Finally got the gun safe

Finally got the gun safe

This is a discussion on Finally got the gun safe within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I finally got the gun safe. It is a Cannon Safari series. It was on super duper sale which helped defray the cost of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got the gun safe

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Finally got the gun safe

Well, I finally got the gun safe. It is a Cannon Safari series. It was on super duper sale which helped defray the cost of delivering it. It is a substantial step up from the StackOn cabinet I had.

My son and I spent several hours this evening bolting it to the floor. I learned a lot about the floors of my house. Missed the joist by this much. Oh well, it is mostly secure, bolted into the floor boards. I am sure it will stop a thief as he is not going to get into it easily. Not a true safe, but a decent RSC.

I bought this particular safe because it was big (I kept reading buy more than you need) and the warranty. Can't beat the warranty. Complete replacement and they pay shipping.

I talked to Cannon about their safe. Apparently safe prices are going up mostly because of the cost of steel and shipping to stores. We discussed the merits of their safes versus the others. He mentioned some features and I am sure if I talked to Browning or AmSec, they would have tauted their wares.

The interior material (shelving) is rather cheaply made. It is fiberboard covered with material. According to Cannon, this material is the overrun from car manufacturers. Whodathunk?

The lock is top notch being a Sargeant and Greenleaf. It has a key on it that locks the combination lock from rotating. An extra measure of security. It also allows you to lock it with just the key if you are going to be in and out of it all day and just need a less secure/more convenient way of getting into the safe.

Here are some pictures of me filling it up with my three plus guns. It has an interesting configuration. I have relatively short rifles and carbines and the safe only has one level for the horizontal shelf. I wish I could lower it to accommodate the shorter barrel guns. However, if you have long barrel rifles, it will accommodate those nicely.

I need more guns to really fill this up. Donations are welcome ()
    Attached Images
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

to get all my long guns in there i would have to leave out the lower shelves
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have a Cannon safe also. Been very pleased with it so far. I did have to use their warranty service recently. The lock malfunctioned. I called Cannon and they made arrangements for a locksmith to come and fix the problem. No hassles and very friendly to deal with.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Congrats on the new unit!

Definitely consider adjusting the bolts such that they go through the joists, since with a 60", several hundred pound lever it will be relatively simple to rip up the light floor boards during a theft.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Do the pins go into all four walls? I have 2 safes and am looking for a third. Nice safe.....now get that thing filled. Just FYI check this out where you live but here if you keep IRS records in it you can use it as a tax deduction over 3 years. According to my tax buy anyway.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

If you missed the joists, you could place a 2 x 6 spanning 2 joists with hangers (like on a deck) and bolts thru the 2 x 6. This will get you the desired results.

Very nice......congratulations!

Senior Moderator
    Nice safe,

Yeah you do need more guns
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

eww
    You have good taste, I have the same one. Now you can work on filling it up.

See you got the standard dial set good for you I do not trust an electronic combination set, may you outgrow it one day.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Awesome safe, whats the combination lol jk

I have been looking at the same safe online but how much do they weigh? I dont know if I can get on up the stairs where I want it without a small army of guys to lift

Nice purchase...you will immediately feel a bit more secure each time you now leave the home...it's nice feeling!

Stay armed...protect your weapons...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

EMP,

Great looking safe! Can you tell me what the exterior dimensions of that model are (or the model number) so I can look it up on Cannon/Safari's web site?

Brian

Nice safe. From everything I've ever heard or read, Cannon builds a great safe.

Don't be too anxious to fill it up or it will start looking like:
    Safe 1

Safe 2

Safe 3

I really need a second safe.

Again, congratulations on your safe. It does make you feel better when you have to leave the house.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Nice safe. From everything I've ever heard or read, Cannon builds a great safe.

Don't be too anxious to fill it up or it will start looking like:
    Safe 1

Safe 2

Safe 3

I really need a second safe.

Again, congratulations on your safe. It does make you feel better when you have to leave the house.

Hoss
    CV...

Nice pistola collection!

It must be difficult deciding 'who' to take for a walk...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links