Dry Fire

This is a discussion on Dry Fire within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Many espouse dry firing to be a good training tool. I understand the potential benefits. But dry firing violates the Four Rules. The thread 'Idiots' ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Fire

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Dry Fire

Many espouse dry firing to be a good training tool. I understand the potential benefits.

But dry firing violates the Four Rules.

The thread 'Idiots' is the sad reminder of the dangers of dry firing. Many recommend keeping ammunition is a different room and even announcing to yourself the gun is hot after reloading.

How do we reconcile advocating dry firing and always adhering to the Four Rules?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Dry fire in a safe direction. Triple check the gun is indeed unloaded. (I use snap caps as well, so a red cartridge is loaded in all the mags I practice with). Use your brain to think thru what you are doing.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

When I practice using the dry fire method I quadruple check to make sure that the gun is empty. I never point it anywhere in the house that I think would cause a ricochet just in case. I still worry that one day I will have to explain the hole in one of my walls. This is also why I never point the gun at anyone.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Many espouse dry firing to be a good training tool. I understand the potential benefits.

The thread 'Idiots' is the sad reminder of the dangers of dry firing. Many recommend keeping ammunition is a different room and even announcing to yourself the gun is hot after reloading.

How do we reconcile advocating dry firing and always adhering to the Four Rules?
    Perhaps your not comfortable with your own safety standards.

Dry firing is in fact a recommended method of training. In fact, most of the higher end firesarms instructors, like Paul Howe, Larry Vickers, and FLETC firearms instructors will have dry firing 70% of the time in their classes, live fire 30 %.

Taking from that, one only needs to clear the weapon, remove magazine, insert dummy round and point toward the brick wall an begin dry firing drills. I double sometimes triple check the chamber prior to squeezing off the trigger for dry firing drills.

The advantages of this are simple. You will retain muscle memory for the firearm that you are going to regularly carry.

I dry fire with a Sig P228 every single day and my muscle memory is now sharp enough to know just exactly how many Lps of pressure that DA trigger is going to need to discharge/drop the hammer during dry firing drills. Firing double taps and controlled pairs is now lock into memory, in fact I can squeeze off six shots without ever feeling any forearm fatigue.

I can't stress dry firing enough, but if your not willing to double check and or triple check the chamber and an empty magazine then it's really not about the 4 rules of safety now is it ???
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Administrator
    Well, just like near 'bout everything else there can be 99 ways to do something right and one way to do something wrong and somebody "out there" will work real hard to find that one way to do it all wrong.

Everybody should dry-fire practice. Same old story.
    Just be a little extra careful, have basic Gun Safety on your mind ~ THINK! & pay attention to what you are doing and then go for it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I let the first one go toward my neighbor's constantly barking dog, just in case.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I let the first one go toward my neighbor's constantly barking dog, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post

Good plan.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Dry firing in and of itself does not violate any of the 4 basic safety rules.

1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded. – No problem, do not do anything stupid, while practicing or any other time..
    2. Always point the muzzle in a safe direction; never point a firearm at anyone or anything you don't want to shoot. - Again, no problem – make sure that whatever you are using for a target is something that you do not mind putting a hole in.
    3. Always know your target and what lies beyond. - Again, no problem –Know what is behind your target just as if you were using live ammo, make sure that you are not endangering anything beyond your target just in case a mistake is made..
    4. Keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot. – Again, no problem. This should be part of your training anyway.

Personally, when I practice my dry fire drills I am in the basement using boxes of old computer cables for targets. If, for whatever reason, a live round were to get fired I would be putting a hole in a cardboard box of obsolete, unusable cables that I just have not gotten around to getting rid of yet. The backstop is an 8” cement wall below ground level. IF anything does accidently happen the only thing to be hurt will be my pride and I might, maybe have to plug a hole in the basement wall, but more than likely the round will lodge in the box of garbage cables – no problem.

There are many times we don't follow the 4 rules. Appendix carry is one of them, so is a shoulder holster. When you put your gun on the counter, I bet you don't duck to go under the 'line of fire'.
    It's not always possible to be in compliance with all four rules at once...three out of four will keep you, your valuables, and others safe.
    The guy in the idiots thread violated 3 of them. I'll give him a pass on knowing his target cuz it seems like he shot where he was aiming.

It's like most things in life. You can generally get away with doing one thing wrong all the time, but when you do two things wrong accidents are likely, and when you are doing three things wrong, you can just about bet on an accident.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I have heard that dry firing damages the gun somehow... ??? ??? ? ?? ?
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Quote Originally Posted by Balsac View Post
    I have heard that dry firing damages the gun somehow... ??? ??? ? ?? ?
    use snap caps.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Depends on the gun. Doesn't hurt a 1911 in the least.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I clear and check the weapon any time I am about to pull the trigger dry. I also have a ballistic vest panel mounted on my wall that I use as a dryfire target. The place it is mounted is also the one direction from my townhouse I think of as reasonably safe in the event a round did go through it---high enough to go over pedestrians with a large berm on the other side of the parking lot.

I use all four rules every time I dry fire.

(And I like my neighbor's dog. )
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Moderator
    Which one does it violate?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links