if i had the nads to do it in the first place i mean

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I don't open carry.
    I don't have stickers on my car.
    I don't wear logo clothing.

If I have to go SD, I want the advantage of surprise.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links