Daughter to start carrying

This is a discussion on Daughter to start carrying within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some guy who we dont even know had stoped by to see my brother inlaw. This guy is about 25 years old. he decided that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daughter to start carrying

Some guy who we dont even know had stoped by to see my brother inlaw. This guy is about 25 years old. he decided that he was going to take a shining to my 26 year old daughter. Well as most do he started with the love taps which led into trying to undo her bathing suit top. yes, I steped in and confronted him. I told him face to face you dont EVER enter a mans home and do that to a woman. He said something so I removed my Glock 30 and threw it onto the couch and told him I dont need it for someone of his stature. he said he would see himself out and I said I think you better. My daughter loves to take long walks down the road for exercise. Around here things are scary especially when the police ride around looking for escaped convicts. So I gave her my Glock 30 and made her promise 2 things, 1 was never let a man treat her like that, the second was to never leave for a walk without her gun on her side. She has no CC permit, but open carry is legal. Now I feel a bit safer. I am going to see if I can get her to take a course so she can get her CCP.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

I don't think it's a wise move to confront somebody you don't even know and then throw your handgun in a place where if he's a psycho may allow him access to your weapon and he end up shooting you,what were you attempting to accomplish by throwing your handgun on the couch,I would of told him you need to leave now and your not welcome back onto my property ever,where I live once you tell somebody to leave if he refuses it's trespassing.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Two things. 1) Does she know how to shoot? 2) Could she bring herself to shoot another person? Even if she does know how to shoot if she hasn't the stomach for the job having the gun may cause her to be in more danger. If she has a good size and protective dog, she should take the dog along with her for the walks. Good luck on persuadeing the guy to develop other interests.

The guy (25 yr old) sounds like a real headcase. Who goes to someones house, that they don't even know, and acts like that? Unreal.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    The guy (25 yr old) sounds like a real headcase. Who goes to someones house, that they don't even know, and acts like that? Unreal.
    I was thinking the samething.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

I wouldn't have had to stand up. Either of my daughters would have knocked him into next week.
    Both do however have their CCW's.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

A bit of advice; I always fancied myself as a bad ass in my youth. That is until a guy substantially smaller than me beat the living crap out of me. Now, I am too fat and old to even pretend to be a toughie. The moral of this story is that I always carry a gun, because you just don't know who is a ninja these days! Don't ever take out your gun unless you are shooting somebody.

ranburr

What if when you threw your gun on the couch, he pulled a gun out of his pocket?

At least he left, and everyone is still healthy!

Stay armed...always...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 27th, 2008 at 03:59 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Whether what you did was the best course or action or not, obviously it worked for the time being. It got him away from your daughter at least (and yeah, I agree, anyone who will come into someone's home and do that is a nut job and I'm impressed you didn't just confront him by breaking his teeth out with a frying pan (that would have been my solution).. No one touches my children and tries to take their clothing off without serious repercussions (and my first isn't even born yet!!)).

Anyway, I think it's time for a serious father/daughter talk.

First (and I'm going to be assuming a lot), I'm assuming she's not in a relationship. I'd say the first order of business would be to talk to her about what a real man treats a woman like. I don't know if she was encouraging this guys behavior or telling him to stop or just trying to avoid him or what, but any way you cut it, no guy worth his salt tries that upon just meeting a woman without ill intentions.

As a daughter I would have given the world to have my father take interest in my love life and tell me what a real man was like, maybe it would have kept me from fumbling through the losers I chose before I wised up and waited for JD.

Second, I also agree with what was said about making sure she's ready for the responsibility of carrying a firearm, especially openly.

The moment I started reading about her taking long walks I couldn't help but see her walking down the road, this creep driving by in his pickup truck or car and taking out his humiliations on her, first verbally, then possibly getting physical. With the firearm being completely open he (or anyone) can try and go for it. If he saw any fear or hesitation on her part he, more than likely, could easily take your Glock away from her and a bad situation just went to the worst of all. I know I don't have to tell you how bad you'd feel if the very gun you gave your daughter for her defense became the tool used to subdue her and hurt her.

Run over that exact scenario with her and ask her, honestly, if she could see herself drawing that gun and potentially KILLING THAT MAN (don't make it vague, don't ask her if she's willing to hurt some stranger to save her life, ask her if she would be able to KILL THE VERY MAN who came into your home and tried to start things with her) because it is possible he may come back and try all over again but this time more aggressively, and if she's not willing then you have a whole other problem on your hands.

Often, it's easy for people to agree that they could kill a complete stranger, but if you point to someone they actually met (even if it was just for a few moments) they hesitate because NOW it's too personal. They have the feeling that if they ever need their firearm in self defense it's against some stranger who attacks them in a dark alley, when in actuality they are much more likely to be attacked by someone they know than by a stranger. Make sure she understands that.

If she says she is willing then great, work on some shooting skills and retention skills, especially while she's carrying openly.

If she was shaken up by this event, good! Maybe it will stay with her as a soft reminder that there really are creeps out there and if they are willing to get that fresh while her father's standing in the room, just imagine what they are willing to do when you AREN'T there defending her.

Good for you for standing up to the punk. Here's hoping you or your daughter never has to see him again.

I don't know how you let him walk out the door without two broke legs! He was lucky.

+1 on everything Lima said!! You daughter has to get herself mentally prepared to carry a gun, including taking another's life if hers is threatened. If she's not, help her to get prepared mentally before you send her out with a gun. To me, it sounds like she needs some guidance from Dad. Seems like she needs to be prepared for guys too. Take her to the range, teach her, train her, as well as teach & show her what a real gentleman and protector is. Most likely she'll find a husband with those qualities. And if another loser comes a knocking, she'll know how to break his legs, and stand up for herself. She'll also be able to spot him a mile away. No scope needed. Don't deflect decisions back to her when she can't yet make good ones.

Thanks for loving and watching out for her! Every girl craves that whether or not they'll tell you.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

First off, glad it worked out for the better for you and your daughter. Second, don't ever take your gun out and toss it away.

As stated before, this knucklehead may have been armed, unless he was in a Speedo you have know way of knowing (don't anyone go there ) and you just disarmed yourself against someone you don't know. For example Bruce Lee was not that big of a guy, but could tear someone up before they knew it.

If this had happened to me, and yes I am armchair quarterbacking here, I would have told the guy that is not appropriate and to leave. I have a feeling he may not have the first time you ask. I would then had informed him he had been asked to leave and since he didn't he is now trespassing, and I would call 911 while keeping an eye on him and making sure I was in between him and anyone else.. All of this would be above board and legal, but at least you gave this idiot a chance to wise up.

With that said, I can't say for sure what I would do if someone touched my baby girls that way, especially with me there. I would hope I would do the above, but until someone is actually in that situation it can't be certain.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I won't second guess your actions.
    I will +1 on Lima's reply.
    Watch your back, my friend.
    Watch hers even closer!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

i did not feel threatened at the time. I do get angry and I did not want to do something that I may had regreted later. Thats why I threw the gun on the couch. I may be pushing 50, but no one yet has kicked my butt! not to worry though, my HK .45 was still with me in the small of my back. May be old, but not stupid. My daughter told him she was seeing someone, but you know how some of these idiots are. I do not get into my back ground too much, thats personal, but lets just say I was taught how to defend myself or take a mans life without a gun. I carry it in case it becomes 2 or more on one. She has shot my .45 ACP many times before and does not have a problem with it. To be honest, she held back on this dude because the last one who hit her, she turned around and belted him in the nose. he told everyone he ran into a tree. yeh, right, embarrased because a girl decked him.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Well, in that case great to hear all went well. And great for having a daughter who can pop a guy and not think twice about it. Both my girls are in Tae Kwon-Do right now and I pray they can defend themselves one day, if it ever got to that.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    I may be pushing 50, but no one yet has kicked my butt!

That just means that you just haven't been in enough fights.

ranburr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links